Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

22. What?

22. What?!?

(Nicole POV)

Nicole had just dropped Cara off at the airport. The girls shared a teary goodbye with promises of seeing each other soon. Nic hated crying and usually waited until she was alone before letting her emotions take over. She waved one last time before Cara turned to find her plane.
Nicole made her way back to short term parking when Vero called.

“Bonjour Nicole.”
“Hi V. Whats up?” Nic said while trying to cover a sniffle.
“What is wrong ma chère fille?” Vero new Nicole well after all the time the two spent together while Nic was out on IR.
“It’s nothing. Just leaving the airport.”
“I see. Are you still coming to dinner with the girls and me? We will understand if you would rather not.”
“No I’m coming still.”
“Oh fantastique! We shall see you soon then, oui?”
“Yes V. I’ll see you soon.”

Nicole hung up feeling slightly better. She loved the wives and girlfriends of the guys, especially Vero, Carole-Lyne, and Maureen. They had accepted Nicole right from the start while the others took some time to warm up to the idea of a woman playing on the team. A few still didn’t like the idea but had seemed to come around to liking Nicole; of course, it helps that she was in a relationship. Nicole smiled thinking about her team. She had really lucked out being picked by the Pens organization.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max POV)

After several more rounds of COD Max and Marc decided to call up a few guys and ordered dinner; the girls were having a girls night so why not them?

Marc had just turned the T.V. to some football game when the doorbell rang. Sidney was the first to arrive, of course. He was the most punctual person Max had ever seen next to Nicole. They both hated being late and would get mad if someone made them late. Duper, Jordan, and Tanger arrived next then Chris. James and Pauly arrived together and Geno was last like always.

“About time you got here G,” Sidney chirped from the couch.
“Is not my fault.”
“You always say that,” Jordan said as he came back from the kitchen.
“Is truth.”
“Even Max was here before you,” Pascal called out.
“No count. Max already here.”
“He has a point,” Max chimed in.
“Yeah, but if Nic was here he would have been on time,” Tanger razzed.
“The only time he’s ever on time is if she gets his ass moving. You wouldn’t be able to function without Nic,” Chris chirped.

Max didn’t say anything. Chris had a point, even if he didn’t know it. Nicole took care of everything and always made sure he was on time. In fact, he hadn’t been late for a single practice since they had been together. The pizza arrived saving Max from having to come up with a witty answer to save face.

The guys were quiet for a few minutes as they got settled again, then Duper spoke up.

“You know, jokes aside, I’m proud of you Talbo.”
Max nearly choked on his slice. Geno reached over and slapped him on the back to dislodge the bite.
“What do you mean?” Max questioned after the cleared his throat.
“You Mon ami. I am proud of the man you are growing to be. Before Nicole, well you know how you were.”

Max blushed a deep red. If only Duper new the truth; he would have a fight on his hands. All of the guys had come to love and respect Nicole. She worked harder than most of them just to prove that she belonged. Duper and Carole-Lyne had a special spot for Nic though.

They had taken her under their wing, introducing her to the wives and other players. Duper regarded her as one of his own and had become more protective than most of the guys, it was the father in him. He had jokingly told the guys many times that if they ever hurt her, one way or the other he would personally kick the offender’s ass. Everyone felt the real message under the joking manner, hurt my girl and you will regret it.

Pascal was looking at Max; looking for some sign of recognition to what he was saying. Max couldn’t meet the older players’ eyes. In fact all the guys present were now looking at him. All except Marc who was way too focused on the game. Max heard one of the guys exhale. It sounded like Sidney.

“Maxime,” Duper said in his fatherly voice, the one he only used when one of his kids were in trouble, “What have you done?’’

Max looked up, afraid to meet his teammate’s eyes but he had too.

“I’ve screwed up Duper.”

The men looked shocked. Surely they didn’t hear the man right. Max adored Nicole. They had all seen him turn down beautiful women, ones he could easily have had, because he had Nic. Marc shook his head and got up to go to the kitchen. He already knew and couldn’t sit there and listen to Max explain himself again.

“What did you do Talbo?” Tanger asked, he was the only one who seemed to recover enough to ask the dreaded question.

“I cheated.”

“WHAT?” Nicole was back with Vero and she had heard.
♠ ♠ ♠
two updates in twenty four hours! As always let me know what you guys think. I love the feed back!