Status: Work In Progress

Believe in This

Out of Character

I was a little restless by the time Wednesday rolled around though I suspect that’s what sitting around on set for two days straight would do to any sane person. It would be my first day of filming and my nerves were on end, more so than usual. Benedict had left earlier in the morning, leaving me at the flat by myself and giving me time to do a bit of exploring out on my own. Finding a small café to have brunch in I was just finishing my sandwich when my mobile rang.

“Hello?”

“Yes, this is Abigail from The Box. May I speak with Ms. Hughes?”

“This is she.”

“Oh, well Ms. Hughes I’m so sorry for getting back to you so late on your and your partner’s proposition but we’ve been absolutely swamped this past week. Anyways, Mark and I sat down last night and decided that we would be absolutely pleased if yourself and Melanie would perform your show at our establishment.”

“Oh my gosh, we would love to! Thank you so much!”

“It’s our pleasure Ms. Hughes. I spoke with your agent Margaret earlier today and she was kind enough to fax me over a copy of your schedule. Max and I have cleared the club’s schedule for every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday night starting on January 20th and running through February 14th. I see that your current filming schedule end’s around Christmas so aside from New Year’s the club will be open to you and your team for rehearsals starting on December 28th from 1:00-5:00.”

“That is perfect. I’ll get in touch with you when I return home to finalize the plans once I run them over with Melanie.”

“We look forward to working with you Ms. Hughes and do keep in touch.”

“I will, thank you so much.”

I had to stop myself from doing a happy dance in the café but figuring I would get my fair share of stares I refrained and resorted to letting out a small squeal. I settled my bill and called Melanie as soon as I was out of the doors letting her know we had the job. We were more than ready to sit down and discuss our plans for the show as it would be our first time performing together since we were at RADA. As I rounded the corner to the studio, I was, but shouldn’t have been, surprised to see a crowd formed around the building. I could tell by the numerous shirts and signs that most, if not all, of them were fans of Benedict’s, dying to get a glimpse of him from behind the barricades. A quick flash of my pass later, I walked into the studio telling Melanie that I would text her later. I was too busy texting Margaret to notice the figure walking down the stairs. It wasn’t until I ran straight into Benedict that I looked up from my mobile.

“What has you so giddy?”

Jumping up and down, I managed to keep my balance on the stair I was situated on, “We got the show! They called me today and want us to perform for nearly a month!”
I wasn’t expecting Benedict to lift me off my feet as he swept me into his arms, “That’s amazing Charlotte!”

Being set back down I replied, “Honestly, I’m still a little shocked.”

“I didn’t doubt for a second that you would get it. I shall endeavor to be the first proud ticket holder.”

“There’s no need for that. I’m sure I can sneak you a few.”

“No, I insist on paying for them as everyone else will. No doubt it will sell out.”

Looking up at him abashedly from under my eyelashes I shook my head, “I doubt we’re that good.”

“I’m beginning to think Ms. Hughes that you underestimate not only your beauty but your talent.”

Staring into the depths of Benedict’s eyes, his hand still lingering on my waist, I could feel the electricity flowing between the two of us. Not really having the time to date growing up, I had only had two boyfriends both of them rather serious though I would admit that I had never truly been in love with either of them and as terrible as it sounds they really just kept me from being lonely. What I felt with Benedict, however, was more powerful than the feelings I had felt for either Richard or William and the two of us had only known each other for a little over a month.

“Charlotte, we’re ready for you in hair and makeup.”

Breaking my attention away from Benedict I looked down the hallway to see my stylist beckoning
me into wardrobe.

“Don’t make plans for tonight, I’m taking you out to celebrate.”

“Oh no Ben, that’s not necessary. You were up at five in the morning, you’re probably ready to just get in bed and sleep the rest of the night.”

“Nope, I will not hear any argument. I shall come fetch you when filming’s done for the day.”

“Only if you insist.”

Sending me a smirk as he continued on his way he turned around to reply, “I most certainly do.”

My first day on set had seemed to drag on but my first actual day of filming passed by faster than I expected. Benedict and I only shared the screen for a few minutes as most of my filming was done with Martin and Una. Finished for the day, I washed the layer of makeup off my face and put on a light layer of lip gloss and a few swipes of mascara, thankful that my hair was still in its curls from earlier in the day. From the open doorway I could see Benedict leaning up against the wall, patiently waiting for me. Quickly putting my makeup away, I slipped on my purse and grabbed my jacket from the coat rack before joining Benedict.

Fifteen minutes later we arrived at one of Benedict’s favorite restaurants, The Clink and were seated in the back in a somewhat secluded area. Our waiter arrived almost as soon as we were seated and while I was usually flattered by the attention of men this particular one just gave me the creeps. I didn’t feel it was necessary for him to stare at me the entire time he stood before our table. Needless to say, I was relieved when he finally left us alone.

“So Martin and Amanda want us to join them for paintballing this weekend. They meant to speak to you about it today but never got the chance.”

“That sounds fun. I’ve never been to a paintball course before.”

Quicker than usual, our waiter returned with our drinks before venturing to take our orders.

“What can I get for the lovely lady this evening?”

“I’ll have the cheddar cheese soufflé with the white bean, tomato, and parsley salad.”

Looking away from the man’s leering gaze I was a little stunned he didn’t even speak to Benedict before he recited his own order but was more surprised to watch Benedict nearly throw his menu at the man as he retreated from the table.

“Benedict, are you alright?”

