Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

28. Lead the Way, Captain

28. Lead the Way Captain

(Nicole’s POV)
It was a quarter to seven and Nicole wasn’t ready yet. She knew Sidney would be showing up soon; he was always on time, if not five minutes early. She was panicking. She must have tried on half a dozen outfits and still couldn’t decide what to wear. She sent out a desperate text hoping the receiver was near the phone. Her Skype started ringing.

“Care Bear HELP! I don’t know what to wear,” she said exasperated.
Cara laughed at her, “Nervous huh?”
“Now’s not the time for jokes. I seriously don’t know what to wear.”
“Calm down and show me what you have already picked.”
“But those didn’t look right,” Nicole said pouting at her best friend.
“Okay, what about that red number you were saving for a special outing?” Cara asked, knowing this would be perfect.

It was a form fitting, long sleeved dress with a lace bodice. Nicole had found it on her outing with Cara and Vero before…well before…. And had planned on wearing it out but hadn’t yet.

“YES! Why didn’t I think of that?”
“Because you’re about to have panic attack at the thought of finally going on a real date with Captain Canada?”
“Ha Ha. Your hilarious, Cara.”
“I try,” she said with a smirk, “Look I would love to chat longer but I too have a date and I need to finish getting ready.”
“Alright girl. Thanks for your help!”
“Have fun Nic.”
“Bye Care Bear.”

Nicole slipped into the dress and had just pulled on her heels when there was a knock at the door.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Sidney’s POV)
Sidney was nervous. He was standing outside Nicole’s apartment door at seven sharp. The doorman recognized him and let him right in. He was a stickler for being on time. The guys always razed him for his punctuality, but it was just how he was. He knocked.

Sidney’s breath caught. Nicole was standing in the door in a red dress that hugged every curve and went perfectly with her olive toned skin and dark hair that was in loose curls. He was speechless; he had never seen her more beautiful than in that moment.

“Wow, Nicole. You look stunning,” he managed to choke out. He leaned in and kissed her cheek.

She giggled, “Thank you, Sidney. Come on in, I need to grab my phone and wrist let then we can go.”

Sidney didn’t know if he needed to walk into the enclosed space. The dress was sending all sorts of naughty thoughts through his mind. He stepped in but left the door open. Now there was less danger; neither of them needed a neighbor to walk by and see any indecent acts taking place. Nicole walked back into the room.

“Ready to go?” he asked, offering his arm.
Nicole took it, “Lead the way, Captain.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)
Sidney pulled up outside a building. It was a well-known place and housed the restaurant called, Terrace, on the up side of Pittsburgh at the top of one of the skyscrapers. Normally a person would have to have reservations weeks in advance, but Sidney had pulled some strings to get a table for the night. The hostess seated them immediately.

Nicole looked around, taking in the room. It was large and grand. With carpeted floors, high ceiling, and chandeliers hanging throughout the room, Nicole felt like royalty. But the best part was the wall of windows she and Sidney were seated next too. The low lighting inside allowed for the skyline to illuminate and emphasize the beloved city. Nicole could see the river reflecting the city and the bridges that were lite like Christmas trees.

Sidney looked on as Nicole took in the scene. He knew she loved the simple thing in life and would appreciate the city from this height. He had been to the restaurant once before for a meeting with Mario; he too had been struck by the beauty of the city that many didn’t get to see and appreciate.

“What do you think?” He asked tentatively, normally Sidney in so confident that people often mistake his as arrogant, but Nicole intimidated him and he wanted to impress her more than anyone he had ever known.

“It’s beautiful, Sidney,” She said turning her warm, chocolate colored eyes back to him. Sidney could easily get lost in those eyes. He gave her one of his stunning smiles, effectively knocking the breath out of her.
“I had hoped you would like it.”

The couple talked throughout the meal. They never seemed to run out of topics and never once mentioned hockey, a go to topic for both when things got uncomfortable. Sidney called for the check and the two left.

They decided to walk along the river front and take in the Christmas lights that had been strung for the upcoming holiday, even though it was cold out. Sidney pulled her in close, both to keep her warm and just to have her near. Sidney broke the silence that had fallen.

“Are you happy here? In Pittsburgh.”
“I love it here. This city gave me my big break and it has become my home,” Nicole answered automatically causing Sidney to laugh.
“Okay, now that you have the interview answer out of the way, are you happy? And I mean really happy,” Sidney says, stopping them suddenly; his amber eyes turning serious. He needed to know that she was happy, or at least getting there.

Nicole smiled up at him. He was such a caring person and had been amazing to her during the drama with Max. She knew what he wanted to hear and that brushing over the topic would only set them back.

“I’m getting there, every day I get closer to being back to the happiness I had before. But right now standing here with you…. I couldn’t be happier Sidney.”

Sidney’s concern vanished. That’s exactly what he wanted… no needed… to hear. He cupped Nicole’s face between both hands and kissed her. He wanted to convey all the passion and love he had for her through the kiss.
Nicole could feel it. She wanted to proclaim her love for him right then but she held back, knowing that it was too soon for both of them. They deepened the kiss, Sidney pressing Nicole against the guard rail of the river. When they broke the kiss, each could see the love in the others eyes.

Neither wanted the moment to end; but they were in public and even though the number of passing pedestrians were at a minimum, they didn’t want to end up on some blog or the front page of a newspaper in the morning.

“Let’s get out of here,” Sidney suggested; whispering to Nicole. She shivered but it wasn’t from the cold.

“Lead the way, Captain.”
♠ ♠ ♠
here is a link for the dress if you are interested in looking at it.

http://www.dressforthewedding.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Red-lace-short-dress-with-long-sleeves.jpg

I know its kinda short but i plan on updating soon.

As always let me know what you guys thing! Comments and suggestions are always welcomed!