I'm Just Fine

A Friend's Day at Therapy

Flynn walked out of the hospital with a diagnosis of a mild concussion, some lesions, and a body full of bruises. Nothing serious just annoying really. He carefully ran his fingers through his snarled hair and sighed. He still had an appointment with his psychologist and was probably going to be late. He waited patiently for Nymph to pick him up and within fifteen minutes he was outside the place he once called 'home.' He waved to Nymph before walking into Bernard's, receiving surprised glances as he walked the halls. When he finally came to his doctor's door, he knocked and waited for a reply.
"Come in." Dr. Albert called from behind the door. Flynn entered to find the older doctor reading a book. When he looked up, Dr. Albert stood with a start. "Hello, Flynn."
"Hey Doc." Flynn nodded at his doctor before taking a seat. "How are you?"
"Clearly better than you. What happened? Is this why you're late for our session?"
Flynn shrugged, "I went to the hospital to make sure I was okay. I have a mild concussion, some cuts, and bruising. Nothing too serious thankfully."
"What happened?" The doctor sat back with his pen and pencil.
Flynn's eyes dropped, "I got into a fight with Mal's ex."
"Why?"
"It's not because my 'hallucinations' told me to." His hazels eyes looked up with a small scowl. His doctor still wasn't happy with him for being off his medication but really could not stop him from refusing medication treatment. "Rico's actually still mad at me for losing my temper on the guy." He watched as Dr. Albert shifted a little. Flynn couldn't help but smirk at making the man squirm. It entertained him on occasion. "Did Mal tell you the story?"
"You know I can't say, Flynn."
"Worth asking." Flynn shrugged. "Well here's what happened. I was waiting for the girls to come outside and he comes out of nowhere and punches me. He starts yelling at me for getting him put on probation and called Nymph an inappropriate name."
"Is that when you fought him?"
"No. I told him he shouldn't call her names but he kept trying to fight me. Then Mal came out to break us up and he ended up decking her. That's when I lost it and fought him."
"Why did you lose your temper?"
"Because he hurt Mal."
"He called Nymphadora something inappropriate and you did not lose your temper."
"That was verbal, he physically hurt Mal."
"Verbal can be just as bad as physical."
"I know, but Nymph wasn't there and he knows better than to talk about my friends like he does."
"How so?"
"He is aware that besides Mal, none of us like him. He isn't protected by her anymore."
"Fighting doesn't solve anything Flynn."
"Then why do countries fight?" Flynn shot. He normally wasn't a supporter of fighting, he does believe there are better way to solve problems. However, Flynn knew that in order for Mal's ex to learn never to mess with them it would have to be physical. Previous failed attempts proved it. "Mal's ex wouldn't have stopped until he was beaten."
"Then why go after you? Marty was the one who attacked him last time."
"Because when have I ever fought someone? He knew he couldn't beat Marty, so he went after me. I know how people view me doc, I'm an easy target. Normally I'm okay with that and I will defend myself without hurting someone. But he needs to be put in his place before he will relent. He's like a bully, once you stand up to him he'll leave you alone."
"What of the girls? Will they have to show their 'dominance' over him? This could get out of hand with the logic you've just used."
Flynn shook his head, "No, they should be safe. He's been warned twice not to touch our girls and if he does he'll have to deal with us."
"More fighting?"
"Maybe from Marty but I have no problem getting the police involved. I have witnesses and people like me therefore I will have support."
"How does Malia feel about all this?"
Flynn deflated a little, "She's been upset about the breakup and she was quite angry with Marty when he tried to fight. I don't know how she's feeling about me. After I was pulled off him I told her sorry and went to cool off. I ended up at the park where Tyr and his friend Charlie found me. I spend the rest of the day and night with them. Then this morning I went to the hospital and then came here. I'm going to visit her tomorrow."
"How do you think she'll react?"
"She'll probably be a mix between pissed at me for getting into a fight and happy I'm okay. To a degree she'll understand why I did it."
"Why did you do it?"
