Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

Don't Leave Me

24. Don’t Leave Me

(Sidney’s POV)
I hated seeing Nic like this. The normal vibrant, strong willed girl we all knew and loved laid curled into a tight ball on my bed sobbing. I decided to bring her to my home, thinking she would want to be somewhere the memories were not as prevalent. I sat down next to her and drew her into my side. I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the feeling.

I had fallen in love with her the first day we met but Max had been the one to catch her eye. He was the complete opposite of me. He stood out while I stuck to the background. I had to face the lime light enough and didn’t like to draw more attention when I didn’t have too.

I felt Nicole start to shake, her whole body racking with sobs over a man that didn’t deserve her. I tightened my hold, trying to calm her, let her know I was there.
She finally started to quiet down.

“Nic?”
“Hm?” She was almost asleep.
“I’m going to run down stairs for a minute. Do you need anything?”
“Don’t leave me, please.”
“I’ll be right back I promise. I just need to let Sam out for a minute.”

She rolled over looking at me, her eyes, those beautiful brown eyes, had lost their spark. I could kill Max for doing this to her.

“I need to go home.”
“I’ve already text Geno. He’s going to get Rex and some clothes for you and bring them here.”
“Thank you, Sidney.”

Sam came and scratched at the door just then. I leaned over and kissed Nicole on her head.

“I’ll be back.”
“Okay,” She said to me before rolling back over.

I looked back at her one last time before heading down stairs. I wanted to help her, see her smile again, but I know that will take time and one confrontation no one would be ready for.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Almost thirty minutes later I was letting Sam in when I heard a knock on my front door. Geno had arrived with Rex and a suit case with some of Nicole’s clothes.

“Hey man come on in,” I said as I leaned down to pet Rex.
“How is our girl?” Geno asked me.

The look on my face must have said it all because Geno shook his head and sighed. We sat down in my living room. We didn’t bother with the TV since Geno wasn’t staying long.

“Max dumb. Nic best thing and he lose.”
“He didn’t deserve her anyway, G,” I say looking away from his knowing eyes.
“I you love. i know. She not pick you.”
“No kidding," I spit out then add, "I want to help her, G.”
“Be there for her. She need time.”
“The team will suffer.”
“No. team be fine. Nicole tell Max and move on. Not for us to decide,” He said with a pointed look.
“I know, G, I know.”
“Good. I have Max key. Make sure she get back,” He said placing the key on the table and leaving.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I left the dogs down stairs and went to check on Nic. She was still in my bed but now she was asleep. I crawled in next to her and drew her into my side. She had tear stains on her face and I could see the red around her eyes. She was still so beautiful though. She looked at piece, a stark contrast to earlier. I kissed her head again, stealing a moment that may never come again.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)
I woke up the next morning as the light streamed in from between the curtains. I felt a body shift next to me.
‘It was just a dream,‘ I thought, ‘just a bad dream.’

I felt the body shift again and the arm across my waist pull me tighter into a strong chest.
‘Too wide!’ my mind screamed, jolting me awake completely just as the man spoke.

“Morning Nic.”

Still pinned in his arms, I managed to roll over to see his face. The memories came flooding back. I was stupid to think yesterday was just a dream. The curtains weren’t mine or Max’s.

“Sidney.”
“Hi. Did you sleep well?” he asked with some concern.
“Yeah. I did actually. Did Geno make it with Rex?”
“He did.”
“How did he get in?” I asked even though I knew the answer. Sidney bit his lip, he does that when he doesn’t want to answer I noticed.
“He got a key from Max. G didn’t give it back. It’s sitting on my counter.”
“Okay,” I said.

We laid there for a while. Sidney was running his hand through my hair. It felt good, comforting. I almost dozed back off when I felt Sidney shift.

“I’m going to let the dogs out. You can stay here; I’ll be back.”
“No I’ll come with you. I’m starving anyway,” I say just as my stomach rumbles.

Sidney smiles at me and extends his hand to help me get up. He pulls me flush to him; closer than either of us had ever been. He raises his hand and brushes a few stray strands of hair out of my eyes. He blushes and apologizes as he steps back.

“How ‘bout that breakfast?” He asks.
"Let's go Captain."
♠ ♠ ♠
Big *secret* confession from our Captain! who saw that coming? let me know what you guys think?