Status: Work in progress. Also the first story I've let anybody read. Any and all comments welcomed

Embracing the Storm

Surviving

The smell of medication and sterilizer filled his senses. Every muscle was on fire. Chase opened his eyes, trying to sit up. Pain shot out and he laid back with a groan. He tried to recall what happened but everything was fuzzy. He remembered the ceremony, the chase, and Deanna screaming.

Sitting up again and ignoring the sharp pains in his body, Chase tried throwing his legs over the edge of the bed.

“Where do you think you are going?”

Deanna stood in the doorway, coffee cup in her hand. She looked as if she hadn’t slept in weeks. Sitting on the edge of the bed, she sat watching him. Unsure of what to do. As much as she wanted to pull him into a hug, she didn’t want to hurt him further.

Chase pulled her into him embrace, wincing at the pain. Nothing felt better than having her in his arms. Leaning back, he watched the smile spread across her face.

“What happened Dee? The last thing I remember is seeing Stephen cornering you.” Chase trailed off, trying to will the events to come to him.

“You two fought. There was so much blood. For a moment I thought I’d lost you.” Deanna sighed. “Stephen is gone though. He’s dead and he wont be bothering us ever again.”

Chase nodded, and watched as his pack’s doctor gave him a shot of morphine.

“Sleep my love. Your wounds were deep and you broke a few ribs. Concentrate on healing.” With a light kiss to his lips, Deanna watched as Chase slowly fell to sleep.

Sitting near the bed Deanna closed her eyes, remembering the events leading up to the hospital.

“John?”

Rushing to his brother’s side, John dropped to his knees. Chase was pale, blood pouring out of his open wounds. Looking up at Deanna he saw the panic all over her face.

“John, what do we do? What do we do John?” Frantic, Deanna fought to keep the tears at bay. Her hands covered in her mate’s blood, tears slowly falling down her face.

“Deanna.” John waited for her to acknowledge him, but to no avail. “Deanna! Look at me.” Authority oozed from John.

Looking up at John, Deanna was shocked at the dominance in his voice.

“This is what is going to happen. You are going to run as fast as you can. You are going to get the truck and drive to the lake. I’m going to carry Chase there and then we are going to get him to the doc to stitch him up.” John placed his hands over Deanna’s, keeping pressure on the wound.

Deanna couldn’t remember running to the Alpha house. She didn’t see the questioning looks from the pack members. The drive to the lake was a blur, as was the drive to the pack’s doctor. Chase was rushed back to surgery. Their werewolf genes allowed them to heal, but when the wound was to deep it took time. Chase had lost almost half his blood supply, and was in severe danger.

************************************************************************

Deanna snuggled up next to Chase on his hospital bed, an ultrasound picture in her hand.

“The one thing that has always worried me, about being what we are, is that I would get pregnant with a litter.”

Chase laughed, ignoring the discomfort it caused him. Looking at the picture he smiled, he was going to be a father. Life was perfect, he had his mate and a pup on the way. Nuzzling into Deanna, Chase placed light kisses along her neck and shoulder.

“What? You wouldn’t want to have a bunch of my pups at once?” He chuckled.

“Oh no. One is enough, for now.” Deanna sighed in content.

“Have you heard from John at all?” Chase could barely keep the bitterness out of his voice. Waking up in the hospital and being told your brother brought you there, but didn’t stick around to see if you would live, would rub anyone the wrong way.

Deanna sighed, John gave her strict orders not to say anything yet. Not until he could figure things out.

“Listen Chase, you need to hurry up and get better.” Deanna demanded.

Looking at his mate, Chase smirked. “Oh really? And why is that?”

Rolling her eyes, she leaned in close to his ear. Whispering softly, “So you can take me to bed, and we can finally complete our Joining.”