Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

39. Love ‘em and leave ‘em

39. Love ‘em and leave ‘em

(Regular POV)

The Penguins defeated the Islander’s in overtime 4-3 but lost to the Ranger’s in a shutout. The loss was hard for the team to take. Flower was taking it personally and was in a horrible mood for the rest of the night. As soon as the team arrived back at their hotel, the goalie went straight to his room and refused to go out with anyone.

They were staying overnight in the big apple before flying to Raleigh the next morning.
Nicole and Duper were watching a sitcom, neither were feeling up to leaving and were considering ordering room service, when there was a knock on the door. Duper got up seeing as he was on the bed closest and let the person on the other side in.

“What are you doing?” Jordan called out as he sank down on the bed next to Nicole.
“Staying in. why?” Nicole answered as she scooted over so the blonde giant could fit.
“Wanna go out?” Jordan wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.
“Oh sweetheart, if you had only asked me sooner!” Nicole dramatically answered as she sank deeper into her pillow. Duper chuckled at the two’s antics.

Jordan let out an exasperated sigh, “Not what I meant! You know I’m a love ‘em and leave ‘em type. I’m meeting up with Marc and seeing as he’s the only brother you haven’t met yet I want you to come with me.” Jordan gave Nicole he best puppy-dog eyes and tried to look innocent.

“Put those things away, Gronk. I would love to meet Marc. Just let me get dressed,” Nicole went to move from the bed but Jordan tackled her before she could get up.
“Yea! Thanks Nic!”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Sidney’s POV)

I knock on the door of room 613. I figured I could relax with Duper and Nicole before lights out, maybe order room service. Duper opens the door and looks surprised to see me.

“Sid, what are you doing here?”
I give him a confused look, “I came to see you and Nic. She is rooming with you still right?”
Duper steps aside to allow me inside, “Of course, but she and Jordan left almost an hour ago. I thought you would be with them.”

This catches me off guard as I see that Nicole isn’t in the room, “They didn’t say anything about going out.”

“It was just dinner I believe. Jordan wanted to introduce Nicole to Marc,” Duper offers an explanation for the missing Penguins.

“That actually doesn’t surprise me. He’s been wanting Nicole to meet Marc,” I say as I sit on her bed.

“Yes, I think Gronk is planning on having his parents adopt her after the season,” Duper laughs at his own joke as he settles back against his own pillows, “you’re not mad they left you, are you?” Duper gives me a serious look. He’s flipped on ‘Dad mode’.

“No. Nic’s a big girl, she can handle those two. Besides, she needs her own time away from me. I can respect that.”

Pascal gives me a steady look before cracking a smile, “Good. Let’s order some food. I’m starving.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Jordan’s POV)

It takes us almost an hour to get across town to the private restaurant that Marc had said to meet him at. Nicole and I decided to take a cab, but even at 9 pm that was a bad idea. I had called Marc to let him know that we would be late as a ‘responsible adult’ would – Nicole’s words not mine.
The place was called Tiny's and the Bar Upstairs – it was a three story townhouse located on W. Broadway in the heart of Tribeca.

Nicole and I were led to a private room in the back of the townhouse. We both stopped in the door way as I scanned the room for Marc’s red head. I spotted him in the corner and placed my hand on Nicole’s lower back to guide her further into the room. As we approach, I can see that Marc is not alone. He sees us just as we reach the table and stands to greet both of us.

“Jordy! It’s about time you got here. Tough loss little brother,” Marc chirps as he gives me a bro hug. I see his eyes scan over Nicole before he offers his hand, “Marc Staal – the best brother – it’s nice to finally meet you Nicole. I’ve heard great things about you from this guy,” he points back at me as my face heats up.

Nicole lets out a girlish giggle and takes his hand, “It’s nice to meet you too, but the jury is still out on who the best brother is.”

Marc lets out a booming laugh and motioned for Nicole to sit on the inside of the booth. She slid in and smiled at the other occupant.

“Well well, King Henrik what a pleasure,” Nicole smiled at the goaltender as he let out a small chuckle.
“Please, Hank will do,” the Swede offered his hand to Nic first then me, “Nice to see you again Jordan.”

The waitress brought rounds of drinks as the four of us talked. Hockey was not on the topic list. Nicole and Marc hit it off like I knew they would and Henrik was his normal charismatic self. I mostly watched, a small smile on my lips the whole night.

We stayed for a couple of hours, only realizing the time had slipped past midnight when the wait staff started cleaning around us. Nicole offered to pay which made all three of us laugh. She gave us a dirty look for that.

“What? I can pay every now and then,” Nicole stated her case but that only made us laugh harder.
“We were raised well and would never let a lady pay, besides, the bill has already been taken care of,” Marc answers.

“And how is that? You boys haven’t left the table,” Nicole’s sassy side started to show more.
“I know the owners,” Henrik says as a grin spreads across his face again.
“Really?” Nicole questions; I see Marc trying not to laugh again.
“Yeah, I’m one of them,” Marc laughter burst from his mouth as Hank joins in. Nicole turns bright red with embarrassment.

