Through Thick and Thin

Nine:

“Never kiss a friend. If you have deeper feelings, never reveal them. You will lose that friend forever...”


I woke up the next morning with two arms wrapped around my waist and my mom laughing in the other room. “What the?” I grumbled, moving around so I could analyze who exactly it was holding me, typically a girl would be freaking out at having woken up with strange arms wrapped around her middle, but with my friends, it was more of, who snuck into the house this time? Whenever one of us were feeling down or needed to get away from our families, we'd escape to someone elses house, the question of whose arms were around me were more along the lines of are they male, or female, and what happened this time for them to end up at my house.

I turned around taking in the lines of the face of the boy behind me and laughed, remembering last night and how exactly this boy had gotten into my bed. I reached out, touching the lines of his face gently when my door opened up. “Quinn! Wake up Jimmy's her- Oh, well then, why didn't you tell me you had company over last night.” Mom giggled, winking at me; her pupils were huge, she was obviously still hyped up on whatever she had done last night.

“Mom!” I hissed, glaring at her. “It's not like that!”

“Sure it isn't sweet heart.” She winked again and turned around exiting my room, squeezing past Jimmy who was leaning in my door way with a huge grin on his face, which only widened as Zack's grip around me grew tighter.

“Quinn?” He whispered sleepily. “Ow, fuck.” He released my waist and rolled over onto his back. “Shit, think you could have been any fucking rougher last night?” He whined, squeezing his eyes tight.

“Well, I can always leave you love birds alone. . . Damn Quinn, never figured you to be a dominatrix.” Jimmy let out a low wolf whistle and grinned at me.

“Ugh!” I groaned, flushing bright red, slapping my hand to my face. Zack opened his eyes pushing himself up into a sitting position looking at Jimmy.

“What the fuck are you doing here?”

“I could be asking you the same thing Baker.” He wiggled his eyebrows at Zack and I, “But from the sounds of it Quinn wore you out pretty damn well last night.”

“James!” I glared grabbing a pillow and flinging it at his head, still flushed red with embarrassment. “It's NOT like that you asshole!”

“Quinn! Watch your language!” Mom called from the living room where she was doing something that involved making entirely too much noise for this early in the morning.

Jimmy snickered. “Yeah Quinn, watch your language. If it wasn't like that, then why is Zack in bed with you, shirtless, and complaining you were too rough.”

“Because you idiot.” I growled, throwing the blanket off of Zack and I and climbing out of bed, Jimmy seemed slightly disappointed to notice that I was completely clothed. “He scared the shit out of me and I assaulted him with a bat!”

Jimmy raised his eyebrows again, “Right and why was he here in the first place?”

“I... Have no idea, does it really matter Jimmy? You've snuck over in the middle of the night before.” I huffed, pushing past him as my mom yelled out from the living room. “Quinn! Phone!”

“Who is it?” I grumbled, taking the phone from my mother and putting it to my ear. “Hello?”

“SISSY!” I smiled, leaning against the wall as my brothers voice floated through the phone.

“Hey Jace, what's up bud?”

“Sissy…” He stressed, I could almost see him rolling his eyes. “It's my birthday! You're coming to the party right?”

I smacked myself in the forehead, I totally didn't forget my brothers birthday, I don't know what you're talking about. “Of course I am, I'm just hanging with Jimmy and Zack right now. I'll be over soon, you guys are at the house right?”

“Duh Sissy.” He giggled. “Mommy and Daddy got a bounce house! And one of those water slide houses! They're being set up now they're SOOOO COOL, are Zacky and Jimmy coming too? Ooooh and Laaaaaylaaaa, and Jadddey, and Briian Oh and Matty?!” Jace liked to add “e” sounds at the end of everyone's names, he often got frustrated because he couldn't do it to either Brian or Layla.

I laughed, shaking my head lightly. “I'll ask them, No promises though, Is dad there?”

“Yep! Wanna talk toooo him?”

“Yes please, Love you Jace.”

“Love you too, Quinny!” He giggled, and then yelled for Dad.

Dad answered the phone with a laugh. “Hello?”

