I'm Just Fine

A Friedn's Story Part II

*Fade in New participant*
Flynn: Please state your name and grade.
?: My name is Trina and I am a grad student.
Flynn: Trina, what have you been diagnosed with?
Trina: I have OCD or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Double wammie here. *grins as her leg bounces*
Flynn: How long have you been diagnosed with these disorders?
Trina: Oh, let's see. *Taps fingers against jaw* I've had ADHD since I was about third grade and OCD since seventh grade.
Flynn: What do you do to keep your disorders in check? Do you have a treatment plan to help you?
Trina: Oh lord yes! For my ADHD I keep to a pretty strict schedule because routines help me focus and keep me on track. I also play sports to help release some of my excess energy and because you know they are fun and all. *laughs* Being active and constantly stimulated helps prevent my mind from wandering too much and trying to seek ways to entertain myself. I also take medicine to keep my brain chemicals in check. As for my OCD, routines also help and having my own room prevents me from freaking out on a roommate. I also have to take medication for it to prevent me from having too much anxiety. Overall, I also meet with a therapist every other week. OH! And I organize my friends' lives because they have terrible organization skills. Honestly, I should teach a class.
Flynn: *soft chuckle, clears throat* Would you please give us a brief history before you were diagnosed?
Trina: So formal! *laugh* As for my history, it's going to be brief if I can't include my disorders.
Flynn: You may include ADHD in your history leading up to being diagnosed with OCD.
Trina: You're a doll. Okay! So I was a terror as a young child. I would get into everything and anything and not pay attention in school. I'd run around, throw things, and be in constant movement. My parents signed me up to play sports and I fell in love! However, my good behavior only lasted for so long and by second grade I was back to my old ways. Finally in third grade I was tested for ADD and walked out of the office diagnosed with ADHD. It took a little while for my parents to agree to put me on some medicine because of the side effects, but once I was on I was a little better. I could focus more and caused less interruptions throughout the day. But as I grew older I became obsessed with the number three and having things in order. It started out with little things. Color coordinating objects, arranging things by height, making sure different things were symmetric. By seventh grade I would have meltdowns if I couldn't fix things like a pencil being slightly a skewed or if I couldn't touch something three times. Once again I was brought to a psychologist and walked out with another diagnosis. This time I had mild-severe OCD. I was put on medicine to try to damper my anxiety and I got special permission to 'fix' things in my classes so I wouldn't have an anxiety attack.
Flynn: Sounds like you've had a hard time.
Trina:*Chuckle* Can't say my childhood was easy.
Flynn: Would you mind describing what it was like growing up with your disorders?
Trina: In more detail? *grin*
Flynn: Yes, please.
Trina: Of course. Well, my disorders basically fed each other. I would be so hyper with energy I could clean for hours. I was made fun of a lot during grade school because of how I acted and as I said, I was in trouble all the time. It made growing up hard, but I didn't particularly mind. I had friends and sports, but eventually even my OCD got in the way of enjoying them. When I wasn't actively doing something like running up and down the basketball court or watching the volleyball, I was finding things that were out of place. That player's shoelaces aren't even. That man's striped shirt don't match up. My coaches handwriting isn't the same height. It got to be so bad that my coaches ended up putting me in so I wasn't bothering anyone. In a world so full of imperfections, I felt as though I needed to fix it all the time. My ADHD mind flitted around so much that I would always find something that wasn't straight or in order. I eventually went to school with kids similar to me. It was hard at first because some of the other students liked to make messes and I needed to clean them up. But after a while and with the help of my friends, family, and teachers, I was able to learn how to work with my disorders instead of against them. They are apart of me so I started embracing them.
Even though I accept them, they do get in the way. Like when I fight with my boyfriend! *open mouth laugh* If I want to be dramatic and slam the door, I can't slam it and be done. I have to slam it three times and that is so much less dramatic. It's more of a comedy act than a show of anger. I think I've made up more with him because we couldn't stay mad at the situation anymore because of my inability to just leave if I'm mad. A few times we've had to take a few hours to calm down, but usually we end up a laughing mess with people staring at us. Or if I'm stressed I tend to clean more and pay attention to the more minute details rather than actually trying to calm down. It annoys people sometimes because they'll be trying to do something and I'm in the way trying to sort or clean. Overall though, I think I'm doing a lot better than I was before and less people tease me. Although that may have to do with the fact that my housemates like that I keep the house clean. *chuckle*
Flynn: I'm happy to hear living with OCD and ADHD doesn't appear to really inhibit you in anyway.
