I'm Just Fine

A Friend Who is Old and New

Sophomore year Flynn and Nymph rented an apartment off campus while everyone else stayed on. It was queer at first for everyone to be so spread out but they always found a time to get together. Most Sunday supper's was this designated time. The first semester passed by the way any other. Only with the slight change of some of them, like Nymph and Malia, who declared a major. Now the entire group had a subject they were focusing on.
It was a month into second semester when Flynn's Psychology professor walked in and announced a project. They were going to work in pairs where they would thus be assigned a mental disorder. The point of the project was to show similarities and differences in diagnosed cases. They would have to pick a well known person of history, a slightly less well known, and then someone in the present (preferably still alive). Flynn sat patiently at his desk doodling as his teacher started naming off the pairs. His eyes only looked up when he was called.
"Flynn Tempest, you are partnered with Tyr Morgenson. Your disorder is Schizophrenia." His teacher smiled as he continued pairing off the rest of the class.
Flynn was frozen in place. He hadn't heard that name in over six year, not since that summer so long ago. His eyes slowly shifted over the sea of students until they landed on the young man that was so different and yet hadn't changed that much. Shocked green eyes stared at him, Tyr's mouth slightly ajar. Flynn had no idea what to do. His first instinct was to run, but Trinity was standing next to him shout that if he flee she wasn't talking to him. Most people would have seen that as a blessing considering she didn't exists. But he had already experienced a whole year with out her and he wasn't willing to do that again.
Awkwardly Tyr stood up and walked over to the desk directly in front of Flynn. The latter twitched in his seat until the other man sat down. They waited in the defining silence unsure of how to break it. The professor was the one to distract them. "Alright everyone. Now that you know your mental disorder and who your partner is, please get together if you haven't and swap information. You must have a ten to fifteen minute presentation on your topic and a 7-10 page paper. This paper will include your disorder, symptoms, age bracket, diagnosis/tests, treatments and any other relevant information. Once you have described your topic you must write about one of the people you have chosen for your presentation. This will be 25% of your grade and you must have a work cited page along with at least five sources. Any questions?... Okay, here is the outline of what I just said so you don't forget. It will be due a month from now and I will randomly choose groups to go each day so be prepared. I will give you the rest of the time to meet with your partner and start. If you think of any questions you can ask me until class is over, e-mail me, or come by during my office hours." He started passing out the papers to each group. When he came to Flynn's group, he smiled at him and asked, "How are you doing today, Mr. Flynn?"
"Well, and yourself?" Dr. Lanz was his adviser and mentor. Someone Flynn found he could talk to easily without being judged.
"Excellent. Excited about this project?"
"It should be interesting."
"Always is." The older man laughed. "And how was Winter break? Were you able to go home?"
Flynn shook his head, curls tossing all over the place. "I worked mostly and mum's overseas managing some deal."
"Keep in touch. It gets harder to communicate the more time passes." Flynn was well aware of this fact, but said nothing. Dr. Lanz patted Flynn's shoulder, smiled at Tyr, and then sat at the desk.
"Your mom still works for the same advertising company?" Tyr asked tentatively.
Flynn looked at him surprised, "Ah, yeah. Dad opened his own practice though."
"That's cool."
Things turned once again awkward until Flynn asked, "And your parents?"
"Mom got promoted to Chief editor of the sport's section while dad is still out interviewing."
"That's awesome. Congrats to your mom." Flynn gave a soft genuine smile, truly happy for Mrs. Morgenson.
"Thanks. So um, do you want to compare schedules to see when we're both free." Flynn nodded as he pulled out his monthly planner. Tyr noted how even now, Flynn's things were still covered in doodles and drawings.
"I'm free Tuesday and Thursday mornings until one and then anytime after 3:30 on Thursday. I have a three hour block from 11:30-2:30 on Monday,Wednesday, Friday. Saturday and Sundays I'm free after 2." Flynn read off. "Sundays though, I have to be back at my apartment to make supper."
"You live off campus?" Tyr found that interesting. Flynn nodded as he made sure he didn't miss anything. "I'm free from 11:30-1:30 on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays and all day most Sundays. I can't do Saturdays because I usually have a game. And I'm free after 3:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays."
"You still play sports?" Flynn smirked, not surprised Tyr still played.
Tyr snorted, "How I'm paying for college."
"Are you at least having fun?"
"Of course!"
Flynn laughed as he wrote in when Tyr was free. "Good. Do you want to do Monday, Thursdays, and a little on Sundays until it's finished?"
"Sure. We can start tomorrow. Meet in the library at 3:30?" Tyr asked, putting his planner away.
"Make it 3:45 and I'll be there. I'd like to eat before I come."
"Sounds fair. I'll see you later, Flynn." Flynn fumbled his pen, it'd been a while since his name was uttered by those lips. "And it was good seeing you."