“Hey Dad.” I sighed, into the phone watching as my mom moved around the house cleaning stuff up.

“What's up, you coming over today?”

“Just got up a little while ago, the guys are over. Dad, Jace wants them to come to his party, is it okay?”

Dad sighed, “You know Trisha doesn't like them too much.”

I rolled my eyes, and nodded. “I know Daddy, but he really wants them to come over, you know how much he loves the guys.” Oh, I was laying it on thick.

“You guys better behave and you should bring your bathing suits, You know that your brothers going to drag you guys into the waterslide thing.”

I raised my fist in the air in victory. “Yes sir! We'll be good, promise. I've got to call the girls, we'll be there later, Got to swing by the store and pick the little dude up something.”

“I'll let Trisha know, see you later Quinn.”

“Bye Dad, don't tell Jace the guys are coming, it'll be part of his present.”
He laughed lightly. “Yes Ma'am. Bye.”

“Bye.” I grinned, putting the phone back on the cradle. “Oh boooys, how do you feel about going to a seven year old’s birthday party?” I cooed as I re-entered my bedroom, Jimmy was now sprawled out on my bed while Zack was standing in front of my mirror, unwrapping his ribs. “There's bounce houses and one of those huge water slide things.” I added as an afterthought, laughing when Jimmy jumped off of the bed.

“Hells yeah!”

“Zack? Jace asked is Zacky was coming; don't break my brothers heart Baker.” I scolded, helping him when the bandages got stuck.

“I'm afraid if I say no, you'll attack me again.” He laughed pressing on the forming bruise of his ribs with a wince, his abdomen was definitely discolored.

“Damn straight!” I laughed poking the bruise gently.

He glared at me, moving away. “Nah, I'd love to go, your brothers pretty chill.”

“Dude, there's a BOUNCE HOUSE!” Jimmy grinned.

“Dad said we've got to behave because y'all know how the bitch is.” I rolled my eyes. “Also, bring your bathing suits!”

Zack laughed at the absolutely giddy smile Jimmy had on his face. “I'd have to go get some stuff from home, anyone else coming?” He asked, picking his shirt up from the end of my bed and pulling it over his head.

“I have to call them.” I shrugged. “I'm sure they'll wanna go though, I'll see if Bri can borrow his dad's SUV.”

Zack nodded, rubbing his hands over his face. “Right, well I better head home and get some shit, want me to come back here, or just call me and let me know?”

“Come back, it'll probably be easier.” I shrugged. “James, get your ass off my bed and go get your trunks and whatever so we can go. I've got to pick something up for Jace at the store anyway.”

“You totally forgot about your brother's birthday didn't you?” Jimmy asked with a laugh throwing a pillow at me.

“No! I just conveniently forgot to get him a present now GET! Hurry your asses back.” I wrapped my arms around both of them in a hug before the left and I began to dig through my room for clothes.

“Sooooo….” I looked up from where I was bent over digging through my dresser for my favorite bathing suit at my mom who was leaning against the wall, watching me.

“What mom?” I sighed, setting the bikini on my bed and moving to my closet to find my shorts and clothes to change into afterward.

“So when'd Zack sneak over, you know dear if you want boys in your room you don't have to hide it!”
She seemed absolutely giddy over the fact I had snuck a boy into my room, and she'd probably be absolutely devastated to know nothing happened between Zack and I.

“He came over around one Ma, NOTHING Happened between the two of us, he locked himself out of his house last night and didn't want to wake his mom up, he knew I was awake so he came over. It's no big deal. He'd hurt himself at the park earlier, I didn't want to make him sleep on the couch.” I shrugged, tossing a pair of black jeans; which had been cut to shorts, onto my bed followed by an overly large misfits shirt with the sleeves cut off.

“Oh.” She sighed. “Well, whatever. Like I said, you don't have to sneak boys in dear, let me know!”

I rolled my eyes. “Yes mom, because if I were doing anything with said boys I'd want you to know about it.” I muttered, as I moved back to my dresser to toss clean underwear sleeper pants and a long sleeved shirt onto the bed.

“What was that?” Mom asked, eying my pile of clothing oddly.

