I'm Just Fine

Friends that Comfort

Flynn watched as the clocked counted down the seconds. His finger bounced as if it was on a trampoline while Scorch weaved against his ankles and Rico tried to sooth him. Trinity rolled her eyes at him with crossed arms; she was not impressed with him. He knew this presentation like the back of his hand and yet he was on the verge of vomiting all over his fellow students. Couldn't they just start already?
"Flynn, you need to calm down." Tyr placed a hand on his shoulder. Flynn's eyes flicked up to his and saw that Tyr's were laced with concern.
"I don't do public speaking well. The longer I wait, the more anxious I am." Flynn replied honestly before taking a sip of his water.
"Okay, let's begin." Their teacher smiled. "Today we have Flynn and Tyr teaching us about Schizophrenia. Men." He handed over everyone's attention to them.
Flynn took in a deep breath and started, "Today we will be talking to you about the generalities of the mental condition known as Schizophrenia and three people that you may or may not know who have had it. The three are: Dr. John Nash, Mrs. Mary Todd Lincoln, and Syd Barrette..." For a half an hour the two young men spoke about the condition and how it can vary from person to person. When the class finally ended, Flynn was more relieved than he should have been. He packed up his things and tried not to bolt from the class. He didn't even say bye to Tyr instead zoned everyone out and kept walking until he hit the men's room. He stood at the sink and took deep calming breaths. Finally he leaned on his elbows and ran his fingers through his long hair.
"You okay?" Flynn looked up to see Tyr standing behind him.
"Great. Just great." He replied sarcastically.
"I never knew your fear of public speaking escalated to these proportions. Didn't you have to do them in your high school?"
"On occasion and I sometimes pulled a Mia."
"Mia?"
"Mia Thermopolis from the Princess Diaries? She tended to stutter until she had to run off to barf."
"You watched Princess Diaries?" Tyr chuckled amused.
Flynn scowled at his friend through the mirror, "I have two younger sisters and three female friends, of course I've seen the Princess Diaries. You've probably had girlfriends who've made you watch them."
"Watched wouldn't be the correct word I'd use."
Flynn rolled his eyes as a tightness formed in his chest, "Of course, more like background noise." Then an evil smiled formed on his face. "Oh wait until I tell Malia, she will flip."
"Don't you dare!" Tyr glared, "I have gone nineteen years without actually seeing it and I will keep up that trend."
"That's what you think." Flynn finally straightened up and turned. "It's a travesty really that should be corrected soon."
"I'll kill you Flynn."
Flynn brought his phone to his ear, "Hey Malia, guess who has never seen Princess Diaries... Yep, a depressing thought don't you think?"
"Flynn!" Tyr growled.
"Trina would know, but I think we could drag him... Mine or yours?... The way he's glaring daggers let's make it mine... Okay, see you for lunch... love you too, bye." Flynn smiled innocently, "Make no plans this weekend." He patted Tyr's cheek as he walked by. "Don't try to get out of it or you'll make Malia cry."
"Why did you have to bring Malia into this? No one can say no to her, she's like the picture of innocence and all that is right in the world. If you make her cry it's like the greatest sin you can commit and that's including murder." Tyr whined.
"Unless your her dick of a boyfriend." Flynn muttered before replying louder, "Because you should see the movie at least once. It's a classic of our age. Now suck it up and be a man about it or something."
"Wow so convincing Flynn." Tyr rolled his eyes. "So why is she with Dick Mcgee?"
Flynn shrugged, "Cuz for some reason she likes him. We still haven't figured it out."
"Have you talked to her about him?"
"Yeah, but she won't listen." Flynn sighed. Tyr patted Flynn on the shoulder as they headed to lunch with their friends.

