Status: Work In Progress

Believe in This

Finding a Home

My foot nervously tapped against the carpeting of Ben’s car as he turned down the last road leading to his parents’ house. Christmas was three days ago and as promised he had picked me up at my aunt’s house to spend the day with him and his parents before we returned to London for the New Year.

You’d think I’d be fine, having auditioned in front of Hollywood’s finest, appeared on billboards and commercials but the idea of meeting the two individuals that Ben trusted and loved most had me wanting to jump out of the moving vehicle and into the snow that blanketed the countryside.

Taking my hand in his, Ben pressed a kiss to my knuckles before settling our entwined hands on his leg.

“You have to relax darling. You’re worrying yourself over nothing.”

“That’s easy for you to say. You've known them your entire life. What if they don’t like me? Men never stay with women there mums don’t like.”

“Charlotte, it would take an act of God to keep me away from you regardless of what my parents think. You can quit worrying about any such thing happening though because they are going to absolutely love you. Mum’s already bought everything you've ever been in and talks more about you then me when she calls. I wouldn't be surprised if she’s already picked out baby names.”

Biting my lower lip, I glanced out the window at the quaint country home as Ben pulled to a stop at the end of the drive. Nodding more to myself than Ben, I took in a deep breath and mentally told myself I could get through anything that happened.

“Okay, let’s go before I lose my courage.”

Ben smiled at me before stepping out of the car, walking around to open my door and help me out. He pressed a quick kiss to my lips before leading me up the walk and to the door. There was no need to knock as it opened before we even reached the last step, revealing Wanda who looked as welcoming as I imagined.

‘Oh Benedict, you haven’t done her beauty justice. Come in, come in before you freeze to death in this cold.” She spoke, placing her arm around my shoulders and leading me inside the home.

“Make yourself useful and go get your bags. I’ll get Charlotte settled in here.” She spoke, shooing her son back outside.

Grumbling under his breath, Ben headed back to the door, “Nice to see you too mum.”

“Always so dramatic he is. Now, I just finished with lunch. Ben told me how much you like French onion soup and I thought since it’s so cold outside it would be perfect.”

“I absolutely do but you didn't have to go to all of the trouble just for me.”

“Nonsense, it’s not every day Benny brings home a girl. For dinner, I thought we’d pop into town for dinner at Ben’s favorite pub. I think sometimes he visits just to have their pot roast.”

“I know exactly what you mean. I think if his trainer wasn't so strict he’d eat it every night.”

Wanda laughed as we entered the kitchen, a blend of modern appliances but with the homey touch every mum managed to achieve. There were four individual bowls of soup placed on the table in front of window looking out at a beautiful winter garden and a basket of freshly baked French bread to go with the soup.

The two of us had just taken a seat when Ben came back in with his dad following behind him. I stood back up as Ben introduced us, surprised when instead of shaking my hand he went right in for a hug just as his wife had.

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you love. Ben talks so much about you I feel as if I've known you for years.”
“Well I hope he’s only talked about the good things.” I teased, taking my seat once again.

“I don’t know how anyone could have anything bad to say dear.” Wanda chimed in.

As we all dug in to lunch, I had to stop myself from moaning because it was so delicious. I was a sucker for cheese and with Wanda covering the top of each bowl with a generous slice before she baked them just made the meal all the better.

“So Charlotte, Ben tells us you’re a dancer.”

Looking up at Timothy I nodded my head in reply, “Yes, I've been dancing longer than I've been acting. I would have double majored in Acting and Dance if the Royal Academy had offered it but unfortunately they don’t. I keep up with classes whenever my schedule allows for it.”

“Ben said he got to witness your dancing firsthand on set and told us how amazing you are.”

Glancing over at my boyfriend he just nodded in agreement, “Sometimes I think your son over exaggerates my abilities.”

“Nonsense, you are an amazing woman whether you’re acting, dancing, or sitting in your pajamas and I will continue to tell you so for the rest of your life.”

“You’re both so alike and you don’t even realize it. Always putting yourself down.” Wanda spoke.

“Yes, perhaps you can talk some sense into one another.” Timothy agreed.

“I try to every day.” I teased.

When we finished with lunch I had to convince Ben’s mum to at least help me gather the dishes before she insisted Ben show me around the winter garden. Apparently, he had told her all about my green thumb and obsession with gardening.

After slipping back into our [ulr=http://www.polyvore.com/meet_parents/set?id=143927686]coats[/url] we headed down the path Wanda gardened along that led to the small creek just at the back of the property.

“It must have been amazing getting to spend every Christmas here. The city’s beautiful no matter the time of year but there’s something I just love about walking outside and stepping into three feet of snow and running back in to sit by a tree and sip hot chocolate.”

Wrapping his arms around my waist as I looked across the slowly moving water, Ben placed his chin on my shoulder.

“Well I don’t know how mum and dad would feel about us taking over their home for Christmas but how about a house with a big yard? Would that suffice?”

Scrunching my face in mock contemplation I finally nodded, “I suppose that will do but only if we have Christmas lights and a real Christmas tree. Mum always made Dad take the two of us to cut down a real Christmas tree at the beginning of December every year and then we’d spend all night decorating it and the rest of the house.”

“Well I’ll have to practice my ax swinging skills but the rest I can most definitely do.”

We spent the next hour walking around during which I convinced Benedict to help me build a snowman which was met with a barrage of Frozen references and lyrics. When we headed back to the house, the sun was beginning to set and I felt like I was due for a nap.

Pulling of our shoes and coats at the door, we tiptoed our way through the house. Wanda and Timothy were sitting in the living room, the later of the two half asleep as he stared at a book.

“You two look absolutely beat. Go on and take a nap and I’ll wake you closer to dinner.”

I sent her a smile of appreciation as Ben took my hand and led me upstairs, not giving me enough time to glance at the framed pictures of him as a baby that were hung on the wall. When he opened the door to one of the bedrooms and pulled me in I looked around a little confused.
“We’re sharing a room?”

“I think mum found it pointless to separate me from my girlfriend when I dated Olivia for eleven years.”

Pulling me down onto the bed I let out a yawn before laying my head on his shoulder.

“I may be sleepy now mister but I’ll have you know I fully intend to look at those baby pictures on the stairwell later.”

“I am sure I can find other ways to distract you.” He whispered, letting his hand run down to my bum.

“I don’t think so, not under you parents roof.” I replied pulling it back up to my waist.

I didn't think he was capable of whining but in the next few seconds I was proven wrong, “But I've always had this fantasy revolving around Weird Science. I can be quiet.”

“You might be able to be quiet but I lack that ability. You can have me all to yourself when we leave tomorrow afternoon, until then hands drift no lower than the waist.”

Benedict let out a huff thinking his pout would get him somewhere though it most certainly would not. Wrapping his arms around me, I burrowed down into his body feeling right at home in his arms and his parents’ house for that matter. I might not get to spend my holidays with my parents but my aunt and uncle and Ben, now his parents as well, were more than great substitutes.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, so sorry it's taken this long to get this out. I just finished the fall semester and the eighteen hours I took were absolute hell but the good news is I'll breeze through the spring. I know this was extremely short compared to what you should get for three months of a break but the next chapter will be New Year's and Ben and Charlotte opening presents so I didn't want to smash all of that into one.