Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

30. Surprises

30. Surprises

(Sidney’s POV)

It was Sidney’s job to get Nicole to rink on time; or in this case late, so all the boys would have time to get there before they arrived. He sent her a text saying that he was running late. Then he sent one saying he was stuck in traffic. Truthfully he was at the coffee shop around the corner waiting until Flower called to let him know that everyone was there. His phone rang. It was Nicole.

“If you’re not going to be able to get here I can drive myself.”
“Well hello to you too,” he chuckled, he knew Nicole must be pacing in her apartment; debating whether or not to leave.

“I’m really close so there’s no need for you to leave,” he states, “besides, we’re leaving right after the game for dinner. No need for you to drive and us be in two cars.”
“Yeah but we’re both going to be late.”

“It will be okay. It’s not like they will start the game without us.”
“Of course you can say that, oh Captain. You’re awfully calm for someone whose routine is going to be thrown off by being late,” she sassed.

Sidney paused, how was he supposed to answer that. Just then his phone buzzed saving him from coming up with an explanation.

“Hey I have to take this.” He hung up without another word to Nicole.
“Operation FALSE SURPRISE is a GO.”
“Duper was right. You guys are idiots.”
“Just go get our girl, mon ami.” Flower hung up on him. Sidney walked to his car, sent Nic a text saying he was around the corner and made his way to Nicole’s apartment.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

I was pacing around my apartment. Sidney was supposed to pick me up almost thirty minutes ago. I had received a text from him saying he was running late and then another that he was stuck in traffic. I mean these things happened, but I was ready to leave and I was debating just driving myself. I decided to call him.

“If you’re not going to be able to get here I can drive myself,” Damn that came out ruder than I wanted it to be.

“Well hello to you too,” he chuckled, I bet he was picturing me pacing my apartment.
“I’m really close so there’s no need for you to leave,” he states, “besides, we’re leaving right after the game for dinner. No need for you to drive and us be in two cars.”
“Yeah but we’re both going to be late,” I try to reason.

“It will be okay. It’s not like they will start the game without us,” he teases me.
“Of course you can say that, oh Captain. You’re awfully calm for someone whose routine is going to be thrown off by being late,” I sass right back.

Sidney pauses; he knows I have a point. What is that man hiding?

“Hey I have to take this.” He hung up without another word.

I let out a surprised noise. He’s never just hung up like that before. How rude; and he claims to be Canadian….HA!

I sit on my couch for a few minutes when I receive a text from the offending Captain. He will be at my building in five minutes. I decide to meet him downstairs. I grab my keys, phone, and purse and head down.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

Nicole walks out just as Sidney pulls up to the curb. She gets in the passenger seat. Sidney leans over to give her a peck, but she leans away. He gives her a bemused look but doesn’t say anything; he knows she’s peeved about being hung up on.

The couple make it to the rink without any words being spoken. Sidney parks in his regular spot in the private garage. Nicole gets out but Sidney is faster. He hops out and is around to her side before she has the door shut.

“What are you doing?” he asks her as he pushes her against the SUV.

“What do you mean?” she gives him a puzzled and startled look, the two were careful about not showing any public display of affection and Sidney was seriously in her personal space. She could easily smell his cologne, the same one that had been assaulting her senses in the enclosed car.

“You pulled away from me,” he whispers close to her ear; he sees her shiver.
“You hung up on me,” she stammers out.

“I’m sorry, love, but I had to catch that call,” he says placing a gentle kiss just below her ear, “Happy Birthday by the way,” he says taking out a small box from his coat pocket.

“Sidney, you shouldn’t have,” Nicole says blushing, she had never been good at accepting gifts.
“Open it,” he says leaning back to give her some space.

Nicole opened the small box and gasped. Inside was a silver Claddagh ring with her birth stone in the center of the hands. Being of Irish decent, Nicole knew the symbolism of the ring. The fact that Sidney had found something so perfect for her brought tears to her eyes.

“Thank you Sidney, it’s perfect.”

Sidney smiled and kissed her fully; he had looked everywhere for the perfect gift. He was talking to his mother one night when she mentioned that this type of ring would be a great gift. He nearly passed out when she suggested a ring, but after she explained that it was the equivalent to an Irish promise ring, he started to search for one. He found a little jewelry shop near his house who specialized in Claddagh rings and was able to special order one.