Instead of getting flustered Nicole chirps, “Planning on retiring so soon, Hank?”

He looks at Nicole for a moment, “No. But it’s always good to have a backup plan. Plus it gives me something else to think about outside of hockey.”

I could tell she wasn’t expecting such an honest answer because she’s speechless for a few minutes before she says, “That’s a good plan to have.”

“It’s kinda like your photograph, Nic,” the words escape my mouth before my brain catches up.
“You’re a photographer?” Marc questions.

Nicole blushes, “It’s just a hobby I picked up. Helps clear my head. They’re nothing special but I enjoy it.”

“She’s just being modest,” there goes my mouth again, “I’ve seen them and they’re great photo’s. She could probably sale them and make a living off it if hockey hadn’t happened.”

“Oh really?” Hank asks.
“No they’re not that good. Jordan’s just being nice,” Nicole flushes a deeper red as the four of us make our way out of the restaurant.

Henrik and Nicole continue talking and walk ahead of Marc and myself when Marc nudges me. I look at him and he motions for me to hang back. About ten feet separate us before Marc opens his mouth.

“So when are you going to tell her?”
“Tell who what?” I ask.
“Don’t give me that. Eric saw the same thing that I see tonight. You like Nicole, as more than a friend. Not that I blame you she seems like a great girl.”

“You two have lost it,” I defend, “Nic and I are just friends. Besides, she’s with Crosby.”
“And if she wasn’t you would be all over it,” Marc motioned toward the brunette in question.

I look at Nicole and let out a heavy sigh; no one knows that I have feelings for her but both of my brothers could see it clear as day. I should have known that I couldn’t hide something like this from them. We had always been close.

“That’s what I thought,” Marc gives me a cheeky grin as we start walking again.
“What should I do?” I ask catching him off guard.

“Don’t know. I’ve never been in that kind of situation before; but I’m betting, if things go south between her and Crosby, she’ll get shipped out. So, would you be willing to do long distance?”

“No,” Marc looked at me in surprise but I quickly added my honest answer, “She’s worth fallowing.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Regular POV Jordan and Nicole)

The two Penguin players said their good byes to the two Rangers. Nicole had swapped numbers with both Marc and Henrik; she loved Marc, he was so much like his brothers and easy to get along with, and Henrik was as charming as he looked and wanted to look at some of Nicole’s prints the next time they played in Pittsburgh.

Jordan and Nicole managed to hail a cab and make it back to the hotel in twenty minutes. The ride was quiet, Jordan’s mind was spinning while Nicole was simply tired. She had leaned against Jordan, her head resting on his chest with his arm wrapped around her and was nearly asleep when the cab pulled up to the hotel.

Jordan helped her out of the cab and pulled her close to share his warmth against the chilly New York air. They made it to the correct floor; Jordan was practically carrying Nicole at that point. He walked her to her door which was across the hall from his own. He wasn’t ready to say goodnight.

“Thank you for going with me,” Jordan said softly so he wouldn’t wake any of the others of the floor.
“Thanks for asking me to go,” Nicole answered, “I like Marc, he’s a sweetheart; and Henrik is delicious.” Nicole was joking but Jordan felt a flash of jealousy rise from the pit of his stomach.
“No Swedes,” Jordan says seriously as he leans against the door, his arms effectively trapping her close to his body.

Nicole looks up at him. His 6’4’’ frame towers over her petite frame. Her brown eyes meet his ice blue ones. Nicole’s breathe catches as Jordan’s lips crash down on her own. His hands move from the door, one tangles in her long, dark hair as the other runs down the length of her body, stopping on her hip to pull her closer. Nicole’s flower and honey sent intoxicates Jordan as he deepens the kiss. Nicole’s lips willingly part to allow his tongue to slip in and dance against hers.

Jordan breaks the battle and pulls away first. He and Nicole are both out of breathe.

“Wow,” is all Jordan can manage before leaning down to capture Nicole’s mouth again; she pulls back after his lips brush hers again.
“Goodnight,” Jordan whispers before placing a small peck on Nicole’s head and walking into his own room.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)
I entered my shared room and see that Duper had left the T.V. on. I grab some clothes and changed quickly in the bathroom. As I walk back around the corner I could see a figure in my bed. Guilt washes over me when I realizes the figure was Sidney. He had been in her room waiting on me to get back, while I had been out with, and kissed another man.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

I did not just see that. There is no way that just happened. Jordan wouldn’t…..Nicole……Merde!
♠ ♠ ♠
**Ducks and covers**

First off I want to apologize for any upset or angry readers right now. I have been battling weather or not to post this chapter for a week now in hopes that something else would present itself but that clearly did not happen.

I plan on wrapping this particular story up fairly soon and would like to know if anyone would be interested in a continuation or spin off or both.

The spin off would be of Max and his new team. The continuation would focus on Nicole of course.

let me know what you guys think!

Comments, opinions and suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks!!!