“Nothing, I said Ok Mom. Can you get out now so I can get dressed please?”

“Yep!” She grinned and bounced out of my room, I eyed her oddly; shaking my head and closed the door behind her and changed into my blue and purple Bikini, making sure it wouldn't budge, before shimming into the shorts and pulling the misfits shirt over my head.

It took me about 10 minutes to fully get ready, my spare clothes and a towel were shoved into an old school bag, along with my brush and my wallet, I moved to the living room to call the rest of the gang, who all readily agreed to tag along, Brian even managed to convince his dad to let him borrow the SUV, he'd swing by and pick up Matt and Layla before he'd be here. I was just pulling on my converse when there was a knock on my bedroom door.

“Quinn, the boys are here.”

“Be out in a second Ma!” I called, shoving my foot into my shoe and running my fingers through my hair as I shouldered the book bag and exited my bedroom. Zack was sitting on the couch where as

Jimmy was standing in front of the T.V mindlessly flipping the channels as my mom moved around in the kitchen.

“The others coming?” Jimmy asked as he settled on some random Nickelodeon cartoons.

“Yep, Bri even got the SUV, so he's picking everyone up, he'll be here in a bit.” I set the bag down at Zack's feet and sat beside him. “I didn't call the twins though, cause Val had said they had shit to do today or whatever.” I shrugged my shoulders. “How are your ribs Baker?”

Zack shrugged. “Sore, but I'll be fine.”

I nodded, and Jimmy sat down on my other side, the three of us watched stupid cartoons laughing randomly while we waited for Brian. Layla had been the one to come to the door to get us and we waved to my mom before heading down to the car. Layla climbed into the third seat with Matt while Jimmy, Zack and I got into the second row. “Briiii, we need to stop at target or something!” I mumbled, resting my chin on his seat.

He let out a laugh. “You forgot your brother's birthday didn't you?”

I glared at him, and plopped back in my seat with a huff, Jimmy was laughing from beside me. “I did NOT forget his birthday dammit!”

“Sure you didn't.” Matt teased, ruffling my hair.

“If you'd like to keep your fingers Sanders, I'd leave my hair alone if I were you.” I grumbled glaring at his hands, snapping my teeth at him playfully.

“Shesh, you sure seem to like biting.” Zack laughed, and I grinned winking at him.

“Wouldn't you like to know?”

He raised an eyebrow at me, a slight smirk pulling at his lips which caused me to flush and turn away from him slightly.

“Do we really have to behave?” Jade whined from the front seat, turning around to look at me.

I sighed but nodded my head. “Yeah, or Bitchrisha will kick us out, and Jace really wanted us all there, you know he adores you guys. She hates that.” I grinned lightly.

“I'm just going for the bounce house!” Jimmy declared, Layla reached over the seat to High five him.

“And cake!” She added, with a huge grin.
I shook my head laughing. “How dare you use my little brother!”

“Oh puh-lease, You know I love that little shit.” Layla huffed, rolling her eyes. “He's like the coolest seven year old I know.”

“How many seven year olds do you know Layla?” Matt asked with a laugh as Brian pulled into Target.

Layla rolled her eyes and shoved at Matt. “Shut up, I don't know, a few and they're all whiny little snot nosed brats! Now get the fuck out of the car!”

The seven of us climbed out of the car and I grabbed a carriage from the holder, laughing when Jade jumped on to the front of it, clinging on for her life as I pushed it into the store. People were staring at our group with wide eyes, but we paid them no attention making a bee-line for the toys.
Layla and Jade helped me find something for Jace while the boys decided it'd just be fun to chase each other around the isles with toy laser guns.

“Hey Quinn, We're gonna check the clothes see if there isn't any more skull things we can corrupt your little brother with!” Jade grinned, standing beside Layla.

“Okay, Have fun.” I laughed, shaking my head as I looked through the various toy cars, when someone came up behind me, pressing themselves against my back, a toy laser was pressed against my side, while the persons other hand rested on my hip.