The couple separated and Sidney took the box from Nicole. He slid the ring onto her right hand, with the heart facing inward to symbolize that she was spoken for just like the guy told him. Nicole smiled up at him.

“Let’s go kick some Hawk ass, “he said, wrapping an arm around her the two headed inside.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
(Regular POV)
The whole team and a few Blackhawks were in the dressing room waiting for Sidney and Nicole to make their way in. One of the staff members had been assigned to watch out for Sid’s SUV and alert them when the two arrived. They guys had decorated Nicole’s stall with streamers and balloons. Their coach told them to keep the decorating tasteful since Nic would be interviewed before and after the game.

“Here they come!” Tanger whispered loudly to the room.

The guys killed the lights and waited. The door opened. They saw Nicole reach for the lights.

“SURPRISE!!!!” they all shouted when the lights came up.

Nicole jumped back into Sidney’s strong grasp and let out a rather girly scream. Everyone started laughing including Nicole.

“Are you serious?” Nicole exclaimed, clutching at her heart. The guys all gave her hugs one at a time.

“It’s not nice to single our captain out like that, Nova,” Sharpie said giving her a killer smile. As he wrapped his arms around her.

Nicole looked around the room seeing her team and several of the guys from lunch.

“You knew!” She accused pointing at the Blackhawk captain.
He fawned innocence. “Who me?”
“Yes you!” she exclaimed lightly punching him in the arm before giving him a hug.
“How else were we suppose to keep you busy and away from the rink today?” Kuni asked as he walked up beside Nicole.

“We have another surprise for you too,” Sidney excitedly said when he came back in the room.

“Mimi!”

Nicole turned so fast she almost gave herself whiplash. She couldn’t believe her eyes. Her whole family was walking into the room; her nephews leading the way.

“OHMYGOD!” she exclaimed, tearing away from Sidney to scoop up her closest nephew, Caleb, who had run toward her. She squeezed his tightly then gave him a kiss of the cheek. She then bent down to capture her oldest nephew Benny, he didn’t like giving kisses and hugs, and gave him one of each as he squirmed in her arms. Then she placed Caleb down and took Jessie from her sister-in-laws arms.

“You would grab them first,” her oldest brother, Mike, said.
“You know we don’t matter now that she has her boys,” the slightly younger brother, Austin, says from behind Mike.

Nicole makes her rounds with tears in her eyes, it had been several months since she had seen her family and she had missed them terribly.

“How did….” She started to ask.

“Your boyfriend over there called mom and suggested we come up,” Danny, the youngest, said.

Nicole turned to look at the man in question. He had a conspiratorial smile that said her brother was right, Nicole didn’t know what to say. So she hugged him. Then, much to his embarrassment, she kissed him right in front of her family. They team let out cat calls, her family laughed, they had all heard so much about Sidney and after meeting him, her brothers and step-dad approved of the man.

“Thank you.”
“Anything for you.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Pre-game POV)

Nicole and the guys returned to normal pregame routines after Nic’s family left for their seats. Sidney had made sure to give them glass seats at center ice so they could see all the action.

When they exited the dressing room for the pregame warm up Nicole was interviewed by Potash.

“So Nicole, I heard this is a very special day for you. Not only is it your birthday but your family is in town to celebrate. But you have to face the Blackhawks before you can celebrate. What are you feeling right now? Are you concerned about the focus of the team with all these festivities going on?”

“I’m excited to have my family here on my birthday. We travel so much it’s hard to find time to do so. I feel great and I know the guys are feeling it too. I’m not worried about our focus, we know what we have to do to get the win and that’s exactly what we’re going to do tonight.”

“Alright, thanks Nicole and Happy Birthday.”

“Thanks DAAAN!”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

Just like Sidney had said, the Media guys played a montage of footage of Nicole before the puck dropped. She along with all the fans and both teams were laughing at some of the bloopers from the different commercials she had done and the fans cheered when they showed some big hits and goals. Everyone cheered when the camera zoomed in on Nicole in real time, she waved to the crowd.

The lights came up. It was game time.

The game was fast paced and close all night. Every time the Pens scored, the Hawks answered. That was until the third period.

The Pens came out with a vengeance. Nicole’s line was on the ice. She, Sidney, Duper, Tanger, and Jordan were bearing down on the Hawks. Jordan made a big hit against Bollig and won the puck.

