Status: complete

Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures chp 14

I'd gone out this morning on assignment, lugging my equipment and camera to take pictures in Central Park. Last night, Kit and I made love in his bed, and I stayed the night instead of going back to my hotel. But this morning when I was on my way out his door, I told him maybe I'd see him later and he didn't like it.

"What do you mean 'might'?" Kit forced his brows together and took a stiff stance.

"I have to download pictures and get them edited for my boss, Ms. Johnson. She wants them for the magazine as soon as possible. I've been distracted lately, by you, and I haven't done my job. I don't want to get fired."

"You're blaming me for not getting your shit done? Fine, we don't have to date each other anymore. Go do your job. I have plenty of offers to get a drink or have some fun after work." Hands on his hips, he leaned forward and told me to get out.

I wasn't bothered by the nineteen year olds behavior, but I didn't like the feeling of our relationship being threatened just because Kit took it personally that I had to go out and make a living.

"I can't stop you from dating others and lord knows I don't want to hold you back. So, if that's what you want, I'd appreciate the heads up right now." I wasn't being kind, I was dead serious. Apparently my detached attitude angered Kit further.

"Get the fuck out of my apartment!" He pointed to the door. "Leave and don't come back."

I had nodded sadly, turned, and left with my dignity. There was no arguing with Kit. He had a fire in him when he was defensive and I didn't have time to explain how important my job was to him.


I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head with one hand while keeping my finger on the shutter button of my camera. It had begun to lightly rain and I was nearly done. The day had started out promising with sunshine without a cloud in the sky, but a half hour later, the black storm clouds began to drift in unnoticed behind me. It wasn't until a loud shudder of thunder bellowed and shook the ground that I picked up speed. I rearranged my camera for a different view, changed my lens, and adjusted the settings.

Rainy day pictures held captivating scenes as well as sunny days. I hurried because I didn't want to get caught in lightening or a downpour with my expensive equipment. After fifty more shots, I packed up and headed to my car; the rain cutting through the air like icy spears.

I put my things in the trunk, slammed it closed, ran to the driver's side, and ducked inside the car. After starting it, I turned the heat on full to rid myself of my shivering. I discarded the now soaked jacket I'd worn and rubbed my goose bumped arms. Rainwater dripped off the tips of my hair to my shirt and spread dark discolorations as the drops were absorbed into the cloth.

I wistfully looked up at Kit's building. "No. I have to get these pictures finished. I started at the magazine not too long ago and it wouldn't do to be late on an assignment," I mumbled to myself and let a cold shiver consume my body.

At my desk at the office, I downloaded nearly three hundred photos. My boss had given me specifics about what she wanted for the spread. Ms. Johnson was a hard sell, a tough woman my age that knew what she wanted out of me. The buxom brunette wore her hair short with flyaway wisps and a light fringe on her forehead. Her aqua colored eyes came from the use of contacts. She was tall, confident and kind outside of the workplace where she was demanding and proudly wore the nickname hard-assed bitch. She did her job very well and the magazine was a success, accredited to her business sense and go-get-'em attitude.

I worked hard, deleting most of the pictures ruined by either shadows, raindrops on the lens, or other 'nature' problems. My favorite was three purple finches that had flown into my sight through the telephoto lens. They'd stopped at the pond's edge for a stopover to rest during the fall migration. The birds looked as if they'd been dipped in strawberry wine and their feathers were fluffed for insulation against the turn of the chill from the impending storm. Each little bird drew one leg to its breast for warmth. It was a beautiful photo of colors: the birds, the contrast of the blue pond, the bright burst of red foliage from the Sumac and the orange leaves from the Amur Maple. This photograph showed my talent for capturing an easily lost moment.

A knock on the open door leading to many computer desks and photographers, including me, prompted me to look up. "Hi Ms. Johnson, I'm still editing, but come look at this one. I'm really proud of it."

My boss smiled at my eager face, entered the room, and walked around my desk. "As you should be. It's fantastic," she said over my shoulder. "What else do you have for me?" I scrolled through a few for her to sample.

"I think you've captured Manhattan in the fall, but I'd like more sunny pictures by Monday."

My shoulders fell with disappointment. That meant working over the weekend. I wanted to spend it with Kit. Time management was going to be my middle name if I wanted to balance a relationship and a budding job.

"That won't be a problem, will it?" she asked, standing up and adjusting her skirt. Her dainty gold earrings gleamed when I looked up at her.

"No. My job is my priority." So I lied a little, who doesn't?

"I don't want you to work too hard, Richard. I merely want unordinary pictures like the bridge and the birds. Try the other side of the park to give you a refreshing look and a boost of enthusiasm." She patted my shoulder before squeezing it. "I'll leave you be."

"Thank you." I watched her leave and glanced sideways at a co-worker whom shrugged at me. I'd only just seen him at the desk next to mine today.