“Keep still, and nobody gets hurt.” The boy whispered against my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

“Hmm, somehow I think if I were to move, you'd be the one to get hurt Baker.” I smirked, pressing my elbow against his ribs, as I moved backwards closer to his body, he inhaled sharply; likely afraid that I was going to add pressure and hurt him.

“Hey Quinn what about thi- Oh, well… seriously again? If you two want to be alone, will you just say so already?!” Zack and I broke apart looking over at Jimmy who was holding a super soaker in his hand, eyebrows raised.

“Sure Jim, whatever.” I mumbled, tossing a Tonka truck set into the cart.

“Why would they want to be alone?” Matt asked, coming up the aisle with Brian both holding gifts, Matt's a basketball; Jace always wanted to play with Matt whenever we were at the park, while Brian's gift was a box of jumbo building blocks; I think he was more excited to build things with them then Jace was going to be.

“You know you guys don't have to get him anything right?” I questioned, getting the subject off of Zack and I.

“So?” Brian shrugged, putting the blocks into the cart. “We want to, shut up and let us. It's not like we're getting him anything that Bitchrisha is going to flip out over, I mean… We could always go and get that little drum set we saw Jim.” Brian smirked and I laughed shaking my head smacking his arm.

“No! You guys won't have to hear the endless bitching over it, I will.”

“Calm down Quinn, they're not gonna get it.” Zack laughed as he set the set of toy lasers into the cart.

“Not gonna get what?” Layla asked coming back with a deep purple shirt with a skull on the front of it in her hand.

“Jace a mini drumkit.” Jimmy pouted, setting the super soaker into the cart.

“Like you guys even have enough money for one of those things, they're expensive as hell!” Jade declared tossing a black zip-up hoodie into the cart that matched the shirt Layla had picked up.

“So? Can you imagine the look on Bitchrisha's face if we did get him one?” Brian asked with a grin, throwing his arms over Jade and Layla's shoulders as I took hold of the cart pushing it towards the cards and gift bag section.

Jade paused, a black gift bag in hand as she thought it over. “Okay, so her reaction would be worth being completely broke over.” The red head nodded her head and tossed several of the gift bags and some tissue paper into the cart, before I grabbed a card suitable for Jace from all of us and we went to the checkout, the cashier looked incredibly annoyed at the fact we were paying for everything separately.

Once at the car we all shoved our gifts into bags and hid them with tissue paper and wrote who was from what on each of the little cards before we shoved all the bags in the back seat, and scrawled our names across the card.

By the time we arrived at my dad's house there were cars parked along either side of the street and the squeals and laughter of little kids could be heard as they ran around like lunatics.

“Small people.” Layla mumbled, getting out of the car and opening the hatch back to grab gift bags.

“Dude, bounce house and cake. Just focus on that!” Jimmy exclaimed as he grabbed the bag containing the squirt guns he'd bought.

“And the slip and slide, mountain thing.” Brian said, pointing at said thing he was attempting to properly name.

“Those things are awesome!” Jade threw her hands in the air before grabbing the bag that held the clothing in it.

“Why do I feel like the death march should be playing?” I sighed, shouldering my book bag and grabbing a gift bag as everyone else grabbed the rest of their things.

“Because, anything that your step mother is involved in can be equal too torture?” Matt asked, placing a hand on my shoulder with a wide grin.

I growled; much to everyone's amusement. “I hate that wo-“

“-Quinn Leigh!”

-man.” I finished, after said woman cut me off.

“How nice of you and your… friends to finally show up!” She was wearing all pink, no doubt she had my baby sister dressed similarly too her. “The gifts can go on the table next to the cake, your father is on the back patio with Alyssa, and Jason is probably in the bounce house.”

I nodded, resisting the urge to flick the woman off as she walked away to go and talk to some of the parents, who were eying us oddly.

“I really hate that woman.” I grumbled, setting down the gift bag where I was instructed too.

“I think we all do.” Layla sighed, running her fingers through her hair as she pulled it up off of her neck and face into a pony tail.

I smiled softly at her as everyone set their things down, before the loud excited shriek of my brother broke through the laughter and music around us.

