Status: Hopefully weekly updates!

Better Days Are Ahead

Chapter 3

LAKE

I seriously can't believe this is happening. My favorite band is adopting me and I'm going to live with them forever. This like something out of a fan fiction. Crazy.

The Carer tells me to go pack my things. I don't have much, but I'd like to take the little I have with me. As I'm putting my clothes into my suitcase, I hear loud footsteps. They aren't loud because they're stomping, they're loud because of the floor and how large the person is. I turn to see Zack standing in my doorway.

"You can come in, you know." I say, smiling. He walks in and sits on my bed cautiously.

"Are you excited to live with us?" I look at him for a quick moment before answering.

"Of course I am! Are you guys excited to be my dads?"

"Oh man, yeah we are. You should see them down there. They're buzzing about how it's gonna be having you around. They couldn't be more excited. I couldn't be more excited." I put my suitcase on the floor and sit on it. I reach around and pull the zipper shut with ease.

"Gosh this all means so much to me. I never thought I'd get family love again. I stand corrected." I laugh softly and look up at him.

"You certainly do, we already love you. You can't get more love than from the All Time Low band and crew. Though, I think you'll be having to control them sometimes. They get crazy, in a good way of course. We may be crazy, but all of us are really good people. We love ya, Lake!" I smile and nod my head. I'm not a girl of many words. We sit there for a few moments in a comfortable silence. We're both quiet people so he knows I just took everything he said to heart. "I think they're waiting for us by now. You ready?"

"Couldn't be more ready," I reply standing up. As we walk out of the room, I stop to look at my room one more time. Sure, I didn't like being up for adoption, but this place was a refuge before I got this amazing opportunity. I can't hate the place but so much. I catch up with Zack and he notices my bag.

"Lemme get that for you," he grabs it from my hand.

"Thanks, that was heavy," I laugh. We turn the corner and see the other guys sitting and waiting. I tap Alex's shoulder and he turns towards me swiftly. He stands up with the others and starts getting us out of here. He's babbling about where I'll stay and what tours going to be like when I hear him say something about taking me shopping and I stop.

"No guys, you can't do that for me. I'm alright with what I've got, really."

"Lake, I'm going to take you shopping whether you like it or not and you can't stop me. I want the best for you. You're living with rockstars now! You gotta live the rockstar life!" Everyone laughs. I guess there's just no stopping him. I can't help but to be touched by his kindness. I'm not too used to this except from pretty much the Carer. Even then, it's her job.

We pull up at a big house and I'm not sure whose it is. We all hop out of the car and Alex goes to unlock the front door. Ok, it's Alex's house. We all go inside and I'm shocked. Alex has really great taste, actually. It's clean too, that surprises me a bit less but still.

"Do you wanna see your room? I fixed it up all special for you." Alex's question pulls me from my thoughts. I give him a warm smile and nod. If this is his living room, I can't wait to see what he did in my bedroom. He practically runs up the stairs and waits in front of a door that I assume leads to my room. He motions for me to open it and go inside. I push it open and I'm floored.

The walls are a light blue and the bed is black and white with a really pretty pattern. There's a bean bag chair in the corner, all black furniture, and a nice TV mounted on the wall. I look back at him with awe. I walk over to hug him.

"Thank you, Alex. It's so wonderful!"

"Aw I'm glad you love it! The walls are a bit bare, but we can buy you some posters and stuff. You can get other things for the room if you want. I tried to keep it as minimal as possible so you could do the rest yourself. The room has been sitting like this ever since we got the news from TWLOHA. I was so happy."

"If you let me pick things out, that means there'll be posters and stuff all over the walls, you know."

"Well I guessed whoever lived here would do that. It's cool, it'll be better if you put your own touch on it anyhow." I nod and keep looking around. "Well if we want to go shopping we better get the guys together and head out. This should be interesting," I give him a curious look. Interesting? "I say that because we get sort of wild when we go out together. Nothing out of hand, but it's always an adventure. It'll be fine, I promise." I nod, understanding now. We walk back downstairs and Zack is helping Jack do handstands. Jack spots me and smiles wide.

"Hey Lake! You like your room? Alex has been going on about this thing for weeks now." His words are strained a bit because he's upside down.

"I loved it, he did a great job!" Jack smiles before almost falling over. Zack caught him.

"C'mon goofballs, time's a-wastin'!" Alex says from beside me. Soon we are all piled in Alex's SUV. "To the mall!" We pull out of the driveway and make our way to the mall.

It's so loud in here. Always has been, always will be. We pass by a bunch of people who pay us no mind. That's alright though, I don't want anyone noticing me. We go into pretty much every shop. This is the most intense shopping trip I've ever been on. Though, I've never been on many shopping trips.

We've lost count of the bags we have and our feet are tired. We decided that it's time to go home so we do. The shopping bags pile up in my room, I'll take care of them tomorrow. Right now it's late and I'm exhausted. We all sit in Alex's big couch and are deciding what movie to watch.

"I think it's only right that Lake picks tonight. She's our new daughter it's her first night with us." Rian states from his spot. They all look at me and I start thinking hard. Which movie do I want to watch?

"The Breakfast Club?" Smiles fill faces. We find it on Netflix and hit play.

-

ALEX

By the time the movie is over, it's just Lake and I. The guys left one by one throughout the movie to go home. I love this movie a lot. Then again, who doesn't? Lake's eyes start drooping as the credits roll.

"Hey I think it's time for bed." She nods and heads up the stairs. The clock reads 1:00 AM. we reach her room and we look at each other. "Goodnight, Lake."

"Goodnight, Alex," she hugs me tight. "Thank you."