Green Eternity: With You

Fire.

Scarlett’s POV

My head whirred as I looked down from the roof into the black abyss swirling with leaves that I considered my pool. I grasped the tiles and looked straight ahead, from here I could see the whole of Maleny, and on some good days I can see the coast dotted with white buildings.
At the moment, though, a storm was setting in, it wont be in Maleny for another half hour, but it sure was setting in.
I was, to say the least, confused. This was by far the most eventful new years so far, I met the man that brought my past back up, the man I cannot stop thinking of.
The wind picked up even more, my hair lashing at my face.
Nearly forgetting my purpose up here I reached beside me and pulled out a photo album from the last box left in my attic. I neatly and carefully pulled out each photo, one by one, and stacked them on top of each other.
I glanced down at the photo on top of the pile, Jack. I fought back tears as I studied his face, he was smiling at the camera, his smile ceased to reach his eyes. He looked about eighty, no hair, and empty eyes. I turned over, my writing scrawled on the back: May 15 ’07. I turned back over, running my fingers over his hospital robe, studying the countless numbers of wires attached to him.
This was my new years resolution, the only pictures I will own of Jack from this day on will be the ones that are happy, the real Jack. My resolution was to sort my life out. This was first on my list because I knew how to deal with it, once I’ve dealt with this I’m hoping everything else will become clear, I really do hope so.
I reached into my pocket and retrieved a lighter, setting the pile of pictures alight and setting them back in the box, engulfing everything, the wind carried little bits of burning pictures whirling around my head. I stood up, and watched the paper fly out over my yard starting the journey to Maleny.
I sighed as I felt a massive weight being lifted off my shoulders, this was good.
May.20th.2007.
Don’t.You.Dare.

-Flashback-

I awoke from a bad dream; it was still dark outside, no where near morning. I squinted at the clock 3:12 am flashed on its cheap reflective screen.
I wasn’t supposed to fall asleep, but it had been days since I had touched a bed. Jack had insisted that I sleep next to him to keep him company.
Shit, Jack.
I rolled over to face an empty side of the bed.
He wasn’t there, shit shit shit.
I forced myself out of bed and stumbled into the hallway. A large crash emitting from the bathroom, fear crashing into my head, all the alarm bells started ringing, I muttered insults to myself as I ran to the bathroom.
Jack stood at the sink, shards of glass scattered everywhere, and he shook with sobs.
I rushed forward, grabbing him and turning him around.
“Oh no, looks like you had an accident, come here while I fix you up”
I pulled him back into his wheelchair and studied his hands.
Cuts covered his hands, come bits of mirror still stuck in his palm.
I picked up the phone that stayed next to the toilet and dialled mum.
“I’ll be right over” she hung up.
I turned back to Jack, his face blank and emotionless.
“I want to die” he whispered to me biting his bottom lip.
“You don’t really want to sweetie, it’s just a dark time, you’ll pull through” I picked up his hand again.
“I WANT TO FUCKING DIE OKAY?! I HATE THIS, I HATE YOU!” he looked away, still not showing any emotion.
My vision became a blur and I let go of his hand, treading on shard of glass as I walked out of the room.
Mum found me outside after the nurse had fixed Jack up.
“Come on love, Jack is asleep again, you need to get that looked at” she nodded towards my feet, now covered in blood.
“He said he hates me mum, he hates me” I stared blankly ahead.
“He doesn’t mean it love” she rocked me from side to side.

“Scarlett, wake up, snap out of it, SCARLETT!”
A voice brought me out of my flashback, my eyes flung themselves open.
I looked down; the roof was on fire, black billowing smoke pouring out of the house. I froze, in shock, was my house on fire?
Someone grabbed my arm and spun me around, I jumped and my foot slid and hit the gutter, I couldn’t move, I was falling.
The gutter gave in and I was send off the roof, turning around in time to see Akearin grab onto me, his eyes wide in shock.
Black.