Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

25. Feelings

25. Feelings

(Regular POV)

Sidney and Nicole made their way down to the kitchen as the dogs ran a head of them. Sidney let the dogs out and turned to see Nic searching the pantry for food. He chuckled as she reached up, trying to remove a box of pancake mix from the top shelf.

“Here, let me help,” he said coming up behind Nicole. He reached over her, pressing into her slightly to retrieve the box. He moved away to allow her to exit the pantry first but she turned to grab a small bag off the opposite shelf.

“The Sidney Crosby keeps chocolate chips in his house?” She teased with a genuine smile. That smile hit Sidney right in the gut.
“I think mom may have left them. Taylor love pancakes with chocolate chips.”
“Good, so do I,” she retorted.

Nicole snagged the bag and box away and proceeded to the stove. Sidney sat down at the bar since it seemed like Nic wanted to make breakfast. That was probably a good thing seeing as his cooking skills were nonexistent. Nicole was searching for skillets when she heard a whistle behind her. She looked over at Sidney who was pointing to one of the cabinets across from her. She retrieved the skillet and turned back to Sidney.

“You can make yourself useful and cut some fruit,” she pointed at the bowl in front of him.
“Aye, aye, Captain,” He said with a salute. Nicole rolled her eyes at him.
“How long have you been waiting to use that one?”
“A while,” Sidney said with a burst of giggles to follow.

When the food was finished the two sat at the breakfast nook. They had a clear view of the back yard. They watched the dogs play for a few moments as they ate.

“You know,” Sidney started, “you can always bring Rex over to play. He and Sam clearly have fun together.”
“We should invite Geno to bring Jeffrey one day,” Nic said, “could you imagine; those two would run circles around the poor thing.”

Sidney smiled picturing the scene. The three friends sitting on the back patio, Nic curled into his side as the dogs played with a dark haired boy and curly haired girl chasing after them.....'WHOA where did that come from?' He thought.

"Earth to Sid."
"Hm?" Was Sidney's response, he didn't realize Nic had been trying to gain his attention.
"I asked if you were finished."
"Oh! Yeah I am."
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The two finished eating and cleaned up the kitchen. Nicole had just dried the last plate when she decided to speak up.

“Thank you, by the way,” Nicole looked at Sidney, the sadness from this morning was back in her eyes.

Sidney’s voice stuck. Instead of saying anything he reached out and pulled her close. She wrapped her arms around his thick torso. She couldn’t help but notice how well she fit and how comfortable she was in his arms. Sidney felt it too. He loved having her close; even though she was hurting over another man.

“You deserve better, Nic. I just want you to know that. If you need anything, even just to talk, I’m here for you.”
Nicole giggled against his chest. The sound and feeling ran straight through Sidney’s body.
“What’s funny?”
“You said the same thing to me on our first road trip, Captain,” Nicole leaned back just far enough to look into his eyes.
“I mean it now just like I meant it then,” Sidney says giving her a smile.

He ran a hand through her hair like he had up stairs. Nicole looked at her captain and friend. She was well aware of how attractive Sidney was. She took in his features, muscular arms that could pick up hundreds of pounds, the straight jaw line, soft caramel eyes and pouty lips, he was every girl’s fantasy.

‘Why hadn’t he put a shirt on,’ she thought as she checked him out for the nth time that morning.

She was suddenly hit with the strongest urge to kiss him; to run her hands through his dark locks and never let go.

Sidney saw lust in Nicole’s eyes; and they were focused on him. He moved his hand from her hair to her cheek. His hand was big enough to cover part of her neck as well. He felt her pulse speeding and her breath quicken. He saw her lips part but no sound came out. Sidney bent just enough for their lips to connect.

It was the make or break moment every athlete knows well; when the adrenaline is pumping, either you score the winning goal or miss completely.

Nicole kissed him back with a passion that surprised both of them. She felt his tongue caress her lips, asking for entrance; she granted it. Sidney pulled her close and deepened the kiss. He tangled his hands in her hair as she wrapped her arms around him; running her hands up and down the back of his neck, one going into his hair. He wanted her; had wanted her for a long time; and now he knew she wanted him just as badly. Sidney picked her up with ease and moved them into the living room. He sat on the couch with her straddling him. He pulled her closer; he needed her closer but didn’t want to push her too far. He knew she would pull away if he pushed her too far.

Nicole broke the kiss.

“Sidney, wait,” she gasped, trying to catch her breath.
“What’s wrong?” He asked with confusion in his eyes.
“I…I can’t Sidney.”

He pulled away to look at her better but he never let her go.

“Why not?” He asked more curious than anything.

“Max and I just broke up yesterday. Well, really we haven’t broken up, but I know it’s over with him. I just need to end it, officially. And I don’t want to rush into anything. Now I’m rambling,” Nicole said trailing off. She tried to pull away but Sidney had a strong hold on her.

“Nic, look at me,” Sidney said as he gently pulled her face back to look at him.

“I understand this is something you need to do. I was serious when I said I was here for you. I don’t want you to feel pressured into a relationship just because I kissed you. I’ve wanted to do that for a while now. I can’t tell you how jealous I was of Max when he had you. But he doesn’t now, and I want you to know that when you ready, I’ll be the first knocking on you door.”

Nicole laid her head in the crook of his neck and breathe him in. He slowly shifted so they were laying on the over-sized couch, Nicole in his arms facing him.

“Thank you, again.”
“You don’t have to thank me for anything,” he said as she snuggled into his chest, “just promise me something.”
“Anything.”
“When you feel ready, give me a chance to show you what you deserve.”
“You’ll be the first,” she breathed out.

Sidney kissed her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW! Three today! i hope you all are enjoying this story. Let me know what you think of Sidney and Nicole. Do you Ship? What about Sidney's little day dream? comments are always welcomed!