Status: Work In Progress

Believe in This

Can't Believe It

Two days scurried by faster than I expected. Part of that was due to the fact that I slept for almost an entire day, recovering from jet lag and the last months of constant work. My second morning home, a Wednesday morning to be exact, I pulled myself out bed and forced myself to attend my usual dance class at noon. I had been completely true when I told Mark and Steven I kept up with my dancing, if I’m not being extremely lazy with a clear schedule nine times out of ten chances are you’ll find me at the dance studio.

Grace, my best friend since I was old enough to walk, had texted me while I was on my way to the studio, demanding that we do something later in the evening as, and I quote saying, “Just because your arse is getting famous doesn’t mean you can’t be seen with a lowly commoner such as myself.” After having lunch with Maggie so we could catch up and go over my schedule for the next few weeks I headed back home only to find Grace waiting rather impatiently on my doorstep. The two of us had grown up right next door to each other, attending the exact same schools until I left for RADA but we were still inseparable.

“You told me you weren’t coming over until four.”

“I know but you know how easily I get bored. Besides, you can only stay out for so long.”

“I’m glad you have so much confidence in my social life.”

Grace simply let herself in after I unlocked the door to my flat, plopping down on my sofa and looking at me expectantly.

“So what now?”

“Well I’m going to take a shower and wash all of this sweat off. Then we can pop down to Sainsbury’s. I need to restock my fridge and there’s this baked spaghetti recipe I’ve been dying to make.”

I left Grace downstairs to her own devices and headed up to my room peeling my clothes off along the way. I found it odd to not have heard a sound from Grace the whole time I got ready, usually she would have resorted to raiding my closet or wasting time on my Mac but I had yet to hear a peep from her.

When I finally made my way downstairs I found out why, finding her sitting on the sofa with the single page of my Sherlock script in her hands.

“What’s this?”

“Just a script for this audition I had yesterday.”

Staring incredulously at me she waved the script in the air nearly shouting as she did so, “Oh no, this isn’t just some script. This is a Sherlock script. You auditioned for a role on Sherlock!”

“No one was supposed to find out. That script was supposed to be seen by my eyes only. Anyways, I doubt I even got the part. I’m sure there are much more well-known actresses with much better acting skills than my own who auditioned.”

Snatching the script out of Grace’s hands I sat it back down on the coffee table beneath my Mac shooting her a look that told her we were dropping the subject. Grace was my closest friend, no doubt, but there were times when I would prefer to just not talk about my chosen career path.

“So dinner? I’m getting hungry.”

“Let me grab my bags and we can head out. We all know how you get when you’re hungry.”

I grabbed the bags I had sewn together so that I could avoid using tons of plastic ones out of the kitchen and Grace and I headed off to the nearest Sainsbury’s. Grace was sent off to get the ingredients for a S’mores cake I had found online while I went off on my own to gather those for the baked spaghetti. When I reached the point in my career at which I was receiving a steady paycheck I started buying mostly organic and natural foods. I had done a ton of research into both and decided that it was a change in my life I felt was necessary to make.

I definitely could tell a difference in the way I felt, appeared, and what I tasted just from changing my eating habits. I had even gotten Grace to jump on the bandwagon and she was even beginning to use all natural products which I had switched to nearly two years ago.

After I managed to fill a cart full of food and other necessities Grace and I made our way back to my flat, both of us starving by this point and ready to eat. It was just as we reached my front step that my cell phone began to ring and I placed the bags inside the entry way before answering. Grace went ahead and went inside to start putting away the groceries, having done so plenty of times before so that she knew where everything went.

“Hi Maggie.”

“Hi sweetheart. So I’m afraid I have some good news and some bad news.”

I know Maggie could hear my regretful sigh as I took a seat on my front step closing the door so Grace couldn’t hear my conversation.

“I had to move up your photo shoots for True Religion and Simply Fresh to next week because of some conflicts in your schedule.”

“I thought I was free for the next few months. When we went over it this afternoon those were the only two things I have planned before the premiere of “Lost River.”

“That’s the good news. I just got off the phone with Steven Moffat. You got the part Charlotte. They want you to be Amelia Stevens.”

I must have sat there staring at my shoelaces for a good two minutes simply absorbing Maggie’s words. Only the sound of a motorcycle buzzing past broke me out of my trance and placed me back in reality.

“They want me to be Amelia?”

“Yes, Steven said there was no questioning how perfect you are for the part. According to him though, if there had been any reservations Benedict wasn’t going to take ‘no’ for an answer when it came to you getting the part.”

