I'm Just Fine

Friend Meet Family

"Mary Todd Lincoln." Tyr said as he walked up to the table for another one of their research days. Flynn jumped and turned to face Tyr with wide eyes. "Huh?" He had just been reading an overview of a research article when Tyr spoke.
"Mary Todd Lincoln. She can be our second famous person to have Schizophrenia." He turned his tablet to show the woman listed as having the disorder.
Flynn's eyes scanned the page quickly and nodded, "She's fine with me as long as we can get information on her. It's probably going to be a little difficult to find hard evidence since the disorder wasn't around or necessarily well known but I'm fine with it." Tyr smiled and sat down across from his friend. He stretched out his legs, the side of his shin and calf touching Flynn's. The two quietly researched and exchanged information via google docs. The peaceful atmosphere was only shattered by Flynn's phone vibrating across the table. "Hello?... Hey Molly, how are you?... I'm fine, just doing boring school stuff. How is first grade going?... Really? Impressive, you're far more advanced than I ever was...*chuckle* Yes, where's mum and dad?... May I speak with one of them?... Thank you... Hi, Molly said you wanted to speak to me?... Are they on break?... Mhm... I can talk to Nymph but I'm sure she won't mind... How long?... Alright, I'm fine with it but I'll talk to Nymph and get back to you in a moment... Love you too, tell them I said bye... I am *rolls eyes*... Bye." He hung up and proceeded to call Nymph, "Hello Beautiful goddess of all things shiny and corruptible, how are you today?..." Flynn grinned at Nymph's reply. "My mum has to go on a business trip and would like to know if we could watch over- Okay, I'll let them know. Make sure to remember they're here... Platonically love you too. Later Nymph." Once again he ended a call and then called his parents. "Hey dad, it's all good... yeah, no problem.... I'll see you next week, bye." He snapped his phone shut and leaned back as he scrubbed his hands over his face.
"What's up?" Tyr asked.
"I'm babysitting next week. My sisters are coming to stay. Would you mind studying at my place? I don't know if I trust them wandering around the library while we try to work."
"I'm fine with that. We can take a break and only meet up once or twice instead of all three." Tyr offered.
"We'll see how bratty they become." Flynn grinned.
"How old is Molly now?" Tyr moved his computer so he could see Flynn.
"Six. She's top of her class and has too many friends."
Tyr chuckled, "So definitely not you or me."
"She's more like you." Flynn snorted, "You had many friends, you just decided that I was your favorite."
"You ar-were. I don't think I can call most of our old classmates my friends. I barely hung out with them." Flynn merely looked at him without commenting. "Don't judge me with those judgmental eyes of yours. It's true and you know it." Flynn put up his hands in surrender. Tyr rolled his eyes before asking, "You said sisters, who's the other one?"
"Tara. She's five and adores kindergarten. She can be shy though until she gets to know you, then she won't shut up."
"Oh so like you." Tyr teased.
"Jerk." Flynn chuckled, bumping the side of his leg with Tyr's. "How are your siblings?"
"Good. Ryan and Conner are waiting for their acceptance letters to here and one other place and Teresa is loving high school."
"That's great. I'm sure Ry and Con will get accepted."
"I hope so. Connor's been struggling with his dyslexia and ADD."
"Have you met my friends? If they can get in, he's a sure in." Tyr barked out a laugh. They resumed their comfortable silence until class.
The week ended and Sunday came quickly. Tyr and Flynn agreed to work at the apartment since Molly and Tara were suppose to arrive sometime around 1. They were in the middle of comprising their notes on Schizophrenia when there was a knock at the door. Flynn stood and opened it.
"Flynn!" Molly cried as she flung herself at him. He easily caught and hugged her before bending down to greet Tara.
"Hey Tara, how are you?" He grinned as she ran into his arms.
"Finny!" She purred into his shoulder. "Good. School fun and now I see you." Flynn only had a few more moments with his sisters until Nymph walked out.
"No love for me?" She gave a fake pout until the girls squealed and rushed at her.
Flynn stood up and greeted his parents, "Hi mum. Hi dad." He hugged both of them and kissed their cheeks.
"Hello dear." His mom smiled. "You look great. I was worried when you said you were getting an apartment, but it seems Nymph has been making sure you eat."
"Please," Nymph smiled, "It's all him. I come home just so he'll cook for me." She walked over, the Tempest sisters still trailing her, and hugged his parents. "Hi Mrs. and Mr. Tempest."
"Hello Nymph." They smiled and hugged her.
"Who is this? I've never seen you before." Mr. Tempest noticed Tyr standing off to the side so as not to get in their way.
Nymph snorted as Flynn replied, "Mum, dad you remember Tyr."
His parents stared in surprise before saying, "Tyr honey, it's been ages." Flynn's mom walked over and pulled Tyr into a hug. "How have you been?"
It took him a moment, but he replied, "I've been fine. And you?"
"Great. My you've grown up so much and handsome." She patted his cheek with a smile.
She stepped to the side as Flynn's dad stuck out his hand, "Nice to see you again, Tyr. Still playing sports?"
"Of course. We're nearing the end of basketball season." Tyr smiled.