“QUINNY!” However, when the little boy came running out of the bounce house he flung himself straight into Zack's arms, who barely had time to catch the little boy and staggered as Jace's knee went straight towards his bruised ribs. I winced.

“Jason Bryant!” I scolded, my voice stern causing him to look up at me wide-eyed, arms clung around Zack's neck.

“Sissy?”

“You need to be careful Jace!” I sighed, stepping up to him and Zack, placing my hand gently on Zack's shoulder. “You okay?” I asked him softly.

“Yeah, fine.” He forced a smile, and looked down at Jace. “Hey little man! Happy Birthday!”

“Thank you Zacky! I didn't hurt you did I? I'm sorry.” The little boy frowned, and held his arms out to me, Zack handed him over and I sighed resting the little boy against my injured hip without thinking and hissing lightly, but let him stay there.

“Jace, bub. Zacky got hurt at practice the other day, and you jumping on his could have made it worse. Sissy got hurt too. So be more careful next time. We're not mad at you, just you need to be more careful okay?”

He hid his face in my neck and nodded his head. “Okay sissy…”

I smiled and kissed his forehead. “Thank you, Happy Birthday buddy. I love you!”

“Love you too! Can I get down now, I wanna bounnceeee.”

I laughed setting him down, he went to hug the rest of my friends and when he left he was dragging Jimmy and Layla along with him to the bounce house.

“You sure you're okay?” I asked Zack again, pressing my hand gently to where I knew the bruise was forming.

“Fine.” He smiled at me. “You? I saw you wince.”

“Fine.” I grinned back up at him.

“Hey Mr. O'Conner!” Brian called cheerfully to my dad as he approached with Alyssa on his hip.

“Hello Brian.” Dad chuckled, “Glad you guys could come, Jace really loves seeing you, you guys can eat whatever, and even though the bounce house isn't supposed to be for older kids.” He glanced over seeing Jimmy and Layla bouncing around with Jace holding onto either of their hands laughing his head off as they helped him bounce higher. “You can go on, Actually Quinn, will you take your sister in there?”

I nodded my head with a sigh, holding my arms out for the little girl and setting her on my hip, wincing as she dug her foot into my side. “Yeah in a little bit when Jimmy and Layla come to stuff their faces. You wanna bounce Lyss?” I questioned, bouncing the little girl up and down as our Dad went to join Patrisha with the rest of the parents. She just blinked up at me with her huge blue eyes and pressed her hand to my cheek. “Ya!”

“You guys are welcome to eat whatever, and Quinn you can put your bags in your room, so the kids don't get them wet.”

I nodded once again. “Yeah dad, thanks.”

“I got it Quinn.” Brian smiled, making a stupid face at Alyssa who whined and hid her face from him.

“ `way!” She wailed, causing Matt to laugh.

“She doesn't like ya Haner.”

“She doesn't like very many people.” I rolled my eyes, watching as Jade moved so she was sitting at a table under the canopy tent with a plate of food and her head propped up in her hand covering her mouth as she yawned. “Lyss, can you say Hi to Matty?” I questioned, Lyssa shook her head wildly back and forth `No' whipping me in the face with her big tails as she did so.

“Please Lyssy? What about Zacky?” I turned her towards the green-eyed guitarist. Lyssa held out her hand opening and closing it somewhat. “Hi!”

Matt laughed. “Well, apparently kids love ya man.” He patted his hand onto Zack's shoulder. “Good luck with that.”

Zack stared after his friend with an odd expression on his face as Matt went to fill his plate with food.

“What the Hell…o, is he getting at?” He fixed what he wasgoing to say due to the one and a half year old on my hip, who was currently tugging on my hair.

“I don't know.” I grimaced, trying to dislodge Alyssa fist from my hair. “That you'll be a great dad when that day comes? Alyssa Rae let go of my hair!”

Lyssa stopped her tugging and stared up at me with her eyed wide, tears welling up behind them, causing me to sigh and bounce her lightly. “Sorry Lyssy, you were hurting Sissy, playing with Sissy's hair isn't nice okay?”