“I can’t believe I got the part.”

“Well you better, I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more. I’ll let you go so you can celebrate. I’ll call you when I get more details from Mark or Steven.”

“Thanks Maggie.”

With a push of the button, I ended the call before taking in a gulp of air. I managed to regain the feeling back in my legs after a few seconds and navigated my way indoors to find Grace still putting my groceries away. As soon as I entered, she turned around probably wondering what sort of news I had received that warranted the expression on my face.

“What? What is it?”

Still shell shocked I murmured, “I got the part.”

“Charlotte, you know I can’t hear you when you have your face buried in your hands.”

I pulled my face out of my hands and coherently repeated my previous words.

“You got the part on Sherlock?”

I nodded my head with a smile on my face and could only watch as one manifested on her own. As I had expected, Grace let out a shrill scream that I was sure the neighbors could hear. Listening to Maggie’s advice, we began our celebration immediately getting my blender out from the cupboard and whipping up a pitcher of Sex on the Beach.

As we worked on dinner with music blasting and drinks in our hands the sound of the doorbell broke us out of our reverie and warranted me turning down the music. I quickly sat my glass down and moved to the front of the flat, surprised to find a delivery man standing on the other side of my door with a large bouquet of dark red roses in his hands.

After signing the slip he was holding in his hands I carefully maneuvered back through the flat with the large arrangement in my hands, praying to god I didn’t drop what could only have been a most expensive display.

“Who the hell sent those?”

“I have no idea but they’re absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully, this will give me some clue.” I replied, plucking the card from the top of the arrangement.
“Those are beautiful. Who the hell sent them?”

Scanning over my name elegantly scripted on the front I flipped it open and read the message inscribed within.

“Congratulations on getting the part. In my opinion, there was absolutely no one else more worthy of the role after a most magnificent audition. I’m looking forward to getting to know you and working with you in the coming months. Should you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me. Benedict.”

As I finished reading I looked to the bottom of the card finding his number written beneath his flourishing signature. Sensing Grace was about to have a conniption I handed her the card, flinching as she let out a much louder scream than her previous one.

“Benedict fuckin’ Cumberbatch just sent you roses and gave you his mobile!”

“I should probably text him and thank him for the flowers.” I voiced wanting to be just as thoughtful as he had.

Lifting her eyebrows up Grace replied, “No, you should text him and invite him over so you can properly thank him for the flowers if you know what I mean.”

“I’m going to ignore it because not only do I barely know the man but that is terribly inappropriate. Go check on dinner and leave the messaging to me.”

Letting out a huff, Grace turned her attention back to the stove giving me a chance to pick up my mobile and concoct a message worthy of sending to Benedict.

‘Thank you for the flowers, they are absolutely gorgeous. I do have to say the best I’ve ever received.’

I sent the message before I could dwell on it any longer and rejoined Grace helping her plate our food so we could finally eat. Within minutes we were seated in front of the television devouring the baked spaghetti while our favorite movie, Dirty Dancing played in front of us.

When my mobile rang I snatched it off of the table, managing to be quicker than Grace as she tried to grab it before me.

‘You’re most welcome. I hope they suite your tastes.’

‘Red roses are my absolute favorite so you deduced correctly.’

“Don’t think I’m oblivious to you texting Benedict bloody Cumberbatch. If tits start flying out and penis pictures start being received I’m out of here.”

“I don’t know what world you live in but thanking a man for flowers does not involve me sending him pictures of my tits.”

I set my phone back down on the sofa, turning my attention back to the screen and my food. Five minutes didn’t even pass before my phone vibrated once more signaling I had received another text.

‘I’m glad to see playing the world’s only consulting detective has its advantages. After perusing the florist’s shop for nearly thirty minutes I just decided on something simple and classic.’

‘Well you chose wisely as I happen to be a very simplistic person. They add just the right amount of color to my sitting room.’

Hours later, after copious amounts of food and alcohol had been consumed, the kitchen cleaned, and Grace sent on her way home, I was spread out on my bed with a head full of wet hair when my phone vibrated once more.

‘I’m glad you like them so much and I’ll be sure to remember how simplistic you are. Sleep well Charlotte.’

With a smile on my face I set an alarm on the device and plugged it in to charge. It seemed that for once in my life my dreams were slowly but surely becoming a reality.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments and critiques are appreciated. Thanks to everyone who has read and/or recommended.