Letang rushed up the ice, he passed it off to Duper at the blue line; Shaw had come in for a hit. Duper sent it over to Sid. Sidney and Nicole had a two on one breakaway. Sidney threaded the puck through Seabrook and passed it to Nicole. She faked left, then pulled back right and sent the puck top shelf.

GOAL!

The guys’ dog piled her then they went for a fist bump down the line. The Pens were on fire after Nicole’s goal. They set her up every chance they could. By the end of the game the score was 7-3. Nicole had a hat trick and assisted on the other four goals. She was the first star of the game.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Locker Room POV)

“лед королева!” Geno exclaims as he picks Nicole up in a bone crushing hug and swings her around.
Nicole laughs out, “Put me down G!” But she’s playing with her favorite Russian.

He sets her down.

“What does that even mean anyway?” Beau Bennett, the rookie that was pulled up from WBS, asks.
“It mean Queen of Ice.”
“That’s fitting for the night,” Flower says as he comes up behind Nicole and places a tiara on her head.
“You guys are something else.”
“You love,” Geno says giving her a cheeky grin.
“Of course I do,” she pulls him down to her level and kisses his cheek, causing the big man to blush.

“Alright, boys! That was a hell of a game. Way to keep fighting back. Nicole! Great trick tonight, you did your family proud. Everyone have a good night!” Coach came in and said as the team changed out of their gear.

Sidney was ready to leave when he looked over at Nicole. She was chatting with Max and Jordan as she applied the last of her makeup. He walked over.

“Are you about ready to head out?”

“Yeah just one more thing,” Nicole reached into the overhead compartment of her locker, pulling out the Claddagh ring. Sidney saw the two teammates eyes widen. They both looked at Nicole then back at Sidney. Nicole saw the look and started giggling at the two.

“Chill guys, it’s a Claddagh ring, not an engagement ring.”
Flower heard and spoke up, “What is it?”

The others stopped what they were doing to listen, boy were they nosy.

“A Claddagh ring is an Irish version of a promise ring. It has a legend attached to it that my great grandmother used to tell me.”
“What is story,” Geno asked out of curiosity.

“Well, The Claddagh ring is a traditional Irish ring given which represents love, loyalty, and friendship. The hands represent friendship, the heart represents love, and the crown represents loyalty.

The design and customs associated with it originated in the Irish fishing village of Claddagh, located just outside the old city walls of Galway, now part of Galway City.

Legend has it that long ago a man named Richard Joyce was captured and enslaved by Algerian pirated while on a passage to the West Indies; he was sold into slavery to a Moorish goldsmith who taught him the craft.
King William III sent help to Algeria to demand the release of any and all British subjects who were enslaved in that country, which at the time would have included Richard Joyce.

After fourteen years, Joyce was released and returned to Galway and brought along with him the ring he had fashioned while in captivity: what we've come to know as the Claddagh. He gave the ring to his sweetheart, married, and live happily until the end of his days.”

“Is good story. Has happy ending.”
“Yeah, G. It does.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

Sidney escorted Nicole out after she told the story. Several of the guys had given him knowing looks but he brushed them off for another day. He and Nicole made their way out to the parking garage; he had told her that her family was meeting them out.

They made it to the restaurant without any trouble and were taken to the private room where Nicole’s family was waiting.

She sat between her two older brothers and across from Sidney. Since Sidney had been in cahoots with her mother about the arrangements he was comfortable and relaxed around Nicole’s family. She was glad to see this; she knew it was intimidating to face her brothers, they were sweet as could be but they were protective of her and had run off several potential suitors.

The conversation flowed naturally, her brothers only giving Sidney a little hell for letting Nicole out score him tonight; he took it good naturally and enjoyed the time with the group. He was able to see another side of Nicole; she wasn’t just his teammate and girlfriend, she was a sister, daughter and aunt. She was so natural with her nephews, even when the youngest started to get fussy. The day dream that he had all those weeks ago was creeping back into his mind when the women decided it was time to take the little ones back to the hotel.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come back to my apartment? I have two spare rooms the boys can sleep in while we visit,” Nicole’s voice brought him back to the present conversation.
“No not tonight. I think we’re all tired from flying all day, besides, I thing Sidney has one last surprise for you,” Her mother said giving Nicole a hug.
“We’ll see you tomorrow. Hell, we’re up until the 27th.” Austin said.
His wife hits him on the arm, “Austin, language.”

