Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

38. All I'm Asking

38. All I'm Asking

(Regular POV)

Sidney was flying. Everyone around the young super star could see the change that had consumed him seemingly overnight. There was an extra bounce in his step that hadn’t been there before and the team, fans, and media were taking notice. He was on a career high, the experts were predicting a record setting season for the Captain and he was expected to take home some serious hardware at the end of the season.

The team had just defeated there biggest rivals, the Boston Bruins, and had taken the first spot in the Metropolitan division. If they kept the streak going, then they would be a shoe in for the Cup.
They Penguins were staying the night in Boston before heading to New York to take on the Rangers and Islanders. Nicole was planning on having Dinner with Cara; the two were overdue for some one-on-one time.

Sidney was coming along with Nicole, not that he had a choice. Cara had mentioned bringing the guy she had been seeing for a few months now and Nicole was excited to meet him.

“Babe, where are we going again?” Sidney asked for the third time since Nicole had mentioned the dinner.

“I think it’s called Cabella’s. Cara said the food was delicious,” Nicole answered as she put the last of her makeup on. Just then there was a knock on the door.

“bonjour mes personnes préférées . Où allez-vous ce soir?” Duper entered the room fallowed by Flower and Geno. (hello my favorite people. where are you off to tonight?)

“English Duper,” Nicole playfully scolded as she gave her favorite Frenchman a hug.
Pascal gave a soft chuckle, “You look stunning, Belle. Sid, not so much. Where are you and the Kid off too?”

“Hey!” Sidney started to object but Nicole cut him off.

“Thank you, Duper. We’re going to meet Cara and her new beau for dinner.”
“Jordan will be jealous to hear your friend is seeing someone,” Flower said as he sat on the end of the bed.

“If he was interested then he shouldn’t have waited to do something about it,” Nicole answered as she looked for her phone.

“Look for this?” Geno held the device up just as the alarm chimed.
“Thank you, G. Sidney it’s time to go.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Cabella’s)

Nicole and Sidney walked into the upscale restaurant with five minutes to spare. The host led the two to a private room in the back of the building far from prying eyes. Cara and her Date were not there yet. This was no surprise to Nicole; Cara was notorious for being late for everything.

“Nicole stop fidgeting,” Sidney said as he laid his hand on top of hers.
“I can’t help it,” Nic replied as she shifted in her seat again, the fifth time in the three minutes they had been there.

Sidney laughed softly, “Nervous?”
“What gave it away?” Nicole said as she gave him a soft smile.
“What is it Nic?” Sidney asked with sudden seriousness.

Nicole hesitated as she thought about how to answer him. In truth, Cara had a knack for choosing the wrong kind of guy; the kind that would feed her lie after lie while at the same time he was trying to get in Nicole’s or one of their mutual friends pants. Nic loved Cara like a sister and hated seeing the after effects these guys caused. The destruction to Cara’s self-confidence was devastating and she deserved a good guy for once.

“I just really want this guy to be who she deserves, you know?” Nicole knew her answer was cryptic and the confused look on Sidney’s face said so.

Sidney took both of Nicole’s hands in his larger ones before he spoke, “Babe, I’m sure whomever he is will be a good guy. Cara’s a smart girl. There’s no way she would date someone who wasn’t. It’s not possible.”

Nicole leaned over and gently kissed Sidney, “How is it, you always seem to know what to say when I need it?”

Sidney gave her one of his most devastating smiles and leaned in close to her before whispering, “It’s a natural gift.” Nicole felt a shiver run down her spine as her face flushed.

“Excuse me!” A voice started the couple and they both looked for the source, “If you two can pause the make out session, I would like to be able to actually enjoy dinner.”

Nicole let out a small squeal as she jumped from her seat to welcome her best friend. The two girls embraced each other before stepping away. Nicole felt Sidney’s arm slide around her waist as the tall figure behind Cara stepped up pull Cara to his side. Nicole was surprised to see the man standing across from her.

The first thought to register in Nicole’s mind was tall, dark, and handsome. Standing close to 6’2’’ he towered over Cara’s 5’3’’ petite frame. He wore a tailored suit that showed a trimmed frame and hinted at the possibility of muscle under the fabric. He had a straight jaw line with a light amount of stubble, a strong nose and thick eyebrows that looked like they had been sculpted. His eyes were dark brown like her own. He was new age handsome and could easily be on a European runway.

The second thought was that he was a Bruin.

“Nicole, I would like you to meet my boyfriend, Patrice Bergeron.”

Patrice smiled and held out his hand, Nicole took it still stunned by the sudden turn of events. Not two hours ago, she had been battling the man standing across from her on the ice and now she was about to have dinner with him and her best friend.

“Burgy nice to see you,” Sidney said good naturedly as the two men shook hands; they had gotten to know each other during Juniors and had remained friends; off ice of course.

“Good to see you too, Sid. And nice to meet you officially, Nicole. Cara talks about you constantly,” the Bruin said as the group sat.

Sidney placed his arm across the back of Nicole’s chair and gave her shoulder a slight squeeze. The tension between the Penguin and Bruin was palpable.

“It’s nice to meet you too. Sorry about that,” Nicole motioned to the bruise that was forming under the players right eye.

Burgeron laughed, “No worries. Cara warned me not to make you mad,” Patrice’s eyes shifted to Cara’s face, she gave his hand a gentle squeeze, “Guess I should have listened better.”

Nicole could see in that look how much the Bruin player cared for her best friend. Nic could see how happy Cara was and the two seemed like a natural fit; even if he was a Bruin. Nicole figured she could look past that tiny detail for now.

The tension eased as the night wore on. Nicole found herself laughing at a story about a prank the veteran Bruin’s players had pulled on one of the rookie’s. Sidney offered a few embarrassing stories from Juniors that caused Patrice to turn red, much to Cara’s delight.

The group decided to move to the private patio for a couple of drinks before the Penguins had to depart. Sidney offered to go down to the bar and Cara went with him. They all knew of course that the two were giving Nicole a chance to make her mandatory best friend threats and for Patrice to make his case.

They were looking out over Boston Harbor; the lights of the city bouncing gently in the waves created by the ships entering port.

“You know, if you hurt her I will be required to end you,” Nicole was blunt about it but her tone was half teasing.
“Well it’s a good thing I don’t plan on hurting her then,” Patrice answered without missing a beat.

Patrice’s gaze shifted to meet Nicole’s steady eyes. He wanted her to know and accept that he was going to be with Cara and take care of her as she should be.

Patrice took a deep breath, “I know about her past, and I know that you can find mine all over the internet. But I want you to understand that I care for her immensely. She deserves the best, and while I can’t promise to be perfect I can promise to try and be, for her.”

“That’s all I’m asking.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This Chapter is a little longer than the last. I personally missed Cara and decided that she should make another appearance. I had hinted at her going on a date the same night Sidney took Nicole out for the first time and this seemed like a great chance to bring it back around.

While I'm not a fan of the Bruins this guy seems like he's alright off ice and could be a good fit for Cara.
What do you guys think?

As always comments and suggestions are always welcomed! Let me know what you guys think!