Trina: Me too, I know quite a few people who aren't as lucky.
Flynn: Who knows that you are diagnosed with ADHD and OCD?
Trina: Basically everyone I meet. I don't tend to keep it a secret because it's easier for me to be like 'hey I have ADHD and OCD, don't mind me if I have an attention span of a nat or I start rearranging things.' It's personally easier for me and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm different than others.
Flynn: You're a strong person, Trina. Is there any last words you would like to say before we end your interview?
Trina: Hmm, just that you don't need to be ashamed that you're different. Sometimes different is s much more fun and makes life more exciting. *Fade out with her silently laughing*
*Fade in to fifth participant*
Flynn: Good morning, please state your name and year.
?: My name is Brenden Finnegan and I am a Junior.
Flynn: Hello Brenden, what have you been diagnosed with?
Brenden: I have dyslexia.
Flynn: How long have you been diagnosed with dyslexia?
Brenden: Since I was in second grade, so about twelve years.
Flynn: What do you do to help you?
Brenden: I usually have a piece of paper under the line I'm reading so I don't confuse the lines and I have to read slowly. If I have to read a book for school I'll get it on audio book format and try to read along.
Flynn: Would you mind giving a brief history before you were diagnosed?
Brenden: I can do that. I was really good at school except when it came to reading. I would jumble up words, spelling, and letters. I had a hard time reading because the words didn't make sense to me. When I was in second grade I was finally tested to see why my reading and phonics grades were low and come to find out I had dyslexia. Ha! Wasn't my fault teachers!
Flynn: *light chuckle* What is it like growing up with dyslexia?
Brenden: *Pause, looks off thinking* It was difficult because at times I felt stupid. I watched as everyone around me flew through easy books and advance while I was stuck behind reading books below my grade level. I wondered why I excelled in everything else yet couldn't read an Easy Reader book. I remember becoming frustrated when my little sister surpassed me in books. I was in fourth grade reading at a second grade level. One night I was struggling to reading Knuffle Bunny and I looked over to see my sister, who was in third grade at the time, reading Shiloh. I remember getting so mad at myself I threw my book and stormed off. I finally 'caught up' when I was in sophomore year of high school.
Flynn: What do you mean by 'caught up?'
Brenden: I was only about a grade level behind instead three to four. All through grade school I was usually at least three grades behind in reading. I had to use a lot of audio books to keep me on track, but even then one year I was held back because I couldn't pass my reading classes due to jumbling up the words. It's gotten better though. I can't read Dr. Reid fast, but I can keep up as long as I have a piece of paper under what line I'm supposed to be on.
Flynn: Has it inhibited you in any other way?
Brenden: *Thinks* Not really. My self-confidence was pretty low for a little while because of my struggles with reading. I hated reading aloud because I would stumbled and stutter and I was really slow. It got worse when the other students started moaning about how slow I was reading. One teacher thought she was doing me a favor by never really calling on me, but I just felt more alienated. My friends were awesome though and if a word problem was taking me a long time to do, they'd either read it to me or isolate the word I was having trouble with. Some of the kids were mean, but most were nice and helpful.
Flynn: How about now that you're in college?
Brenden: I've mastered how to read articles and books enough that I'm fine. If I'm in a group I can keep up and help.
Flynn: That's great to hear, Brenden. Who knows about your dyslexia?
Brenden: All my teachers, friends, family, and most of my classmates.
Flynn: Any last words?
Brenden: Sounds like I'm dying, *Chuckle* But seriously, let's see. I suppose, like with anything living with a disorder is hard, but when you learn to work with it, it doesn't have to control your life. The hardest part is accepting and working with it.
Flynn: Thank you.
Brenden: Anytime. *Fade out to him standing and shaking Flynn's hand*
*Fade it to a shy girl picking at her sleeve*
Flynn: Please state your name and year.
?: *doesn't look at camera* Malia, um my name is Malia Montgomery and I am a senior.
Flynn: Good morning Malia.
Mal: Morning Flynn. *Smile*
Flynn: What have you been diagnosed with?
Mal: I-I have mild social anxiety and...*Pause*
Flynn: You don't have to-
Malia: I want to. *Straightens up* I am recovering from anorexia.
Flynn: *Gentle voice* What is you treatment plan for you anxiety and anorexia?