"Because I protect me and mine." Flynn finally looked back at the doctor, his eyes smoldering. "No one messes with my family. Try to hurt them and I'll pay them back four fold."
"Is that a good mentality to have?"
"Why shouldn't I?"
"Are you inhibiting them by being so protective of them?"
"I don't coddle them often and I've only been in a physical fight twice because someone hurt them. You tell me if my actions are inhibiting their growth."
"Just be careful Flynn. Your mentality could get out of hand."
"Especially if my hallucinations become delusions?" The doctor's silence was answer enough. "We may be different than everyone else but we aren't children. They would let me know if what I'm doing is bothering them and they'd make me take the meds if they thought I was delusional. They've seen it." He muttered the last part.
"What?" Dr. Albert asked startled.
Flynn rolled his eyes, "I was drunk. The alcohols messes with my senses like it does with everyone else but unlike Tyr or Charlie or even Nymph, I happen to start having auditory hallucinations. They go away when I sober up. Don't look at me like I'm crazier than I am. At the end of the day it's always just Rico, Scorch, and Trinity. Nothing else."
"Flynn-"
"Don't. Until mom found my bottle of unopened pills you didn't know I was still seeing them. Until the day comes that I can no longer distinguish between reality and fantasy and my hallucinations become worse, I'm not going back to the haze. It was worse than having to deal with the faceless hallucinations that I've seen while intoxicated."
"Alright Flynn, I'll leave it alone for now. Tell me about Tyr and Charlie was it? How did you feel about them helping you?"
"I didn't mind? By then I was hurting and tired so getting help was nice. I don't think I would have made it back to my apartment on my own, or really anywhere. Walking hurt."
"How did they help you? Did you talk to them about it?"
"A little. I gave them the gist of what happened since they know both Mal and her ex. And they helped me to the frat house where I took a shower, changed clothes, and Tyr tended to my wounds and gave me an ice pack."
"Did you stay with them?"
"Yeah, I feel kind of bad I kind of just took over Tyr's bed. He apparently ended up on the floor after I passed out on his bed."
"Was he okay with you sleeping on his bed?"
"From the way he laughed at me, he was okay with it. He told me not to do it too often though."
"Sounds like a smart young man. Does he know about your schizophrenia?"
"Tyr or Charlie?"
"Both."
Flynn sighed, "Charlie doesn't, but Tyr does. He was there when mom freaked out about the medicine."
"How did he feel about it?"
"He took it a little too well for my liking honestly. He was unhappy that I didn't tell him sooner but he said overall it made sense."
"Made sense?"
"He knew me from when I was in grade school. The fact that my 'imaginary' friends never went away and me leaving made sense now."
"How does him knowing make you feel?"
Flynn leaned back and thought, "Better. When I was first partnered with him it was uncomfortable. We were doing a project on schizophrenia and we hadn't seen each other in years. I couldn't exactly say why I disappeared years earlier and it was awkward. Him knowing enabled me to finally tell him where I had been and why I was gone. I think he still looks at me strange like when I react to Rico, Trinity, or Scorch but overall we're friends and he accepts me."
"It's like a weight off your shoulders?"
"As cliche as it sounds, yes. I felt less guilty and like I could actually rekindle our friendship. It didn't need to be rebuilt on omissions and secrets."
"Does he ask questions about your condition?"
"Sometimes."
"Like when?"
"Most were answered when he found out, but on occasion he'll ask about Rico, Trinity, and/or Scorch if I react to them or if-" he cut himself off.
"Or?"
Flynn tapped his finger on his leg lightly. Did he feel like talking about it? He finally shrugged, "Or when I get drunk. It happened once and he wanted to know what was going on."
"He was there?"
"My more recent one, yes."
"What happened?"
"I was at a party, I didn't realize my cup got filled with alcohol instead of water, and I freaked out."
"Explain freaked out."
Flynn sighed, "I realized I was seeing and hearing more than just my normal three and hid in the bathroom. Tyr found me, got Nymph, and then I went home."
