I'm Just Fine

A Slow Stream of Friends

Tyr started texting Flynn. They didn't have deep conversations or anything, but on occasion Flynn's phone would vibrate and Tyr would be asking him about something. Homework, their project, if black and brown still didn't go together, anything just to try to break the awkwardness that was still between them. It took Flynn three questions that segued into an actual conversation before he caught on. It was he who finally broke the cycle.
They'd been texting for the passed hour and Flynn was on the verge of passing out. As he waited for Tyr to reply, he stripped of his shirt and pants and groggily climbed into bed. His head hit the pillow when his phone buzzed. He quickly read the message before typing 'I never understood why some colors don't go together, you'll have to ask Nymph. I'm gunna go to bed. Night Tyr. PS You know you don't have to ask me a question, you can text me whenever.' He hit reply without thinking through the latter part but easily shrugged. He fell asleep before he could read Tyr's answer.
Flynn woke the next morning to Nymph jumping on him. "Wake up sleepy butt!" He groaned and tried to burrow himself deeper into his pillow. "Don't be a bum, get up or I'll- oooh a text. Who have you been talking to?"
"Nymph!" He was too slow as she danced away into the living room. He chased after her.
"Marty, catch!" She laughed as she tossed it to their waiting friend.
He easily caught it. "I'm all for keep away, but why are we?" Marty asked as he evaded Flynn.
"Guys!" He growled. The room filled with laughter as Trinity, Marty, Nymph, and Rico cackled. "What are you laughing at?" His eyes glared at his oldest friends. Trinity and Rico shrugged as they smiled at him. "Everyone's against me today, even Scorch." Flynn whined, flopping on the couch. Scorch purred before going back to grooming herself.
"No offense Skitz, but your hallucinations can't help you." Marty smirked. "They're all in your head." He flicked Flynn's head as Trinity growled at him.
"Be glad they're only in your head. Trinity would be kicking your ass right now." Flynn easily replied.
Marty snorted, "Yeah right, she's no match for me." Flynn raised an eye brow but didn't reply. "Now what does your text say- Hey!" He glared as Nymph picked the phone out of his hands. "Nympho!"
"Only I can read Skitz's personal unread texts." She stuck out her tongue before sauntering into the kitchen.
"Says who?" Marty crossed his arms.
"Me, I'm special. Right Hun?" She smiled at Flynn.
"Definitely special." Nymph giggled as he made kissy faces at her.
Marty pouted. "That's favoritism."
"Do you want me to snuggle with you and watch rom-com when you're scared?" Flynn hugged Marty and said in a baby voice.
"Get off me, Ass-hole." He pushed off a laughing Flynn. "You're a jerk."
"Aww you were talking about me." Nymph cooed as she walked back into the living room. "What were you saying and why is Tyr asking me something?"
"Who's Tyr?" Marty growled. He didn't like new people entering their group.
"Cool it, it's Flynn's old friend. The one from grade school." She sat down on Marty's lap and continued to read the message. Marty hummed, satisfied with the answer. "What was he okaying? He sounds nervous or surprised. Did you tell him!?" She turned her face in surprise.
"No." Flynn rolled his eyes, plucking the phone from her hands. "I told him he didn't have to ask me a question every time he wanted to talk to me... I can't believe I said that to him. So much for getting over the awkward."
"Oh darling, I don't think you two will ever get over being awkward. From what I hear your relationship was built on awkward."
"What the hell does that mean?"
"You two bonded over weird ass last names and you had 'imaginary' friends throughout grade school. That makes you both quite awkward and weird, but in an adorable way." She patted his hair and got off of Marty. "Now, we need to get dressed before we are late for school. I'll be back."
The rest of the day went smoothly with only a mild case of teasing from his friends. Things only got more interesting the next time Flynn and Tyr were suppose to meet again. The latter had just walked up the stairs of the library and heading to the table when her heard a familiar voice complain, "Flyyyynn, why can't I find a guy like you?"
"Because I'm one of a kind?" Flynn's deep and gentle voice replied. "Are you in a fight with your boyfriend?" Tyr slowed his pace so he could hear the two interact more. He knew he shouldn't be eavesdropping, but this woman wasn't Nymph and he was curious to who Flynn's other friends were.
"Kind of. We had a disagreement and he was mean so I stormed off and slammed the door... three times. It made my exit so much less dramatic!"
"Is that what you're upset about?"
"Not only." Tyr could hear the pout in the woman's voice.
"What was the fight about?"
"How I care more about Basketball than him. Which is totally not true! We've been dating for three years, but I need to keep my scholarship."
"When was the last time you did something for him?"
"Like two weeks ago. The ways he's acting, he's totally going to ruin my surprise for him."
"What's the surprise?"
"I'm not telling! It'll find a way to him. I know these things... this fight is making me crazy. I've cleaned my room four times already and we've been in a fight for like two hours."