Flynn could see the six year old hurt in his once best friend's eyes. "You too. Later." Tyr nodded and left. Flynn was slower to put his things away and then dashed to his apartment so he could get ready for work.
"Hey love of my life, what's up with you?" Nymph smiled, dressed in nothing more than panties and a bra.
"I'm going to be late for work." Flynn replied as he walked into his room to change into his uniform.
"You have almost an hour to get there and we live at most fifteen minutes from away. What's really bothering you, Skitz?" She slipped her arms around his waist and cuddled against his side.
Flynn sighed, "I saw an old friend today."
Nymph straightened up, "If it's Mikey or Lance again I swear to all the powers in the 'verse-"
"Not it wasn't them." He rolled his eyes. "I can stand up to them on my own thank you."
"Just looking out for you, Love." She kissed his cheek which he returned easily. "Do I know this friend?"
"No, he's from before-"
"No! No, no, no!" Her storm grey eyes lit up as she pushed him onto his bed and straddled him. "Please tell me you did not run into-"
"Yes." He sighed once more. "I ran into Tyr. Not only that, we're working together on a project for Psych."
"Oh My God!" She bounced on his stomach. "Why the hell you are not happy?" She frowned at her friend. He should be happy they were reuniting after all this time.
"Because it's awkward and weird!" He groaned, hands covering his eyes. "It's been six years and so much has changed. And yet he's still the same! Same green eyes, same annoyingly tan skin, same freakishly tall athletic body, and same hair so dark I question whether or not it is actually a black hole. Although he grew it out. And he actually had stubble. He didn't have stubble before." He groaned.
"He was also just entering puberty when you got whisked away to our lovely alma mater."
"Oh that's where it gets even worse." Nymph rose a perfectly manicured brow. "Our project is on Schizophrenia."
Nymph stared at him a moment before bursting out into laughter. "That's fucking gold! Only you Skitz would be partnered with your old best friend you haven't seen in six years, who sounds incredibly hot by the way, and have to do a project on the exact reason you up and ditched him."
"Thanks Nymph, you make me feel so much better." Flynn replied wryly.
"Oh baby come here." She cradled his head in her cleavage.
"You do realize that suffocation by breasts doesn't make me happy right?"
"Oops." She giggled, "Sometimes I forget my tits don't bring you joy." She turned his head so it rested on her chest.
"I much prefer your heart."
"This is why I love you." She cooed and hugged him tighter. Trinity, Rico, and Scorch gathered around the two to offer a silent comfort. The group was quiet for a little while before Nymph gently but seriously said, "Everything will be fine Flynn. You two were best friends before and you can still be friends now. So what if six years passed? They say you have a true friend when large amounts of time can pass and you still fit together like nothing happened."
"But so much has happened, Nymph... what if it is too much? I was institutionalized for Christ's sake."
"He was friends with you when you were too old to have imaginary friends, right?" Flynn, and his three invisible friends nodded their heads; Tyr easily accepted them as part of Flynn's life. "Then I bet he'll understand if you tell him. Or don't, It is up to you. But he doesn't seem like the guy to bail because you're a little strange. I mean at least now there is an actual explanation."
"I guess." He squeezed her before letting his right hand fall to stroke Scorch who purred happily at him.
"You should get going. It's almost quarter of." Nymph kissed the top of his head and then peeled herself from him. Flynn watched her leave but didn't follow right away. He took a few relaxing breaths, mirrored by his friends, before getting up and slipping on his shoes, coat, and grabbing his keys. "Should I expect company tonight?" He asked as he hugged his 'sister' goodbye.
A predator smile crossed her lips as Nymph replied, "Most likely. I'll try to be quiet."
"Just be careful. If I have to throw him or her out, you aren't allowed to have anyone over this weekend."
Nymph pouted, but nodded, "Agreed. Taking sex from me is like taking crack from an addict."
"Maybe, but it's for your own good. Be safe baby sister and be smart. I'll see you tonight." He kissed the top of her head and turned to leave.
"You too. Be safe out there in that cruel world!" She waved with a giant grin on her face.
He came home later that night to left over lasagna, asparagus, and mashed potatoes. As he was heating it up he heard a smack and froze; listening to any indication that Nymph wasn't okay. However, the tension left his body as he heard "Harder! Harder! Yes! Yes! YES!" of an unidentified woman. Clearly Nymph was more than okay. The noise from his roommate's room continued, but he drowned it out with music and surfing the net until he finished his late night dinner. Once finished, he put his plate in the sink and knocked on Nymph's door. "I'm going to bed, good night Nymph and friend."
He waited patiently by the door. The sound of thrusting didn't stop but he heard Nymph pant out, "Good night Love, sweet dreams." Satisfied with their somewhat normal good nights, Flynn got ready for bed. He went to bed with the sound of one of the women climaxing and then classical music once he slipped his earbuds in.
♠ ♠ ♠
I do enjoy Nymph and Flynn's strange relationship.