"How did he take seeing one of your... episodes?"
Flynn bit his tongue before replying, "I think he was kind of freaked out because he didn't know what to do. I don't really remember that night. I talked to him afterwords and it seemed that Nymph told him what was happening. I answered any other questions he may have had."
"Has your relationship changed?"
"Not really."
"Care to elaborate?"
"Not really."
"Any particular reason why?"
"No, I just don't want to."
"Do you want to have a different kind of relationship with this man?"
Flynn was quiet. He knew the doctor was aware that he liked males rather than females, but he didn't want to talk to him about relationships he may or may not have. His eyes looked up at the clock to see his hour was up. "Oh look at the time, my session's done." He carefully stood up, wincing from the bruises. "I'll see you next week."
Dr. Albert looked at him for a moment before sighing, "Same time and day. Have a safe week and try not to get into anymore fights."
"I'll try doc. I don't like fighting, it just happens sometimes." The doctor hummed a reply as Flynn walked out of the door and building.
"How was your session?" Nymph asked once Flynn was in the car.
"Fine. He wasn't happy that I got into a fight. Then he wanted to know how I felt about Tyr." Flynn leaned back.
"What'd you tell him for both?"
"That Mal's ex touched her so I fought him. And then didn't comment. I don't want to talk romance with him especially when there isn't any."
"Staying open as much as possible will keep them off your back. And you need to perfect your poker face or he'll keep prodding."
"Is that what you do?"
Nymph shrugged, "I don't think he really believes me anymore since I basically border compulsive liar."
"Only to people you don't like or trust."
"You know it." Nymph chuckled. "We should have a poker night sometime soon. We'll be able to see everyone and we can work on your face."
"I have a beautiful face." Flynn pouted before wincing. "Alright, usually I have a beautiful face."
"Yes, you have a nice face but it's also way too honest sometimes. I'm surprised Tyr doesn't know how you feel." Flynn groaned. "What? Maybe you two would actually get somewhere if he realized you want to strip him down and do naughty things to him."
"Nyyyyyymph."
"It's true. I think you two would be adorable together."
"I'd like to be friends before even thinking about 'stripping him down and doing naughty things.' I don't want to ruin anything."
"I believe you reached friendship level weeks ago. I mean he's taken care of you twice. Even let you sleep in his bed and possibly wear his clothes." A sly smile spreading across her face.
"You wish, these are my clothes."
"Bummer." Flynn shook his head and remained silent for the rest of the ride. Once inside their apartment Nymph turned to him and demanded, "Take off your shirt."
"Aren't you going to buy me dinner first?" Flynn joked.
"Hurry up I want to see the damage." He could hear the concern in her voice so he quickly did as she asked. He shrugged off his jacket, tossed it on one of the chairs, and carefully started pulling his shirt over his head. There was a knock on the door but neither of them turned to get it. "Come in, door's open! It's like your doing a strip tease for me."
"Getting hott ye- Tyr!" Flynn turned bright red as he turned to see his friend walking in.
Nymph whipped around and tried hard not to laugh. Flynn was scarlet while Tyr was simply shocked but easily recovered.
"I came by to see if Flynn was okay." Tyr shifted trying not to stare at his friend.
Nymph looked at him amused, "I don't know about okay, but he's taking it in strides." She turned to her half naked roommate and asked, "What did the doctors say?"
Flynn was looking down, "Mild concussion. That's as bad as it gets other than what you see littering my body. How is he doing?"
Nymph snorted, "You broke his nose and he looks ten times worse than you." She walked over and ran her fingers over all the exposed bruises. "He did a number on you though."
"That's what happens when I only defend myself. May I put my shirt back on?"
"Yeah. How's your lower body? Do I need to look at that too?"
"No!" Flynn yelled with a scowl. He was aware she was being mean to him. "Are you staying for dinner Tyr?" He decided to ignore his female friend.
"Sure, if it's okay."
"I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't." Flynn chuckled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two more finals and I'm done undergrad. OMG!