Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

Morning practice and the first game

6. Morning practice; game day

The next morning I wake up to my alarm going off and a heavy pounding from my front door. I quickly grab a Pens shirt and shorts to cover up with and run to the door. I look through the peep hole and see Max's grinning face.

I unlock the door and throw it open just as he swings to hit the door again. I duck out of the way as he loses his balance. He reaches out to grab the door frame but misses and grabs me instead, taking us both down to the floor. Max lands on top of me, squishing me against the floor. He looks at me, our faces are so close and I can smell his Cologne. 'If I move a little I could kiss him,' I think to myself. 

I don't know how long we laid there staring at each other but we were brought back to reality when we heard Rex trot into the room.

Max blushes deep red and says," I'm so sorry Nic. Here let me help you up."
"It's okay Max," I say also turning red.
"Are you alright?" He ask, his voice full of concern.
"Yeah, just wish we could stop meeting like this," I say with a laugh so he knows I'm not serious.

"Is everything okay, by the way?" I ask him.
"Yeah, why?"
"Well you just woke me up by pounding on the door. I just assumed something was wrong," I state. "Oh! No, I was going to offer to drive you to the rink since we live so close together. You know, maybe car pool. Save the planet and all," he's rambling clearly unsure of what my reaction will be. "That sounds great," I say smiling at him. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When we arrived, we were greeted by Pascal and Marc, who had also just arrived.

"Good morning, beautiful," Marc says.
"Awe, Marc, I didn't know you cared," Max answers with a cheeky grin.
"Not you, ya dumb bastard. I was talking to our lovely young lady here," he says while offering me his arm.

"Thanks, Flower," I say with a giggle as I kiss his cheek.
"One for me too I hope?" Pascal says offering his cheek.
I kiss his too and he turns and says, " the other one too. I am French after all."

I laugh and kiss the other side and Max exclaims, "Hey! What about me! I drove us this morning." "You got your welcome this morning," I say, then realizing what I said I blushed causing the other two to crack up laughing.

"W-what happened this morning?" Marc asked when he caught his breath.

I exchange a look with Max and he says," I kind of fell on her when she opened the door."
"It been that long, Talbo?" Pascal asks with a huge grin.
Max turns bright red and says,"no, just wasn't expecting it."
"You knock, she opens up. That's how it works. You don't have to attack her," Marc says as we enter the locker room. 

"Who was attacked?" Sidney asks full of concern, since he only heard the last part.
"Max took out Nic," Marc states.
"Eh! I didn't mean too," Max says with a sheepish grin.
"You alright, Nic? I know how heavy Max's ass is," Jordan chirps.
"What is this? Pick on Max day?"
"Yeah I'm good," I say with a laugh, I can't help but enjoy myself as the team chirps at Max.

Just then Coach walks in, "ok team hit the ice."
As we walk out he calls after us," don't hurt the rookie, Max! We're going to need her later!"
Max lets out a groan and I laugh at him as we take the ice. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" I yell out across the ice to Geno so he'll pass me the puck.

I'm wide open and have a clear shot on net. He weaves through both Kris and Max and send the puck across the ice. It lands perfectly on my stick and I send it flying into the upper shelf just as I blow a tire. The light goes off signaling a goal. My line mates dog pile me just as I try to get up.

"Alright boys don't hurt her. I still need her for the game," Coach calls out a they get off me.
"Good shot, Nic," Sidney says with a tap on my helmet.
"Thanks Captain," I say with a huge grin.

Dan blows the whistle signaling the end of our morning skate and tells us to go rest for the game that night. 
As we walk off the ice, I hear a cat call. I turn and look and see several of the Caps players had come out to watch out skate.

"Hey beautiful!" One of them called out.
I ignored them and continued down to the locker room so I could leave. 

As I headed out to Max's car I felt a hand grab my shoulder. I turn around and see none other then Ovechkin standing there.

"I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Alex...."
"Ovechkin, I know," I finish for him.
"Nicole Green," I say shaking his hand.

We small talk for a couple of minutes when we hear the voices coming from down the hall. I can clearly hear Max and Jordan, they give Geno a hard time about missing the shoot out as Marc laughs at them. The guys come to a dead stop as the realize that I'm standing there with one of our biggest rivals. 

