My Savior

Back To a Time Where I Wasn't So Blind

Seventeen year old Ashleigh grimaced uncomfortably as her father sat next to her in the Mega Mall food court. Her long brown hair reaching her upper shoulder blades, her skinny jeans ripped and torn, topped off with a Pink Floyd tee shirt, and ratty chucks that she couldn't bare to part with. A guy who looked to be a bit older than Ashleigh locked eyes with her and smiled, causing the brunette to blush and look down at her fries.

Guys never liked her, so to speak, she was a rough and rugged tom-boy without an ounce of girl in her sociable personality. She never liked make-up, or frilly things. She was used to being referred to as 'dude' or 'Ash' she loved wrestling and muddy sports, she had a mean swing when it counted and she was happy with that. She was simple. Simplicity is what worked best with Ashleigh Jensen, that was no argument.

Darren Jensen smirked as his daughter dug into her fries as if they were her last meal. He too noticed the guy eying his daughter with a smile on his face. Although Ashleigh could deal without boys and the drama that came with the territory, he couldnt help but wonder if this was god's way of showing her how beautiful she was, past that rough exterior.

Darren also noticed the style of the boy, he looked as if he came from money, big money, yet, Darren wasn't quick to judge a book by its cover. Soon after that, the guy got the courage and walked to the table occupied by father and daughter.

“Excuse me.” he spoke gentle. Ashleigh blushed harder, Darren just smiled and said hello.

“What can I do for you...”

“Mark,”

“Right, well, what can I do for you, Mark?” he shook Mark's hand. “I'm Darren, and this lovely girl is Ashleigh, my daughter. She's seventeen.” at this Ashleigh begun to talk.

“Why don't you just give him our address while you're at it dad.” she groaned wishing her father would shut up.

Mark shuffled amused.

“Well, it's a pleasure to meet you Darren, you as well Ashleigh.” Ashleigh nodded.

“Have a seat. Tell me about yourself.”

“Well. My name is Mark Sullivan, you may have heard of my father's corperation, Sullivan enterprises? I've been working there since I was sixteen, I'm twenty now. We started from the ground up, and I couldn't be any prouder of my father.” Mark smiled, Darren smiled as well.

“Sullivan enterprises is rather big in the world. I commend you for staying grounded. I know wealth may go to some people's heads.”

“I just wanted to be a normal teenager. Money is no object. Unless for educational reasons. I mean, I drive a beat up pick up truck because it's the first car I bought with my own money. Fancy things are nice to some people. They're just not me.”

“What school are you attending?”

“None as of now, I want to get a bit more money to pay for full tuition.”

“Ashleigh is looking to go to West Chester University this upcoming fall. Right honey?”

“Yeah. I'm studying business and money management.” Mark smiled.

“That's pretty cool. I live around West Chester myself, so maybe I'd see you around or something, are you going for four years?” Ashleigh smiled back and shook her head.

“Two to three, I've completed some of the work in community college along with my high school credits. It's night courses, which is harder, but I end up finishing school earlier with my associates degree.”

“Smart girl.” Darren smiled, watching the two interact, Mark was perfect for her. He just knew it.

“Darren, do you mind me asking you something?”

“Go right a head.”

“Would it be too much to ask, assuming we just met, if I could take your daughter on a date?” Ashleigh looked up at her father wide eyed, her lungs gave up and it was as if she forgot how to breathe.

“I don't see why not, but, it's Ashleigh's choice. I do think it's very polite of you to ask permission, although not many people do that in this day and age.” Darren chuckled, Ashleigh gulped and caught Mark's deep gaze.

“Uh..I..sure, I guess one dates okay?” it came off as a question rather than a sure response. Mark only grinned wider, he seemed unashamed he just asked out the most boyish girl she believed to be in the Philly area. Also asking her father, no less. The three carried about there conversations until it was time for father and daughter to head home, not before Mark wrote down his phone number and she, her address.

Darren felt happy that is daughter was coming out of her shell, he just knew Mark was perfect.

It wasn't until six months into their relationship, his daughter getting accepted into West Chester, and her distance to him. As the happy couple spent more and more time together, and her spending less time with the ones she loved, it was then, Darren found Mark to be a bit too perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
I forgot to mention in the prologue, Ashleigh is 23, and Mark is 26. Sorry for the confusion!