"Good boy." Mr. Tempest clasped his shoulder. "How are your classes going?"
"Great. Nothing I can't handle and most I find interesting." Mr. Tempest nodded approvingly.
"How did you two meet? Flynn hasn't said anything about seeing you again." Mrs. Tempest shot a disapproving look at her oldest child.
"We're working on a project for Psychology. Weirdly enough we didn't even know that we were in the same class until our teacher called us to be partners."
"Small world." she laughed. "What are you majoring in?"
"Psychology with a concentration in sport's medicine. I want to be a trainer and/or counselor."
"Very nice, your parents must be proud."
"They haven't objected otherwise."
"I'm glad. Well, we must be going. Girls come here so we can say good-bye." Molly and Tara detached themselves from Nymph long enough to hug their parents and say good-bye. "Flynn, may we speak to you for a moment?" Flynn nodded and walked them out to their car.
Tyr felt his pants being pulled and looked down to see familiar hazel eyes. Tara looked up and asked, "Is you weally Finny friend from gwade school?"
"Yeah, we met in first grade." He smiled down at the shy girl with her first to her mouth. She looked at him hard and then nodded her approval. She turned and resumed her spot at Nymph's side. A minute or two later, Flynn returned looking slightly exasperated.
He shook it off and smiled, "What would you two like for dinner tonight?"
Molly and Tara's faces lit up as they looked at each other and shouted, "Lasagna! With lots of cheese."
Flynn chuckled and nodded. He looked to Tyr and asked, "Are you eating over?"
"I can't, I have practice tonight for the qualifiers. Maybe next time." Tyr shrugged.
"Another time." Flynn sat down next to Tyr and watched as his sisters each tried to get Nymph's attention. When Molly was beat out by Tara, she looked over at Flynn and flew over.
"Flynn! Did you hear, did you hear?" She jumped on his legs and started bouncing on his hips.
"Hear what?" He smiled, his arms out so Molly wouldn't fall over.
"We got a new kitten."
"You did?" He inquired, a little jealous since his parents wouldn't let him have any sort of pet.
"Yep, she's a calimico." Molly frowned knowing the word wasn't right, but not sure what the word actually was.
"You mean a calico?" Tyr offered.
"That's the one." She pointed at Tyr with a grin before returning her attention to her brother. "Guess what we named her?"
"Spaz?" Flynn deadpanned causing his sister to laugh.
"Nope. Scorch! Like the kitty in your drawings." The girl gave a large smile thinking she had done something great.
Flynn felt like his insides had just turned to ice, but nonetheless he smiled, "Great name. Why'd you name her that?"
"Cos then it's like you always home." Then she pouted, "You need to come home more."
"I'm sorry." Flynn's face became somber. "I was working a lot so I could come home this summer and during Spring Break. I feel honored you named the kitten after one I drew." A smile was once again restored on her lips.
"Flynn?"
"Yes, Molly?"
"Why mom not look happy when I named her Scorch?" She tilted her head so her long brown hair swished to and fro.
Why indeed. You were and are too young to understand why I lived away in High School. "Because she was an imaginary friend when I was younger." He could feel Tyr's eyes on him and it was making him uncomfortable. "She thought I'd never make friends because I had Scorch, Rico, and Trinity."
"The two people in the pictures?" Flynn nodded. Molly seemed to understand until she looked over at Tyr, "But you have Tyr. You made friends." She argued.
Flynn shrugged, "They were with me longer than made her comfortable." He heard Trinity snicker and Rico push her. "Do you still have Marni?"
Molly made a face, "No. I'm too old for that."
"Are you now?" He grinned with mischief in sparkling in his eyes. "What about this?" He started tickling her, causing her to squeal and flail. Tyr, Nymph, and Tara watched in amusement. Finally Molly settled into his arms where she cuddled into him. She was looking at Tyr with curiosity.
"Tyr?" He looked down at her and waited for her to continue, "What was brother like when he was my age?"
"Um," He looked at her in surprise before thinking. "He was quiet and loved to draw. He was excellent at coming up with adventures for us to go on... And terrible at sports." He winked at her.
"Still is." She whispered loudly.
"Hey!" Flynn pouted.
"But we still love you." She grinned.
"Thanks." He replied wryly before picking her up. "Are you going to help me make supper or do you want to hang out with Nymph?"
"Nymph!" Molly cheered before demanding to be put down. Flynn smiled at Nymph who absolutely adored his sisters and head into the kitchen.
Tyr followed behind him and leaned on the counter watching Flynn take the ingredient out. "You're great with her. Sorry if I embarrassed you."
Flynn looked over, "Oh it's fine, I'm teased all the time by her. She's a spoiled brat!" He said the latter loud enough for her to hear. To which she cried with "Hey!" The two men laughed. "And thanks, I don't see them as much as I'd like to."
"I understand that. I've gotta get going. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Sorry about the disruption."
"Don't worry about it, we got a good portion done." Flynn nodded and walked Tyr out then he continued to make the meal. Two hours later, his apartment was filled with his family and friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
I originally planned for Trinity and Rico to talk, but alas they silently judge.