Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

26. Time to Talk

26. Time to Talk

(Regular POV)
Sidney and Nicole spent the rest of the day hanging around the house. The watched movies in the entertainment room; only leaving long enough to let the dogs out and forage for food. They sat close, sharing longing glances, stolen kisses and quick touches; but never going far. The two never ventured far from one another as the day moved into night. They both knew the perfect bubble they currently were living in would end early the next morning when they had practice.

By now the whole team knew what had happened between Max and Nicole. Several had tried to contact her and Sidney just to check on her but they had silenced their phones, not wanting any distractions. The two slipped off to bed early only to stay up late talking about everything; Sidney assured Nicole that he would be there if she needed him when she talked to Max after she shared how scared she was; even though Max had hurt her, Nicole did love him and didn’t know how to break things off.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)
For the first time, the whole team was early to the rink the next morning. Everyone except Sidney and Nicole. They were the last two to arrive. The chatter that had been going on died out when they walked in; all eyes were on Nicole. Sidney gave her a reassuring touch; one that did not go unnoticed by the room including Max. He was fuming.

Nicole made her way over to her stall between Max and Jordan.

“Morning boys,” Nicole said as if everything was normal. She had decided that morning to not confront Max before practice. That would wait until after.
“Uh, Morning Nic. How are you?” Jordan asked caught off guard; he and the others had been expecting a fight between the two.
“Been better,” She answered with a shrug, lacing her skates. Max gave her a tentative smile.
“Let’s get moving guys!” Coach yelled from the door. The fireworks would have to wait.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)
I was fuming. What the hell was going on between those two? Sidney and Nicole arrived together which didn’t surprise me; I knew she was staying with him since G told me when he came and got my key. Had she cheated on me with him? No. Nic wouldn’t do that, she was way too good to do that, unlike me. And Sidney was my friend. I mean I knew he had a thing for her when she first joined the team, but so did most of the single guys.

She walked over to her stall which was by mine. I’m sure she would be moved when the staff finds out. They all liked her just like everyone else who got to know her.

“Morning boys,” she said as if everything was normal. I was surprised; it sounded like she was directing it at me and Jordan. Maybe I still had a chance to fix this.
“Uh, Morning Nic. How are you?” Jordan asked caught off guard.
“Been better,” She answered. I laced my skates giving her a small smile.
“Let’s get moving guys!” Coach yelled from the door. I need to talk to her.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)
Damn him and that smile and those twinkling eyes. If I were a weaker woman I would jump into his arms again in a heartbeat. But I had to be strong. I know I deserve better, to be treated better.
Coach was making us run power play drills today. Max kept his distance but I could feel him looking at me while we waited for our lines to be called. I stayed near Duper and Geno. They had both asked how I was, Duper with words and Geno with a one armed hug. I let them know that I was feeling better but it would take some time. They understood well enough and left it at that

Sidney kept an eye on me as well. He was in Captain Mode again; our mutual attraction on hold for the moment. He was being understanding and even encouraged me to maybe date some before we try anything. That was a first for me. What guy willingly says that to the girl he wants?
Coach blew the whistle to end practice. Time to talk.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)
The locker room was abnormally quiet. You could cut the tension with a knife. The guys were all waiting, they wanted to be there in case Max needed saving; not the he deserved it but Nic could get in a lot of trouble if she was caught attacking him regardless of the reasons.

Nicole approached Max. He looked at her; the sadness radiated off of both of them.

“Max, we need to talk.”
“Yeah okay.”
“Without the audience,” Nicole gave the guys a pointed look.

The guys slowly shuffled out of the room. Sidney caught Nic’s eye and gave her a slight nod. Max knew he was going to wait in the hall like most of the guys.
Jordan patted Max on the shoulder.

“If you need help just yell. Coach would be pissed if she kills you and we didn’t at least try to stop her.”
“Thanks,” Max response was laced with sarcasm.

The room emptied.

“Look….”
“Nic, I….” they both started at the same time.
“Sit down Max,” Nicole said taking his hand and walking him back to their respective stalls. Max relished the moment that was all too soon gone.
“May I?” He asked.
“Please.”

“I’m sorry, Nicole. I’m not proud of what I did and I would take it back if I could, but I can’t and I know it. I don’t want to lose you but I won’t blame you for leaving me. I couldn’t. I never slept with any woman while we were together but I did mess up.”

“Why?”

“I was scared.”

Nicole looked at him. She wanted more of an explanation and wasn’t about to let him off so easily.

“I was falling in love with you Nicole. The last time I gave my heart to someone she took advantage and used me. I could see a future with you past hockey and that scared me. So I panicked. I did what I did and I regret it. I’ve lost you already and I know I can’t get you back. I want to beg for your forgiveness but I don’t deserve it.”

Max shakily pored his heart out to the woman before him. Hot tears ran down his face. His body shook with sobs he was holding in. The pain of what he had done; what he had done to Nicole, his love; was unleashed as he faced her.

Nicole’s heart lurched in her chest. She had grown to love the man before her. She had seen the future he was eluding to and had wanted that future so badly with him. But she couldn’t let him back in. She had closed her heart to him after his confession to the boys. She had cried until the tears wouldn’t come anymore. She loved him; had loved him; but she couldn’t move on in a relationship where there had been a violation of trust. She was worth more than that.

“Max, I don’t know if I will ever be able to trust you again… and I know I can’t be with you anymore. But if you were scared then you should have talked to me. You weren’t the only one falling hard. I could see the same future but now………. You’ve hurt me, deeply. I’ll forgive you…. Eventually. But we’re finished.”

Without looking back, Nicole left the lock room, afraid that if she did and saw the hurting man crumbling, her resolve would crash down. She had to be strong, for herself.

She walked into the hall, seeing her team. Geno pulled her close before passing her to Sidney. He wrapped his strong arms around her and held her close.

“Let’s go home, Nic.”

She allowed Sidney to pull her away from the others. She never looked back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all are still enjoying the story. I don't know about you guys but writing this chapter broke my heart for Nicole and Max both.

Let me know what you think. as always comments and suggestions are welcomed.