Lyssa nodded her head slightly, and messed with my necklace instead. I rolled my eyes, and walked towards the food tables. “Help yourself Zack, Bri. Food!” I hollered once he'd exited the house.
Layla and Jimmy both tumbled out of the bounce house laughing idiotically as they made their way towards the food tables, I got myself a burger, and went to sit down with my friends, my sister perched on my lap as I ate.

“ `ounce `issy, `ounce!” She wailed, tugging hard on the chain of my necklace, I have to give her credit; she at least let me finish my burger first.

“Ounce?” Jade asked, eying the toddler oddly as I grabbed a hold of the chain she was tugging on.

“Lyssa, no tugging. Hold on okay?”

She huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. “ `ounce!”

“She means bounce, and if I don't take her into the bounce house, she's gonna throw a fit. Have fun guys.” I gave a lopsided smile and got up from my chair taking my little sister into the bounce house after I discarded both of our shoes outside on the mat.

Jace was still inside and grinned happily upon seeing us and grabbed my free arm so he could bounce with Alyssa and I.

I had to pause and kneel in the bounce house, holding onto one of Alyssa hands, while Jace held the other. “Jace, be careful, bounce slowly help Lyssa.”

He nodded, bouncing up and down carefully giggling as Alyssa squealed happily moving her little legs up and down with the biggest of grins on her face. We were only disrupted when Patrisha called saying it was time for cake.

Jace immediately let go of Alyssa's hand and hauled but out of the bounce house with his little friends causing the infant to fall on her butt and look up at me with wide watery eyes.

I groaned and grabbed both of her hands. “Shh Lyssy look.” I moved so she was bouncing some. “Bounce Bounce!”

She giggled, “ `ounce!”

“Yeah, you hungry Lyss? Cake?”

Her blue eyes went huge. “YA!”

I laughed and picked her up, carefully sliding out of the bounce house to join the crowd around one of the tables as dad brought out the cake with the candles already lit.
Matt grinned and started the singing much to Jace's delight; he always liked Matt's singing voice. “It's better than the screamin' he does Sissy!” He'd comment enthusiastically every time he heard Matt, belt out a note.

Jace blew out the candle, and we all got a slice of cake. Alyssa whined to be handed off to her mother which I did gladly.

“Where are her shoes Quinn Leigh?” Patrisha asked, settling Alyssa on her hip.

“By the bounce house.” I shrugged, walking away from my step mother to re-join the table my friends were sitting at, which also happened to be where Jace was perched.

“Oy! Runt, you're in my seat!” I laughed, coming up behind him and tickling his sides. He squirmed and screeched as I picked him up, setting my plate down on the table and putting him on my lap.

“Sissy! You're weird!”

I gasped, frowning at him. “Nu-uh! If I'm so weird, than what does that make them?!” I gestured to my friends, watching as my little brother looked at the group.

“Awesome.” He shrugged his little shoulders and went back to eating his cake.

I just gaped at Jace while my friend bust out into laughter. “High Five!” Brian declared holding his hand up, which Jace gladly did.

“My brother thinks I'm weird… yet y'all are awesome. NOT.COOL.” I pouted.

“Deal with it, we're awesome and you're not.” Jade grinned, licking a bit of frosting off of her finger.

“I think I'm hurt.” I frowned, stabbing my cake with my fork.

“Sissy!” Jace giggled, “Don't be sad! You can be awesome too!”

I sniffled, turning my head away from him. “No! I don't wanna be awesome if it's just cause I'm sad!”
Layla was laughing so hard her face was turning red.

“Awe, but Sissy I loooooveee yooou! You're better than awesome!” He flung his arms around my neck holding me tightly.

“What's better than awesome?” I questioned with another mock sniffle.

“YOU! DUH!”

“Yeah Sissy.” Zack smirked, “Duh.”

I glared at Zack, who stood up with a grin. “Awee Quinn, don't be so mean. You're better than awesome! People better than awesome don't get mad!” He wrapped Jace and I in a hug, Jace was giggling manically and squirming away from my body.

“Ahh Jace, hold still you're gonna fall-ahhh Baker!” I glared at Zack, as he stepped away licking the blue frosting left over on his hand from what he'd just smudged on my face.