"Here, go at it."
"You're a doll! Seriously be my boyfriend." Flynn laughed, Tyr taking it as a signal to finally finish his trek to the table.
Tyr stopped when he saw who Flynn was taking to, "Trina?" His mouth slightly ajar.
Her grey-blue eyes looked up in surprise, "Tyr?!"
Flynn looked between the two. "You two know each other?"
"Dur." Trina snorted as she pushed Flynn three times. "He's a Greek brother. I've known him since he went through initiation. Also he's on the male's basketball team so we work with each other all the time. How ya doing T?"
"G-good." Tyr shook his head trying to clear stupor. He cleared his throat. "How about you?"
"Okay." She sighed, "Your frat pres is being dumb."
"He can be, but he's a good guy."
"That he is." She purred as her eyes glazed over. Then she snapped out of it, "How do you two know each other? Flynn is the polar opposite of Frat boy and never comes to parties when I invite him."
"Thanks, Trina. We're working on a Psych project." Flynn replied wryly.
"Oh the one on Schizophrenia? Wait that means-" Her eyes snapped to Tyr. "Oh my God! You're Tyr! Like Flynn's best friend from before I knew him Tyr! This is brilliant." She got up and hugged the startled young man. "How could I not make the connection. I feel dumb sometimes." She laughed.
"You're not going to steal from me too, are you? It's not some form of hazing is it?" Tyr asked cautiously.
"Steal? Why would I- Nymph." Trina shook her head three times. "No, not my thing."
"Good to know... Why does everyone freak out about me knowing Flynn?"
"Cos your like the only one he ever talks about from his past. Apparently he had no friends when he was younger."
"I guess you could say that..." Tyr didn't want to step into the imaginary friend territory, afraid Flynn's friends didn't know about them. "Though he was pretty popular in our classes."
"Yeah, specially with the bullies." Flynn muttered, continuing his doodling.
"Who bullied you?" Trina looked appalled at the idea. "I'll beat the shit out of them. No one hurts mom like that!"
"Mom?" Tyr snickered as Flynn groaned.
"That's what we call him behind his back." Trina fake whispered. "Cuz he's always taking care of us. He's like a second mom. Oooo!" She perked up with shining eyes. "Maybe you can help. Know any fine young men we can set Flynn up with. He needs a man who will pamper him."
"I don't need pampering..." Flynn's friends loved him... in a pick on him sort of way.
"Please." She waved her hand dismissively. "You never spoil yourself, you need someone to spoil you. And no offense but we are all too selfish to do that."
"What if I don't mind not being spoiled? I like helping you guys out."
"It's okay to be selfish sometimes." She grabbed Flynn's hands in hers and looked at him seriously. "And since you are the very definition of 'selfless' we need to find you a man."
"I'm content being single you know. Though I am not objecting to having a relationship, I do not need to be set up. Besides when would I have time? Being mom is a full time job." He smiled mockingly at her.
"I'm only trying to help." She scowled.
"And I platonically love you for it." He kissed both cheeks aware of how it would drive her crazy if he didn't. "Now, are you going to sort through my planner or distract me from my work all day?"
"Only because your life is a mess." She looked down at his planner. "I just went through this last month!"
"Not everyone can be as organized as you, Trina."
"No shit. I think you do it on purpose." She pushed back from the table, "I'm going to need coffee to fix your life. Anyone want anything?"
"Tea please." Flynn smiled at her as he fixed his glasses.
"French Vanilla Regular if you don't mind." Tyr requested.
"Anything for you two. I'll be back." She waved and trotted off.
There was silence between the partners until Tyr commented, "You have the most unique friends. They cause my head to spin."
Flynn chuckled, "Yeah, be glad you haven't met Marty. He's a sarcastic firecracker you just want to punch in the face."
"I'll try to remember that."
"You might know him actually. He's dating Lydia Commeara."
Tyr's eyes widened. "You're friends with him? I'm so sorry."
Flynn chuckled, "It's cool, I know how to handle him and when I can't Nymph is his wrangler."
"You know how to handle your friends." Flynn shrugged. "Though I have to admit, he does treats Lydia well."
"Nymph trained him well. Just don't piss him off."
"Yeah, I've seen him mad. He's fucking scary."
"Oh yeah. But he secretly has a heart of gold. Don't repeat it though." Flynn winked.
"I won't." There was a bit of silence until Tyr tentatively asked, "Are you really gay or was she teasing you?"
Flynn was quiet a moment before answer, "I'm attracted to guys." Flynn's hazel eyes stared straight into Tyr's, waiting for his reaction.
Tyr shrugged, "Okay, should I look for a guy for you?" He smirked.
"No." Flynn replied as Trina shouted, "Yes!" Tyr chuckled as Flynn glared and Trine grinned.