Malia: I take anti-anxiety pills and have been slowly acclimating myself to crowds. If I feel like I'm about to have an anxiety attack I find some to be with and try to go somewhere with as few of people as possible. As for my anorexia I try to eat every meal. I do better when it's healthier like salads, fruits, homemade smoothies, things like that. I go to counseling individually and in groups to keep my spirits up about eating.
Flynn: Can you give us a brief history before you disorders?
Malia: I've always had the social anxiety. As far back s I can remember I never liked crowds and would panic when i was in one. I preferred small groups and being with people I knew. Meeting new people can cause me panic and have an attack. As for my anorexia I grew up a little pudgy, not huge or obese but I had some baby fat. I've always have had low self-esteem and not a lot of friends. Mainly my older sister was my friend so my confidence wasn't great. By the time I was in seventh grade I had no desire to eat for two reasons: anxiety and image. Anxiety causes your sympathetic nervous system, or your fight and flight, to dominate and suppresses your desire to eat so as I grew older I didn't want to eat especially in social settings. Add that to how I saw myself... My sister, whom I don't blame and if she starts blaming herself I will punch her-
Flynn: You probably shouldn't threaten your sister in this *soft chuckle*
Malia: *looking stubbornly at Flynn* I know she's going to blame herself and I don't want her to. May I continue? *Flynn nods off screen* Good, anyway my sister was always playing sports thus had no body fat to her name. She was always thin and muscular, the polar opposite of me. No one really teased me about my body, but I watched how the other girls changed and I never saw myself thin out. I started eating less when I was hungry which due to my anxiety wasn't that often. I was in seventh grade when I was diagnosed with both disorders.
Flynn: Mind telling us what happened and what it is like living with social anxiety and anorexia?
Malia: *looks down, shakes head* I passed out on day at school and was brought to the hospital. I only weighed about 95 pounds which was alarming to say the lease. It was a long road from there. I ended up going to a boarding school to try and get me into a routine and so someone could watch me constantly to make sure I ate. It was distressing and my freshman year I partially relapsed into not eating because I was so anxious. My family was very supportive, but some of the other students weren't. They'd tease me and make me feel uncomfortable on purpose. The teachers stopped it when they could, but children can be sneaky. My confidence and disorders became... better when I found a group of friends that accepted me. *Small knowing smile* One of them helped me out a lot by having me eat more healthy. I'm more vegetarian in my ways now, but I will eat meat on occasion. My friend always made sure I eat, but never forced me to eat too much. Baby steps he used to say. When I was on the verge of relapsing, he gives me some sort of vegetable usually. Like carrots or celery. After I calmed down from whatever was stressing me out then we'd move on to something more substantial. It was hard at first because I didn't want to eat no matter what I was given, but over time it has become easier to start out small and then rebuild. It can be frustrating though because I don't want to have to keep rebuilding my appetite. I see people enjoying pizza and ice cream and just eating in general like it's no big deal. To me though... to me eating is almost one of the most precious things I do because I often don't want to. I still look at myself occasionally and find what I see in the mirror unappealing or unattractive... but I have words on my mirror to remind myself that none of the negative thoughts are true. They don't always work, but I'm working on becoming comfortable with myself.
My social anxiety is less severe now than it was when I was younger. I can usually go out to a party and not have a melt down. The anxiety is still under the surface, but it's less frightening now to be around people I don't know. It's easier when I have someone there with me and I know there will be times when I have to go to a social event or talk to someone on my own, but I'm building to that. Right now I just have to keep up what I'm doing no matter how hard and hard it is. Living with my disorders is really hard. Sometimes I feel like they rule my life instead of me, but I'm working on them. I still have a long ways to go before I am able to walk on my own two feet. I also know that they will never completely go away, and that relapse into my anxiety over people and refusing to eat will always be possible. I guess, I'm still working on accepting them as being a part of who I am.
Flynn: Thank you for your story, Malia. Who knows about your disorders?
Malia: My family, friends, doctors, most of my sorority, and the school.
Flynn: Do you have any final words for anyone who watches this?
Malia: *Deep in thought* Disorders don't go away, they are part of a person just like an eye or a heart. Sometimes the disorder wins, sometimes we are strong enough to overcome them... but being different is hard and being strong is harder. People need to support those struggling because sometimes we need others to believe in us when we have been beaten down for too long. It is always nice to know we have someone on our side. *Fade out, Malia giving a small kind smile*
♠ ♠ ♠
So there was only going to be two parts but their stories needed to be told and I don't think anyone wants to read an extrememly long chapters. So now this video project is three chapters long. Hope you enjoyed this segment so far!