“YOU'RE GOING DOWN!” I declared, picking up my plate as Jace went to go sit with Jade.

“Nooo!” The guitarist laughed running away from me, much to everyone's amusement.

“GET HIM!” Jace cried happily cheering with Jade.

All the little kids were giggling loudly and cheering, laughing hysterically as I smushed my entire plate into Zack's face, walking away triumphantly only to scream when he picked me up and threw me into the small pool at the base of the waterslide.

“Quinn!” Dad laughed, standing next to a grinning Zack who was wiping frosting off of his face with a small towel as I climbed out of the pool. “Get over here, presents!”

“Coming dad!” I watched him walk away shaking his head, as I grinned evilly at Zack. “Oh Zackkkkyy.” I cooed, watching as his eyes went wide.

“Quinn, No… whatever you're plotting just No!”

“All I want is a hug!” I frowned, pausing and pouting.

He shook his head. “You're soaked! Not happening.”

“Fine.” I huffed, walking past him towards the presents, He followed standing beside me as we watched Jace rip open gifts. Zack didn't even let out a word of protest as I pressed my body up against his long enough to let my wet clothes seep through his dry ones and stepped away with a satisfied smirk on my face.

Jace loved all his presents and thanked everyone enthusiastically, begging our Dad to open the super soakers right away.

We spent the rest of the day running around with the little kids, chasing each other with water guns and bouncing in the bounce house, and playing on the waterslide.

Currently we were playing hide-and-seek, and Jimmy was helping Jace seeing as they were “it”.

Layla snuck past going to hide behind the bounce house. Brian was IN the bounce house. Matt was crouched under a table in the tent with a few of Jace's friends. Jade was hiding on the porch, and I was pressed against the side of the house, peeking around the edge for any signs of my little brother or the insane giant I called my best friend.

I gasped, when I felt cold wet hands on my bare middle. My clothes had been discarded long ago, and I was only in my bikini. I turned around, expecting it to be Jimmy only to see Zack standing beside me. He pressed his finger over his lips, hushing me and nodding his head towards the other part of the house where I could hear Jace giggling.

Silently we moved along the side of the house till we were out of the possible line of sight.
Our bodies were pressed against one another as we hid in the small corner, Zack leaning around me to check if the coast was clear. My face was hidden against his chest as he did this. “I think we're safe.” He whispered, looking down at me with a crooked grin.

“Surprised they haven't found anyone yet.” I whispered back, looking up at him with a smile.
I found myself staring at his lips as he spoke, and frowned slightly, when did I start finding his lips so… entrancing?

“Quinn?” I shook my head, looking away from his lips.

“Yeah?”

His brow was crinkled in confusion, “You okay?”

“Yep.” I smiled, slightly nodding my head.

“Good.” He whispered again, leaning forward. My breath hitched, as he closed his eyes, and somehow I found myself wrapping my arms around his neck as he moved closer, my eyes sliding shut as out lips were mere inches away from one another.

“FOUND YA!” Jimmy declared happily. “Jace I foun- Oh man, REALLY?!”

“Oh for the love of God.” I growled, as Zack and I jumped away from one another, both flushed with embarrassment.

“You have the worst timing of life.” Zack grumbled, stepping away from me and out into the open, smiling down at Jace as he was tagged.

“You're it Zacky!”

“Okay, what do I have to count too?” Zack asked, walking away with Jace as I pressed my head against the side of the house exhaling deeply. Did that seriously just happen?

“Three times in one day? Must be some kind of record.” Jimmy crooned, and I snapped my head up glaring at him.

“James. Shut it.”

“Whatever dude.” He shrugged his shoulders and went to find a hiding spot as Zack began counting, I watched him for a moment, as he called out each number… Did I seriously find him attractive? Was I seriously about to kiss one of my best friends? There had to be a rule or something against that… he didn't like me, it was just cause we're both scantily clad, and were so close to one another, yeah that's it…

It was as I rushed off to hide somewhere; looking over my shoulder briefly as Zack called out. “Ready or not! Here I come!”,

That I couldn't help but wonder… what his lips would have felt like?