Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

21. Problem is an Understatement

21. Problem is an Understatement

(Max’s POV)

Max was sitting outside his favorite coffee shop in Pittsburgh. He had gone alone needing to think and trying to give Nicole and Cara sometime alone, since Cara was leaving later that afternoon after her two week stay. He hadn’t thought much about the last away trip but now it weighed heavy on his mind.

Nicole had been barred from traveling with the team because of her bruised ribs. She didn’t seem to mind too much, it gave her more time to hang out with her friend, but Max could hear in her voice the longing to be with the team and back on the ice. He shook his head, ‘this girl was meant to play.’

The trip was part of the Canadian tour. One of the longest next to the Western trip. The team had been in Montreal, Max’s home. He had talked to Nicole after the loss, it had become second nature to him. He craved her voice when they were apart. It seemed crazy to him how much he loved her and they had only been together a few months.

After, he went out with the boys, both on the team and buddies from the area. That was mistake number one. The second was deciding to drink, he had a bad habit of turning into a party animal when alcohol was involved. The third was letting the busty blonde grind against him; all night.

It wasn’t like he took her back to the hotel with him. Even inebriated, he had enough since to leave her at the bar. The problem wasn’t even the make out session on the couch, against the wall, or in the bathroom that someone took pictures of and were circulating the internet and sports blogs like wild fire. The problem was this was the second time he had picked up a chick while he was with Nicole. She was going to be furious.

Nicole hadn’t seen the pictures, yet. Max hoped she wouldn’t find them but he knew that he needed to tell her before she jumped to conclusions. They had briefly talked about cheating while they were talking about old flames. He'll never understand why they got on the subject. Maybe it was the picture he found of Nicole and her high school sweetheart.

Nicole had dated a guy for a short time right after high school but before she was drafted. The guy didn't think she would get drafted even though she worked harder then the guys on her team. All those hours spent in the gym and on the ice left the guy feeling jaded and one night at a frat party he took some girl up to his dorm. Nicole found out and kicked the guy to the curb without allowing for an explanation.

'If he didn't care enough about me to keep it in his pants then he didn't deserve me,' was her response. Max knew right then if he ever messed up he was toast.

Just then his phone rang bringing him out of the memory.

“Talbo, where are you?!” Flowers familiar accent came through the line.
“Out, what do you need?” He answered in a clipped tone.
“Burrr, that was cold my friend. I was going to invite you over for some COD. You in?”

Max thought about it for a minute; Flower was one of his closest friends on the team, and he already knew what happened the first time at the bar. Maybe he could talk to the Frenchman and get some outside input on what he should do.

“Max? You there?”
“I’ll be there in ten.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“About time you showed your ugly mug.”
“Nice to see you too Flower.”
“Marc! Leave Maxime alone,” Vero, Flowers longtime girlfriend, called from the kitchen.
“It’s all in good fun,” Flower said with a grin.
“I know. It always is. I am going out by the way, with a few of the girls. I will be back in a few hours,” Vero said, giving Marc a peck on the cheek before exiting the door.

Max fallowed Flower to his basement/entertainment area. They played a few rounds of COD and trash talking each other and the couple of guys who were playing from home. Marc knew something was up with Max but he also knew his fellow Frenchman would talk when he was ready. Max wanted to open up to his friend but he didn’t know how to begin.

Marc decided to try and broach the subject.

“So what was Nic up too today?”
“Spending some time with Cara before she heads back home. Maybe meeting up with Vero and the girls. I don’t know.”

Max was so nonchalant about it. Normally he knew what Nicole was always doing and where. It was how the functioned.

“Oh, okay.”

“Marc,”

Flower paused the game and turned to his teammate. Max never used his name unless it was serious.

“I may have a problem.”
“Like what?”
“When we were in Montreal, I may have run into an old friend.”
“And?” Flower hated where this conversation was going. He loved Max like a brother, but he loved Nicole too and he didn’t want to see her get hurt.

“And I may have cheated on Nicole.”
Marc snorted, “If that is true then you having a problem is an understatement my friend.”
Max’s heart plummeted, he knew Marc was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize if it seems short. between work and finals my mind is short circuiting ha. Let me know what you guys think and like always comments, advice, and constructive criticism is always welcomed!