“Fine, I just don’t like the bastard. I wasn’t raised to think it appropriate to eye up women right in front of them. The manners of some people are absolutely appalling.”

Laying a hand on top of his, where it sat fisted on the table I looked into his eyes hoping to calm him down.

"Its fine, as terrible as it sounds most of us are used to it. You needn’t worry.”

Mumbling under his breath I could barely make out his next words which I’m guessing he didn’t want me to hear.

“You’re my only concern at the moment.”

Benedict looked rather uncomfortable throughout our dinner which in turn made me slightly nervous and uncomfortable as well. It also made me wonder why he had invited me out with him in the first place if he was going to barely speak to me and act like it was physically hurting him to be in my presence. To be perfectly honest, his actions were beginning to piss me off and I was wishing I had declined his dinner invitation in favor of takeaway and a good book back at the flat.

Our meal seemed to drag by and I’m certain when Benedict declined dessert that I let out a sigh of relief that I wouldn’t have to be in his presence for much longer. As the waiter came back with our check, I rolled my eyes upon seeing that his name and number had been scribbled down below our total. Ignoring Benedict’s protests about paying for the meal, I grabbed a few notes out of my wallet and practically threw them down onto the table.

It was like fire and ice the way Benedict had transformed from his usual warm, receiving self to the cold person that now sat across from me. Never in my life had I seen someone do such a complete one eighty in a matter of minutes. In all of the time we had spent together there was hardly a moment of silence. The way we babbled away at each other was reminiscent of mine and Matt’s friendship, though I had admittedly never wanted to have my way with Matt. At this point, a bus could have come hurtling through the room and I would have been thankful for the reprieve.

“You know, I just remembered I need to pick up shampoo from the shop. I’ll just meet you back at
the flat.”

Standing up as quickly as possible and slipping back into my coat, I took no notice of the sudden downturn in Benedict’s posture, one which had been rigid throughout our meal and appeared ready to snap at any second. Hurrying out of the restaurant, I took in a gulp of the chilling winter air as I headed back in the direction of the flat.

After a bit of a walk, I actually popped into one of the shops to buy a few things, figuring it would look odd for me to return empty handed. The silence I stepped into when I opened the door set me on edge and I tiptoed down the hallway wondering if Benedict had returned. Slipping into my room I immediately shut the door, pulling off the coat and scarf I was donning and hanging them up in the closet. The tub sitting in the corner of the bathroom was calling to me, telling me that all I needed was a warm soak to wash off the day and especially the mood I had been left in by Benedict’s actions.

Forty-five minutes later I slipped into a pair of pajamas and began a mental debate over whether I dared to venture into the kitchen for a cup of hot chocolate and few biscuits for a midnight snack. Deciding it was worth the risk, I opened my door to hear the sound of Benedict’s voice echoing down the hallway from his half opened bedroom door.

“You don’t understand Martin. I acted a complete arse! I invited her to dinner and if it wasn’t bad enough for me to ignore her for the whole meal I was a complete dick when I did manage to speak.”

Peeking around the doorframe I could see Ben pacing back and forth, still donning the same clothes from earlier though his unkempt hair told me he had ran his fingers through it, probably in desperation, numerous times.

“I don’t know! It just stirred something inside of me to see that jackass eyeing her up so lasciviously. Never in my life, has a woman been able to get under my skin in such a way. All I could think about was how much I wanted to smash his head into the table.”

The flat fell silent as I leaned against the door frame with my mouth slightly ajar, trying to deduce exactly why I was the subject of his conversation.

“I’m not even sure she’s come back to the flat yet. It wouldn’t surprise me if she booked a hotel room the way she practically ran out of the restaurant. What the fuck am I supposed to do now?”

I’ll admit, I hadn’t known Benedict for very long, I’ll admit to that, but I felt that for being acquainted for just a month that I knew him very well. So it was a shock for me to hear him so torn up, especially over a simple, rotten dinner with myself.

The sound of Benedict’s door opening caused me to panic and rush into the bathroom without even closing the bedroom door. I managed to shut the door to the bathroom and turn the water in the shower on, hitting play on the iHome I had placed on the counter. I must have stood in silence for ten minutes at the least before chancing coming out. I checked to make sure Benedict wasn’t lingering in the hallway before silently shutting the bedroom door, deciding it was best to opt out of hot chocolate and biscuits. Pulling back the covers to the bed, a wave of sleepiness washed over me faster than I was expecting and I only managed four pages of Memoirs of a Geisha before falling asleep with my Kindle face down on my chest.

I was somewhat roused from my sleep by the whispering of my name, though it wasn’t loud enough for me to open my eyes and acknowledge that there was someone in my room. I probably wouldn’t survive long in a horror movie since I would probably sleep through being murdered. I barely registered the removal of my Kindle from my chest and the bed sheets being pulled over my body. Had I not been so exhausted, I would have probably sat up at the feel of lips on my forehead but as it was I barely managed pulling the covers up to my chin and cuddling into the warmth the bed offered. As such, I was completely oblivious to Benedict’s desire to do much more than place a simple kiss on my forehead.
♠ ♠ ♠
I only have so many excuses as to why I haven't updated. I went out of town to see Avenged Sevenfold for the sixth time in April and after that it was finals and loads of papers to finish before the end of semester. Then after hauling all of my stuff home I realized somehow my computer had water spilled all over it so I had to deal with that issue. But now I should be back to my regular updating schedule. Comments are always great!