The group said goodnight and went their separate ways for the evening.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

Sidney pulls the car to the valet at Banshee. Nicole looked at him quizzically as he made her wait when he rushed around the front of the SUV. He opened the door and helped her out of the vehicle. The two made their way into the club.

“SURPRISE!!!”

Nicole, once again, let out a surprised shriek and fell back into her boyfriend. She saw all of her team, including the guys who were still too young to get into a club, and their wives and girlfriends. Vero was the closest one and rushed over, drawing Nicole into a tight hug.

“Joyeux anniversaire fille merveilleuse!” Vero said jumping up and down.
“English V.”
“She said, happy birthday wonderful girl!” Flower translated, jumps and all.
“Yes! Happy Birthday!” Vero said excitedly.
“Thank you!” Nicole said giving her another hug.

Carole-Lynn, Maureen, and their respective husbands were the next to greet her. Nicole made her rounds, she didn’t realize how many people had come out for her.

Not only had her whole team and WAG’s shown up, but the whole Blackhawks team, Eric Staal, and a few of the Canes were there, and Ovechkin and his two sidekicks were present also.

Nicole had received text and tweets from several of the others from around the league but she didn’t expect anyone to fly to the Burgh just to see her.

“What are y’all doing here?!” she exclaimed when she saw the small, misplaced group.
“We couldn’t let the birthday girl celebrate and not show up,” Eric said wrapping her in a hug.
“Geno said there was a party in Pittsburgh. I like to party,” Ovechkin said with a shrug, his missing tooth smile giving away more than he suggested.

Nicole gave the rest a hug.

“Happy birthday, Princess,” Mike Green said as she turned the dark haired man.
“You’re not going to let that go are you?”
“Not a chance,” He said smiling down at her. She laughed with him before she was pulled away by Carole-Lynn.

The wives had brought out a cake that they had ordered from Icing, an up and coming bakery in the downtown area of Pittsburgh.

As soon as the candles were blown out the DJ started playing and the girls and some of the guys made their way to the dance floor. They danced for several songs before Nicole decided she needed a drink. She made her way to the bar and ordered a Jack and Coke.

“Whisky makes you tipsy.”

Nicole looked at the voice next to her, seeing a tipsy Patrick Kane.

“But it’s so fine, I want to make it mine,” she chirped back as the bartender set the drink down in front of her.

“Dance with me!” he demanded, pulling her back to the floor.

They did silly danced like the running man and the lawnmower, and of course Patrick did the Kaner shuffle. Tazer made his way over doing the moonwalk.

“You should do that move more often!” Nicole shouted over the base.
“And why is that?”
“You might score more!”

“BOOOOM!” Patrick yelled from behind her, Johnny laughed at the two and moved to the bar for a drink. Beau and Andrew Shaw made their way over to Nicole and Patrick. Shaw maneuvered his way between the two as beau pulled Nicole to him.

“HEY!” Kaner exclaimed.
“You can’t monopolize the birthday girl!” Shaw yelled back. Nicole managed to dance with everyone who came to the party at least once except for one person.

The DJ changed songs.

He put on one with a slower beat. The couples in the room paired off. Sidney came to claim his girl. Beau and Shaw relented without protest; this wasn’t a song for them anyway.

Sidney took Nicole into his arms. She looked up at him, glad to see him look happy and relaxed instead of serious or pensive. He spent too much time worried about the season in her opinion.

“Are you having a good time?” he inquired; he had to lean in close to her ear to be heard.
“The best. Thank you Sidney, for everything, including flying my family up.”
“I would go to the ends of the earth for you Nic.”

The two danced to the slow tune. They were enjoying the feeling of being in each others arms, in a semi-public place, and not have to worry about reporters trying to find ‘The Story.’ The song ended but the two stayed with each other.

“When you’re ready to leave, just say the word,” Sidney told her, “But don’t rush, this is your night.”

Nicole looked up into those caramel colored eyes. She could get lost in those eyes. She wrapped her arms around her Captains neck, pulling him closer.

“Take me home, Captain.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright my wonderful readers, I have been working on this chapter all day. I hope it is up to the expectations. As always comments and suggestions are welcomed!