Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

33. Precious Gem

33. Precious Gem

(Regular POV)

Nicole awoke the next morning as sunlight streamed through her window. She could see Sidney laying on the sofa; awkwardly bunched seeing as his frame was too large for the small couch. He was snoring softly; fast asleep. That man could fall asleep anywhere. She let out a soft laugh as the door opened, revealing Vero and Flower.

“Well that is an interesting sight,” Flower says taking out his phone.

“Ne vous avisez pas. Quitter le pauvre homme seul,” Vero said giving Flower a light hit; he put the phone away. (Don’t you dare. Leave the poor man alone.)

“How are you feeling, ma chère fille?” V asked softly, so as to not disturb the sleeping Penguin.

“Drained after yesterday,” Nicole said, “but I’m happy to know that I have his support, and the team of course,” she finished as she looked around the room for the first time.
Flowers of all colors were on every available surface, some sitting on the floor. And a large teddy bear was sitting next to her on the bed with a ‘Malkin’ jersey on; clearly the Russian bear had left her a smaller Russian teddy bear to keep her company.

“He has been here since early this morning,” Flower says referring to their Captain, “He only left to check on the dogs.”

Just then another soft knock came from the door; this time Sidney woke up as a small group of Capitals walked in.

“Morning, Princess,” Mike greeted Nicole and leaned over to give her a gentle hug.

She smiled at him and hugged him back, the two had bonded over her emergency. Alex, Nicklas, and Braden all greeted her the same. Flower and Vero left. The Capitals visited for a while until the doctor walked in. They said their goodbyes and left.

“How are you this morning, Miss Green?”
“Much better. When can I leave? Will I be able to play Friday?” Nicole asked without stopping to give the man a chance to answer.

Sidney chuckled at her; he knew she wasn’t fully comfortable in hospitals and her tenacity as a player made her look for the quickest route back to the ice; all athletes had that mind set.

“I need to do a quick examination of you. Mr. Crosby can stay or leave if he wants, seeing as it is strictly a physical examination.” Sidney stayed. The doctor was quick and soon he was finishing writing his finds down.

“ You can leave as soon as the paperwork has been processed. I’m sure Mr. Crosby can take you home. As far as getting back on the ice, that will be up to you team doctors. But you look like you’re healthy and ready to go, as long as you do not feel any lingering pain.”

The doctor shook both of their hands and left. Sidney leaned over and gave Nicole a kiss, the first of the morning seeing as there were early visitors. The sweet moment was broken when a nurse came in to tell them that they were free to leave.

Sidney smiles and looks at Nicole, “Let’s get you home, love.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV)

Sidney pulled the car up to the curb and hurried to the other side to help Nicole into the passenger seat. He hopped back into the driver’s side and pulled away from the hospital. He took Nicole’s hand in his own, a normal thing for the couple now, and drove through the down town area. He passed the turn that would take Nicole to her apartment, and the one that would take them over the bridge to Sidney’s home. Nicole looked over at the man driving in confusion.

“I figured you would want to see the doctors as soon as possible to see if you would be able to play,” He informs her, “So we’re going to the arena.”

Nicole sat back and relaxed. She had wanted to go there first but didn’t mention that fact to Sidney. He knew her well enough to not need to be asked to run by the arena first. The car pulled into the parking garage. Sidney helped Nicole out of the car and guided her into the complex; she was perfectly able to walk without assistance but with the current situation, they were able to be in close contact without raising any eyebrows; a luxury that they didn’t often get.

Sidney walked Nic to the trainer’s area and turned to her.

“I’ll be in the locker room when you’re finished,” he gave her a chase kiss and turned down the hall. Nicole looked at the door then entered alone.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

I entered the trainer’s room looking for our head guy. He was always in his office if he wasn’t with one of the other players. I waved at the couple of trainer’s who were here already and made my way further into the room.

“Ah, Nicole! Sidney said they were releasing you today. How are you feeling?” Chris Stewart asked as he came around his desk to give me a quick hug.

“I feel better. Just ready to get on the ice,” I say. He lets out a laugh; my response was normal for anyone who had an injury, we all wanted to play again.

“Well let’s look you over and see if you’re well enough,” He says leading me to the tables. I lie down as he begins to examine me.

“So, how is everything?” he asks; he’s fishing for information.
“It’s fine now.”

“Everything settled?” Stewart hears just about everything that goes on around the arena, just like Mario, Ray and Coach.

“Yeah. Just have to work through it is all,” I say in a low voice; they have some interns working today and while everyone has to sign a disclosure agreement, I don’t want anything to be said on a drunken bender and have it spattered all over the internet.

Chris finishes his evaluation and lets me sit up. He checks some stuff off his papers then tells me I can leave.