Due to unforeseen circumstances like basketball games and people catching the stomach bug (everyone got it at one point), it took two weeks to finally see the movie. Unfortunately everyone watched it to make one of the girls happy and not because it was a sin that Tyr hadn't seen it. It was a regular Friday night. Nymph managed to convince Flynn to go to a party since his last one wasn't a great experience, and they along with Clark and Marty were running a little late. The first thing the group saw upon arrival was Malia sobbing. The moment she saw Flynn she trotted over and collided with his chest.
"Please take me home." She cried into his chest.
Confused, FLynn wrapped his arms around her. "No problem hon." Normally he would have been rejoicing for having any reason not to go to a party, but since one of his friends was crying he wasn't feeling his usual happiness.
"Mal, what happened?" Marty asked as he rubbed her back. He hated when his friends cried, it made him really uncomfortable.
"I don't want to talk about it." Was her watery reply.
Marty frowned before asking, "Where's your boy?" Her sobbing intensified giving Marty enough of an answer, "That fucking douche bag." He growled. "Ima kill him." Before anyone could do anything, Marty was off and disappeared into the frat house.
"Shit." Flynn groaned. "Clark, start taking Malia to her room. Nymph, with me." Clark nodded and Malia soon attached herself like a barnacle to him while Flynn and Nymph started running. If they wasted any more time Malia's dick of a boyfriend would most likely be sent to the hospital... or dead.
Tyr was flirting with a really attractive girl that he was hoping to possibly bang when he noticed Flynn and Nymph run by. He excused himself from the conversation as he followed to see what the emergency was. It was soon made clear by the sound of glass smashing and shouting. He stood back in shock as Flynn ripped Marty off of Malia boyfriend (Tyr couldn't remember his name) and Nymph helped keep Marty at bay. Malia's boyfriend (well ex now Tyr supposed) was bleeding profusely from his nose and there was trickling down the side of his mouth and forehead. Bruising were beginning to form around on eye.
"What the fuck man?" Malia's boy shouted as he wiped the side of his mouth.
"You fucking douche canoe! I knew I shoulda done something when you two started dated. What the fuck is your problem!" Marty was seeing red. "I'd rip you apart right now if it wasn't for these two."
"Please, you wouldn't. You're all talk."
"Try me." Marty growled.
"Marty come on, let's go. He's not worth it." Nymph tried to put an end to Marty rage before he went off the deep end again.
"Ever, go near Malia again and I'll fucking kill you! And trust me, they won't find a body." He shoved Flynn off and started stalking towards the door.
Flynn followed after Marty to make sure he didn't change his mind while Nymph walked over to the fallen man. She offered her hand and as he stood she pulled him close and whispered, "Go near her and Marty won't have a chance at you. There won't be a place you could hide where I won't find you." Then she stepped away with a smile. "Have fun trying to stop that bleeding with all the alcohol in your system." Then her eyes went to the girl that was 'the other.' "I'm not impressed." Then she turned to leave.
The girl got angry and yelled, "Whatever... whore!"
Nymph turned with a chuckled, "Darling I may be a whore to you but there is no way I'd ever consider have sex with you. I have better standards than," Her eyes swept over the unfortunate girl, "That." Nymph gestured to all of her. "Niiiight." She disappeared into the crowd and found Flynn and Tyr talking while Marty was pacing. "Hello Tyr. Did you know about that?"
"No." Tyr shook his head. "I was in the hallway. I only knew something was happening when I saw you two basically running through the house."
"Good answer." Nymph brought her attention to Flynn. "We should go check on her."
"I know but I don't think all of us should. You know how she gets. Why don't you go relieve Clark of his duties and Marty and I will be there in a little while?"
"Okay." She smiled. "Bye Tyr." She waved and took one step before Flynn stopped her.
"Nymph." She turned to see Flynn's hand out waiting.
"What?"
"You know exactly what I want." She sighed dramatically as she fished out a wallet and a pack of cigarettes. "All of it." She scowled and then forked over forty dollars, a swipe card, keys, and a baggie of weed.
"That's it." She pouted.