"I think she likes you," he stated the obvious openly and unashamed and then looked away.

I gazed at him, guessing he was close to my own age, and finally stood up. Holding out my hand politely, I introduced myself, "I don't believe we met. I'm Richard Parker. I moved here from L.A. not too long ago."

"Hi. It's nice to meet you." He swiveled his chair to greet me, took my hand, and shook it. "I heard we had a newcomer. I've been on vacation and I usually spend my days outside shooting and working from home on my subjects, but damn mother nature decided to bless us with rain."

I chuckled. "At least it's not snow. I'm not ready for that. It's been over a decade since I've had to deal with it."

"Take the train to work. It's not so bad if you don't mind the punks, the drunks and the occasional person who hasn't showered talking to himself and answering."

"It's that bad?" I opened my eyes wide. Was the train dangerous?

"Nah, I'm pulling your leg." A deep resounding laugh left his mouth. "Do you want to see what I'm working on? I've spent the whole week on it and I have to say it's damn good work."

"Love to." I stood next to his chair and eyed computer as the slideshow began.
∞∞∞∞∞∞
I woke to the sound of my cell ringing on the table. I sat up and put a hand on my dizzy head. My co-worker and I went out after work last night and had a few drinks. I should say he had a few, I had a few more. Work was pure hell today. He kept joking about how slowly I moved and that my face had aged twenty years. After work, I drove straight home, stripped and crashed on the bed and went to sleep. Now the damn phone demanded my attention.

"Hello." My voice was scratchy.

"It's me. Um, are you mad at me?"

"Kit?" He sounded genuinely worried. "No, I'm not mad. Are you still mad?"

"Not anymore. I'm sorry I told you to leave and not come back. I was angry because I was going to make us a nice dinner and when you said you'd 'maybe' see me later I got pissed off that my plans were spoiled. It's not your fault, it's mine."

"Apology accepted." I grinned at how mature he sounded and that he'd made plans for us on his own to woo me. "Would you like to go out and get dinner tonight? I haven't eaten yet," I said as I glanced at the time. "My treat."

"Um..., I wanted to ask you to come here for dinner. And," He sighed without finishing his sentence. I heard in the background, "Tell him to hurry! I'm starving."

"Kit, who is that?" I asked, my blood raced from hearing a strangely familiar voice. But it couldn't be him, he was in L.A.. My mind wouldn't let me entertain the idea it might be him.

"It's-" I heard Kit take a big gulp of air, hold it in, then let it out slowly. "It's Dirk. He's staying here for a few days. He has business in Manhattan and I told him it was okay for him to sleep on the couch. Is that alright with you?"

I couldn't dictate who he let visit him. It wasn't my place to tell him what to do or who to see, so I replied in a honeyed tone, "Of course. What time is dinner and what can I bring?"

"I have enough food. Can you come now?"

"Sure. I'll see you soon." I hung up and went to the bathroom to freshen up. The nap did me some good, but it hadn't taken away the dark circles under my eyes. I wasn't sure how Dirk would react to me, so I planned on playing it cool. Kit and I were nothing more than friends that fucked. If Dirk grilled me about our relationship, I'd play the 'Kit's my pal' angle.
∞∞∞∞∞∞
I knocked on the door to Kit's apartment and fixed my collared shirt before Kit opened the door. We eyed at each other for a beat until the bright lettering on his white tee shirt attracted my eyes and my gaze drifted downward.

BOYS
BOYS
BOYS

Hm, interesting. I thought with a smirk and glanced up to witness his smile and the warmth radiating from it. I'd take him in my arms if Dirk hadn't been standing behind him wearing a hoodie that said Hot Mess on it.

"Hey there, old man." Dirk said to me with an 'I know something you don't know' smirk.

"Hello, Dirk." I really had nothing else to say to him other than - how's the porn industry - and that would be rude.

Kit reached for my hand and led me inside. "Thanks for coming." He squeezed my hand, his gaze roaming over me, eyes reflecting his underlying sexual needs.

"This is a treat after the day I had," I told Kit with a grin and gave him an equally desirous look.

"Bad day? Didn't grandpa get his afternoon nap?" Dirk snickered as we walked to the kitchen.

Why was this smartass here again? I explained, "I went out last night and had too much to drink. Food might be a good cure for this hangover."

Kit let go of my hand and gave me the eye. "Who did you go out with?"

"Probably someone of his own intellect and age," Dirk muttered loud enough for us to hear, then donned the clever smirk he liked to wear.

I ignored Dirk and faced Kit to say, "I went out with a coworker. He's very nice, you'd like him." Kit's face told me he wouldn't, so I quietly said in his ear, "We'll talk later if you want to."

