‹ Prequel: Stray Heart
Status: Updating regularly :P

Angel Blue

Welcome to paradise

Sean's almost 3 now, Green Day have released their newest album, Insomniac, Mike and I are still completely in love. I guess you could say life is well, pretty perfect. Billie Joe and Adrienne now have another baby, 7 month old Joey, and Tre and his short lived marriage to Claudia rewarded him with year old Ramona.
My Dad is thankfully still in prison for the time being, he still doesn't know about Mike or Sean, so we're going to tell him today. Mike fixes his shirt.
'What if he doesn't like me?' He fusses and I snort.
'The scumbag in prison for murder and domestic violence? I think you win hun.' I remind him and he chuckles, taking my hand in one of his and Sean on his other hip. We drive to the prison, taking in the big grey doors, with the grey bolts and grey bricks, full of grey faces. We enter and talk to the bored looking receptionist with glasses and bright red lipstick.
'Christopher Spence?' I ask, and the lady points to a room down the hall.
'He'll be in number 7.' She says, feigning a smile. We get outside room 7 and I'm shaking as I reach for the door handle. Mike puts a hand on mine.
'Babe, you can do this.' He assures me and I twist the handle.

I open the door to a man that isn't the same person that killed my Mum. His eyes are sunken, he looks tired and dead. Broken.
'Hi Dad.' I mumble, and he smiles weakly.
'Hi Nicola. Who's this?' He asks, gesturing to Mike from the other side of the glass screen.
'This is Mike, my husband, and Sean, our son.' I explain and he looks take aback.
'Why didn't you tell me?' He says, seemingly hurt.
'Never got the chance I suppose. Look, Dad, I know you're gonna be in here for a long time, but I still want Sean to know you, I didn't have Grandparents. Mike's parents don't visit often.' I explain.
'Your parents live a long way away?' He asks and Mike shakes his head.
'No, we just don't talk much, I moved into my friend Billie Joe's garage when I was quite young as my Mom moved away. They're my adopted parents, and they had a real bad divorce. I don't know my real parents.' He explains and my Dad nods.
'Sorry to hear that.' He sighs. 'Could I have a moment with Mike?' I nod and take Sean outside.

Mike's POV

'So how long have you been together?' He asks.
'Well, you remember the time you came home and I was on the sofa in one of Nic's pink tank tops? You broke my jaw? Well yeah the day before that really.' I tell him and he smiles again.
'So the kid, Sean, is what, 3?' 
'In a month and a week, yeah.' I nod and he smiles fondly.
'I never thought I'd have any Grandchildren, this is a nice surprise. So what do you do for a living?' He continues.
'Well I do part time at a mechanics, but mainly I'm the bassist in a band.' I respond and he furrows his brow.
'A band? What are you called?' He asks with a curious voice, leaning back and crossing his ankle over his knee.
'Erm, I doubt you've heard of them. Green Day. We just released another album, Insomniac, but our most popular one is Dookie.'
'No way!! My son in law in Green Day! We always hear the chefs playing that from the kitchens. You're good!' He says in shock and I laugh. 'So you picked my Nicola hey? You could've had any girl in a band like that.'
'Sir I would never want any girl but Nicola. She's perfect in every way, and a brilliant mother and wife.' I defend, offended he would talk about her like that.
'Chill, I was just testing you to see if you were serious about my daughter. You are. That's good.' He chuckles and I nod.
'So, I should probably get back to, you know, my wife and kid.' I say, standing up.
'You should. It was nice meeting you.' He replies, standing up and brushing off his thighs. I open the door but am stopped by his voice.
'Take care of her, Michael. God knows she needs someone like you.' His voice sounds full of sorrow and regret.
'I will, Sir. I love her very much.' I assure him, and I close the door behind me.

We are starting work on our next album, Nimrod, tomorrow, so I'm kind of afraid that I wont be around for Nicola and Sean for about a month. I find Nicola in reception with Sean, he's sitting on her lap and reading some words from a phonics book. He's a real smart kid, just like his Mommy. She smiles up at me and we walk to the car in a comfortable silence.
'I can't believe that is the first time I've seen him in over 3 years.' She sighs and I rub her leg with my hand from the driver's seat.
'Mommy who was that man?' Sean pipes up from his car seat in the back.
'That's my Daddy, your Granddad.' She says briefly, but Sean carries on.
'Why is he in jail?' He persists.
'He did a bad thing before you were born.' I interrupt and Nicola shoots me a thankful look. Finally Sean shrugs it off and we drive home.

We get home just as Billie Joe, Adie and Tre arrive. Nicola immediately goes to get everyone a drink and make dinner for us all but I sit her back down and tell her I'll do it. I decide to make macaroni and cheese - it's my speciality.

*Nicola's POV*

Mike says that he'll make the dinner and I thank him and kiss him - seriously, how did I ever get so lucky? He emerges 20 minutes later with various plates of mac and cheese and a 'kiss the cook' apron. I oblige to the apron's commands and we all sit down to eat.