Max and Jordan cross their arms at the same time as Geno shakes Alex's hand.

They exchanged something in Russian then Jordan speaks up," is there something we can help you with? The way out perhaps."
Alex gets this look on his face and then grins at the guys," I was just telling Nicole here to watch out on the ice. We not take it easy just because she woman."

The guys looked stunned, clearly not expecting that and I try not to laugh at them.

"Thanks for the warn...." I try to say as Max cuts in," if you try to hurt her you'll have to answer to us!"

The anger in his face was surprising and I quickly jump in between the two men.

"Thank you Alex. It was nice to officially meet you. We will see you on the ice."

He pauses for a moment to consider the out I just gave him, then he nods and walks away. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I stare after Alex as he disappears around the corner. Jordan clears his throat to gain my attention back, I had almost forgotten that they were standing there.

I look at them as Marc opens his mouth," soooo...." He drags out clearly waiting for me to start talking.
"What?" I question.
"What? WHAT?! What the hell was THAT, Nicole! You were talking to the enemy!" Max yells out at me.
"Whoa! Wait right there, Maxime Talbot! I can talk to who ever the hell I want too!" I shot back, feeling my temper flair.

We're standing toe to toe, with Max towering over me looking down.
Jordan grabs Max's arm and makes him back up, "easy man! Nic's right. If she wants to talk to that ass she can," he states calmly. I take a step in their direction as Geno picks me up around the waist.

"Put me DOWN!" I say as firmly as I can. 

Just then, Sidney and Pascal come around the corner. They stop in their tracks, not sure of the scene before them.

"What's going on?" Sidney asks.
"Nic talk to Ovechkin, Max lose mind," Geno states, still holding me.
Pascal looks at us with a smirk and says," put Nic down G."

Geno looks down at me and I can see the light go off.

"Sorry," he mumbles," you light, I forget I hold you," he says louder.
"Gee, thanks," I shoot back.

"What did Alex want anyway?" Sidney asks calmly.
"Just introduced himself. Guess he wanted to meet me officially," I say, ignoring Max who I can feel staring at me.
"That's not what he said," Max retorts I can't decide if its to get on my nerves or if he's just trying to defend himself, but the first is happening.
"He want to get you angry," Geno says, "he just play."

Sidney clears his throat, gaining our attention again and says," are you two good now?"
I look at Max as he looks at me, "yeah I'm good," I say.
"Oh you know I'm always good," Max says with his signature smile.
"Alright guys, lets get out of here and get some rest for tonight then," Pascal says with a slap on Jordan's shoulders. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"HEY, HEY, HEY!"

I shout over the ice to Sidney as he battles in the corner. We're in the last few minutes of the third period and tied 3-3. He sees me and sends the puck to me. It lands right on me tape and I send it to the net. GOAL! The stands erupt as thousands of fans jump to their feet.

It's my first official NHL goal and I'm pumped. I jump against the glass in celebration as my line mates gather around me to congratulate me.

"WHOOHOO!"
"Great shot, Nic!"
"Ata girl!"

I heard all of these and many more from my team as I skates down the line, bumping fist with everyone. I stay on the ice for the remaining two minutes as the clock ticked down. The Capitals had several good shots on goal but were unable to connect with the back of the net. We win 4-3 and the stands go crazy with the final horn. I get credit with the winning goal and am second star with one goal and two assist, behind Sidney who had a hat trick and one assist also. 

I come off the ice after my salute to the crowd and I get stopped by Dan Potash, the Pens lead interviewer.

"Nicole, you had a great game tonight. How does it feel to score your first goal in your first game of your NHL career?"
"It feels great, Dan. Sidney played the puck perfectly, all I had to do was tap it in."

"It looked like you guys had a battle on your hands all night, what was the turning point for you guys?" He ask.
"It was a battle all night. The Caps came ready and we had to up our game. But the boys did great, Flower shut them out and made big plays when we needed him too. Sidney had a great game and the boys really wanted that win," I say.
"Alright. Thanks, Nicole."
Thanks, Dan!" I say with a smile and make my way back to the locker room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Give me some feed back guys I'd love to here from y'all! :)