He moved away, opened the oven with mitts, and took out three baked potatoes. Dirk pulled out three plates and said, "Oh no. There's trouble in paradise already? I have to say it shocked the fuck out of me when Kit said he saw you here in Manhattan." Dirk challenged me with his eyes, but I wasn't intimidated. Then he said without an ounce of humor, "And that you two fucked." He left the kitchen to set the table.

My heart leapt in my chest. "You told him?" I whispered.

"Yes. I'm not ashamed and it's not a secret, is it?" Kit pulled the tin foil off the steaming potatoes while smiling. He was enjoying seeing me squirm. He acted flippant about it all, so I did too.

"No, it's not." I shrugged. "But, I thought you'd wait until our relationship was more established."

Kit slammed his hand on the counter and faced me. With a flick upward of his eyebrow, he stated. "I know what I want and I know what you want. So, let's cut the shit and quit wasting time." He smiled at me. I swooped in and gave him a deep kiss on his beautiful mouth before Dirk came back and saw us. I didn't know about Kit, but I wasn't in the mood to get razzed all night by his EX.

I pulled out of the kiss and set him back from me. We both took deep sighs as our gazes locked. I touched my lips; still burning from the intensity of his lips. The levelheaded side of me said, "We're not wasting time. We have all the time in the world. Let's not rush it, okay?" Kit put his arms over my shoulders and raked his fingers through my hair. If only Dirk weren't here. I'd take Kit to the bedroom and he could card his fingers through it until I fell asleep. I put my hands on his hips and brought him pelvis to pelvis with me.

"You moved out here to be with me, yes?"

"Yes, so?" I baited.

A lopsided grin appeared on his face. "So be with me. Make it official."

"Official? Okay, we're dating." I said low, and as he swiveled his hips and pressed himself against me, I understood I was at his mercy.

"Only each other though, right?"

"That's what I want, is it enough for you?"

"Of course." Kit hugged me and I hugged back. Dirk made his presence known with a tsk and a few words in a blasé manner, "Look, the happy couple made up. Yay."

I slowly dropped my arms from Kit's body and turned to the sourpuss. "Do you have a problem with us?" It concerned me. I'd leave if it made Kit more comfortable.

"No." Dirk opened a drawer and gathered utensils. "But if you hurt him, you'll answer to me, old man." He glared at me, but I looked right back, then he bent over and laughed. I shook my head, finding his attempt at intimidation juvenile. Kids these days. Even Kit giggled. A beer in the fridge was calling my name and I took a bottle out and twisted the cap off. So much for my hangover, having another tomorrow would be worth drinking tonight, especially if Dirk was going to act like a little shit.

"Let's eat." Kit told us.

I asked Dirk questions about his 'job' while I tasted my steak. He went on and on about the porn industry as if he knew it like the back of his hand, and maybe he did. He told me, and Kit who just listened, that his first time was amazing. I saw Kit wilt a little and knew he felt saddened. I quickly snuffed that conversation because I could see how it bothered him. I covered his hand and said, "We'll make our own movies sometime." Just to cheer him up.

"I thought you said you wouldn't."

His fucking face looked gorgeous due to my proposal. I smiled and licked the salt off my lips. "I'm not absolutely opposed to it anymore." The truth was, I think I'd want to tape us so I could see if Kit made the same face with me as he had with Dirk in their viral sex video.

"I'll be in it with you guys, or I can film it!" Dirk leaned forward with a snake's smile on his lips.

"No." Kit shook his head and stuck out his tongue. "Ricky didn't invite you."

"Ricky? That's one for the books." Dirk laughed. "Me, I woulda called you Dick. I still may, Dick." When he looked at me, his smile fell away. I knew he wanted Kit back, but I wasn't worried. Kit didn't love him. He said he loved me and deep down, I think I loved him too.

"Don't call him Dick you dork." Kit chuckled. Either he was unaware of Dirk's attitude toward me or he was trying to keep the peace by keeping things light. "He's Ricky." Kit smiled at me, his eyes warm and full of deep longing.

I smiled back and let my gaze fall and linger on his lips while I spoke to him, "Thanks kitten, but it's okay. I was called Dick when I was in elementary school, then I was Rich and finally, in high school I wanted to be called Richard. I guess I've been called every nickname you can come up with from Richard."

"Kitten? What the fuck. You guys make me sick." Dirk put his finger in his mouth and pretended to throw up using sound effects and all.

"What can I say? He purrs at me." I winked at Kit and tore my eyes away from him before the strong urge to throw Dirk out the window and lay Kit out naked on the table took over. My cock inched to life and I cursed under my breath at the inconvenient timing.

Dirk had been squirming in his chair since the topic at the table didn't include him anymore. He changed the subject the first chance he got; bragging about his life and what he'd been up to. I remained silent, but nodded often to show I followed the one-sided conversation. He faced Kit and spoke directly to him and ignored me.