“What about the game Friday?” I ask.
“What about it?” He questions, I can’t tell if he’s teasing me; I know he understands what I need to hear.

“Will I be on the roster?”

He puts down his pen, “I expect you to be,” He says looking me in the eyes. I let out a girly squeal and give him a big hug. He laughs and returns the gesture. When we break I turn and dart out the door; I need to find my boys.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Sidney’s POV)

I make my way down the corridors to the locker room. I know several of the guys were here for an optional skate and I needed some advice. I push through our private entrance and hear the music pumping and the laughter of one of the guys.

I see Flower, Geno, Jordan, Duper, and Tanger are all still here as I make my way into the room. Vero must have gone home after their visit.

“Bonjour Capitaine!” Duper calls out as le lowers the volume some, “How is ma fille?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(My Daughter is what I wanted here seeing as Pascal views her as one of his own)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Yes, how is Nicole? Is she still stuck in the hospital room?” Flower asks as he removes his padding.
“No, the doctor released her shortly after you and V left. She’s getting checked over to see if she can play Friday.”

“Is too soon,” Geno interjects.
“Yes. There is no way she can play surely,” Kris chimes in.

“The doctor said it was up to the staff and what they though; he saw no problem with her playing,” I say so they know it wasn’t just her wanting to be back.

“What do you think Sidney?” Duper asks me. I mull the question over for a moment.

“Part of me thinks she should rest for a few days, maybe a week; but the other part knows that she will not be happy if she’s not on the ice and is forced to miss a game or two. That’s the hockey player in her. Any one of us would be trying to get back just like she is.”

The guys think about this for a moment. They all know I’m right; they’re just worried about her as is everyone.

“Has she spoken to her mother about her situation?” Tanger asks me.
“Yeah, just a little while ago. I’m pretty sure they both cried, I know Mrs. Green offered to fly back up but Nic told her to stay home,” I say with a shrug like it was no big thing.

In reality the conversation had been hard to listen too. Nicole told her mother the same thing she had told me in the hospital room. I couldn’t understand how the two women could hold a conversation seeing as they were both crying and barely coherent. I could not understand either of them at all. It must be a female thing.

“She has us. And if we are not enough I’m sure Mario would gladly offer some, uh, professional help,” Flower says coming back from the showers.

Jordan changes the subject, “So what brings you down here? I figured you would be glued to her right now,” he chirps from his stall.
“I was actually looking for Duper,” I say giving the older man a look, “I wanted to talk to you about something.”

He nods and throws on a shirt. We make our way to a more private place in the arena so that we won’t be interrupted.

“So, Sid. What’s on your mind?” the Frenchman asks me as we take a seat in the conference room.
“Well, I kinda did something and I don’t know what to do about it know.”

If looks could kill then I would be a dead man.

“You better have not done anything stupid, Sidney Crosby. That girl is special and I will end your career if you ran around,” his tone is stern but restrained as he leans forward.

“I didn’t cheat on Nicole; I would never do that,” I defend myself and stare straight into the man’s eyes so that he knows I’m telling the truth.

He relaxes but does not sit back in the chair, “What did you do then?”

“I….I told Nicole that I loved her,” I say looking away.
“And did you mean it?” he questions.
“Of course!” I exclaim meeting his steady gaze. He finally sits back; his face breaks out in a bright smile.

“Then what is the problem?”

“She didn’t say it back,” I know I sound like a small boy whose first crush didn’t accept the flowers offered to her.

“Sidney. Nicole was under a lot of stress yesterday. She may have not heard you or else it did not register. Either way, I believe that you have no reason to fear. The woman love you deeply and will tell you when she is ready. Or maybe you need to tell her again when the time is right.”

I think about this for a moment; I hadn’t thought about it that way; this is why I sought the older man out. He had been married to Carole-Lynn for several years and had plenty of advice when it came to relationships.

“How do you know she does?” I question.
“The same way that I know you do,” he says with a chuckle; I wait for him to continue.

“She looks at you like you hung the Moon, Mon ami. And you look at her as if she were the most precious of gems. The rarest kind that can only be found once in a lifetime.”

“She is though, Duper.”

Pascal looks at me; his gaze boring into my very soul, “Then make sure you treat her like she one.”
♠ ♠ ♠
All right guys I'm pretty sure that i am turning into an owl. I stay up to ungodly hours of the night now UGH!
Anyway.... I know this seems kinda filler-rish and i apologize for that. I didn't know how to write the conversation between Nicole and her mom and i didn't like the various versions that i had written so i decided to omit that conversion. as i have said in a previous note I have not been though a miscarriage personally so i have no experience with that particular mother/daughter conversation.

As always let me know what you think! Comments and suggestions are always welcomed!