"Good, now go see how Malia's doing." Nymph nodded and headed out. "Can you stealthily give all this back to dickwad?"
"No problem." Tyr looked at the minor treasures. "How the hell did she manage all this without him knowing?"
"Years of practice. I'll see you later Tyr." Flynn gave a tired smile.
"Tell Malia I said hi."
"I will." Flynn turned to Marty. "Come on, we have some shopping to do." By the time the two young men got what they needed it was around 1 in the morning. They placed the four bags of labeled fruits in refrigerator and then headed upstairs.
"I'm not good at this, you do it." Marty whispered as they got closer to Malia's room.
Flynn rolled his eyes. "No, this has to be you. By now she probably knows you beat the crap out of him and she'll be kind of mad. You have to make her feel better. All you have to do is give her these and let her cuddle with you. Possibly even watch a movie if she's up to it. Just go with the flow."
"I'm not that kind of guy Flynn, that's you. You're the gay best friend, not me."
"Just go." Flynn pushed Marty while shaking his head.
Marty growled at him before knocking on the door. "Malia, it's me. May I come in?" It was silent a moment before he was granted access. Flynn walked in right behind him so he could stay long enough to make sure she was okay and to pick up Nymph. The roommates left to Malia munching on celery cover in peanut butter and Marty sitting next to her.
When Nymph and Flynn were at their house they both collapsed on the couch. "That was rough." Nymph commented as she laid her head on his shoulder. "I knew he was going to do something stupid."
"We all did except her. I just hope she doesn't relapse."
"Me too, she's happy here and if she has to go back..." Nymph shook her head. "I told Lydia that Marty wouldn't be seeing her tonight and called Trina. She was pissed but I could hear the smile in her voice when I told her Marty beat the dude up."
"I bet she was and probably slightly jealous she wasn't able to."
"Oh yes." She chuckled.
"Where'd Clark go?"
"I sent him home after I got there. I told him we could meet up later."
"You've been hanging out with him a lot lately. You don't usually fuck someone more than once."
"He's my fuck buddy, of course I see him more than once."
"Love, you hang out with him even if it doesn't include a round of sexy time. Wanna talk about it?"
"No." She scowled. "We aren't anything more."
"Do you want to be?"
"Do you want to be?" She shot back.
"You already know the answer to that. Don't try to evade the question, it won't work."
Nymph sighed, "I don't know. Can we not talk about it?"
"Fine." Flynn yawned. "I'm gunna go to bed. I'll see you in the morning." He kissed the top of her head and headed to his room.
The next day everyone piled into Malia room. "What would you like to do today?" Nymph asked as she licked her spoon of all its chocolate.
Malia looked down as she played with her celery. "Can we watch Princess Diaries?"
"Sure... This Is Perfect!" Nymph suddenly yelled, startling everyone. "Malia, may we invite one more person to this shindig?"
With wide eyes, Malia replied, "Sure?"
"Excellent." Nymph whipped out her phone and dialed a number. "Get here now or I will disown you!... Malia's duh... Good, see you soon." She snapped her cell shut and smiled.
"Who did you just call?"
"That loser of a friend that has Never Seen Princess Diaries. How is he our friend?"
"So, Tyr's coming?"
"Yes, now let's all get our comfy seats before he arrives." Nymph grinned and dived to sit in between Malia and Marty.
When Tyr arrived everyone was situated comfortably. "Any room for me?" He laughed as he kicked off his shoes.
"Should have been faster." Nymph smiled as he took the seat she specifically made sure was open. Flynn glared at her as Tyr sat next to him. Too close for his liking... sure he'll go with that.
"So, Princess Diaries?" Tyr angled his face to look down at Flynn.
Flynn tried not to think about how close his friend was as he replied, "Princess Diaries. Enjoy..." The two young men were hushed as the opening credits started.
♠ ♠ ♠
Clearly I couldn't remember Malia's boyfriend's name... oops.

How are you liking it so far?