I helped Kit with the dishes, then I asked to speak to him privately. "If that's okay with you," I told him, respecting he had a visitor.

"Dirk, Ricky and I are going to the bedroom to talk." Kit announced.

Dirk looked away from the TV and said, "Oh? Is that what they call it now, Kit? We used to call it fucking."

"Don't be so crude!" Kit's voice rose, "We're going to talk."

"Whatever," Dirk replied with a yawn, a fake one, and went back to watching TV.

"Pleasant, isn't he?" I snickered on the way to Kit's bedroom.

"A barrel of monkeys," Kit replied dryly and opened the bedroom door. "He's jealous. Don't mind him."

"I understand. I definitely was jealous when he was dating you." I pressed my lips to his and bent over. I slid one arm under his knees and the other cradled his neck as I lifted him. Kissing his sweet lips, I sat on the bed and put him in my lap.

"I missed you." I told him and left a soft kiss on his temple.

"I missed you too." He smiled shyly. "I wish we were alone. All alone."

"He's only here for a short time and I'm working tomorrow and Sunday, so it's just as well he's here." I sighed, wanting to take his clothing off and drive him to begging me to fuck him by pleasuring him with my tongue. I opted for gliding my hand up the back of his shirt for closer contact. His skin warmed my hand and when he took my face in his hands and gave me a sloppy, deep, hard kiss, I scratched my nails down his back. He arched into me and grunted, and I concluded I'd made marks. I knew why I'd done it. Not because of the way his lips moved unmercifully against mine, ruthlessly giving me pleasure, but because I needed to mark him. I wanted to make him mine now, but under the circumstances I couldn't. This would have to do. I'd pay to see Dirk's face when Kit walked around shirtless. The thought made a chuckle bubble up from my belly.

"Mmm," he hummed and met my eyes, "What's so funny?"

"Nothing." I caressed his cheek. "You're gorgeous."

"Thank you." Kit blushed, making me feel special. I know he heard it a million times being a model, but when it comes from me, he actually gets embarrassed. He's so damn cute that way.

"Did you have questions about me going out last night?"

He nodded.

"Well," I began and set him next to me. I took his hand and held it between my two. I told him how I met my coworker, that we had some things in common, and that we both had nowhere to go, so we went out to a bar and talked.

"Is he cute?"

"I don't look at other men like that. Not when I have you." I made a fist and gently cuffed his jaw, laughing. "I moved here for you, remember?"

"Yeah. What does he look like?" When he blinked, his eyes were trained elsewhere.

"Kit. Stop it. I'm not interested in him."

"Then why did you go out with him?"

I cupped his jaw and turned his head so he was facing me again. Meeting his eyes, I said, "I told you why. Plus, it's good to meet new people. I don't have friends like you do and it's good for me to socialize with men and women my age."

Kit gazed down at his hands, his lower lip disappearing between his teeth and reappearing. "Okay." He glanced at me and gave me a small smile.

"Shit, if Dirk weren't in the other room, you know I'd be plowing into you right now, don't you? I want you so much." I rubbed his leg, the material warming under the friction.

"Let's go out tomorrow after you're done with work. Dirk and I were going to meet with some of our model friends, but I'll tell him I'm not going. You and I can do something fun, then come back here and have even more fun!" The toothy grin that lit up his face made me wish it were tomorrow night right now. I kissed him again, and this time I eased him down to lie next to me. I snaked my hand down the back of his pants and moaned at the feel of his bare ass. No underwear. His leg rose and his knee wedged its way between my two legs, pressing against my balls. I rocked against him again and again, then stopped. I took a breath and eyed him. I was too old for this high school, rutting shit. Either we were going to have sex, or I was going to go home. It wasn't even a option that I leave here with sticky jeans. Not my style anymore.

Reading my face, Kit began undoing my jeans, but a knock on the door put a stop to that.

"Are you guys done talking, 'cause I have an idea."

Dirk, that cockblocking asshole. I wanted to wrap my fingers around his neck and squeeze.

Kit whispered, "Sorry. We'll save it for tomorrow."

"It's okay." I brushed back his hair. "I need to be going before I stuff his mouth full of socks."

"I've tried that, it doesn't shut him up, but alcohol does." Kit stood up and faced me. "Call me?"

"You bet." I said, fixing my jeans while we walked to the door. Kit opened it and Dirk, who must have had his ear to the door, fell in. I caught him and set him upright. "I'm heading out. Nice to see you again, Dirk."

"You too, Dick." Dirk laughed and put an arm around Kit.

At the door, I gave Kit a kiss goodbye. Just a quick one. "Bye," I told him while eyeing his face, knowing I was going to miss him as soon as he closed the apartment door.

"Bye." He smiled, giving me the once over. "Can't wait to see you again."