I'm Just Fine

A Knowin Friend

Flynn was tempted not to go to the library. He paced his room for fifteen minutes freaking out about going to meet up with Tyr. Until now, he had successfully avoided his friend. But with Trinity, Rico, and even scorch yelling at him to just go, he finally walked out of his room and left. He didn't let himself think about what he was doing until he sat down and put his laptop on the table. He looked at his phone to see he still had ten minutes before Tyr was suppose to show. He couldn't wait that long.
Finally he got up and went in search for some book for his other classes. He still had to do research for his biology class which was due in two weeks. He should really get on that..
When he walked back, he slowed as his heart beat faster. Flynn could hear his blood pounding in his ears with each step he took. Rico kept reminding him to breathe in and out slowly so he wouldn't hyperventilate. When he arrived at the table he silently sat with his head down; curls covering his eyes.
Tyr looked up from the book he was reading to see Flynn sitting down. He held his breath unsure of how to broach the topic. Tyr was still uncomfortable with what happened but he was also a firm believer that Flynn was still the same person he had gotten to know over the last few weeks. Honestly not much had changed between the man that sat across from him now and the kid he knew all throughout grade school. Only difference was that there was an actually explanation as to why Flynn's imaginary friends never left. He still remembered all the times Flynn would get pissed off at still having them, yell at Tyr, and then start crying for said yelling.
When Flynn still didn't look up from his lap, Tyr asked, "Does this make you a super genius when it comes to Physics? Because if you are, you are seriously wasting your smarts on Psychology." Flynn's head jerked up in surprise and confusion. It took him a moment to realize the joke and he burst out laughing. His face literally hit the table. "Shit dude! Are you okay?" Tyr stood up unsure if he should go over or not.
"I'm good." Flynn sat up, still laughing a little. He fixed his glasses before saying, "No I'm nowhere close to being Dr. Nash smart." He bit his lower lip and lowered his eyes. "Ah Tyr?"
"Yeah?"
"S-sorry for not, you know saying anything. I thought you'd be weirded out or something and I..." Flynn couldn't finish.
"You what?"
"I-I... I was afraid you'd leave. Be freaked out. I don't know..."
"Flynn." Flynn lifted his eyes again with a sullen look on his face. "No offense but your friends are a lot weirder than you and I like them just fine. I've known you were a little... different since we were six. It just explains a few things."
Flynn nodded, hand moving in a spiral design. "Have any questions? I don't mind answering them."
Tyr sat down and tapped his leg with his finger. "Summer of freshman year... you disappeared. Was it- Was it because of...?"
"My dad caught me talking to Rico and I went in for tests to figure out what was wrong with me. I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia and my parents decided it was best for me to go to Bernard's for school."
"You never wrote." Flynn almost didn't catch the words because of how soft they were.
Flynn pulled a leg up and hugged it. "Freshman year is a blur. I honestly don't remember much and have no idea how I passed. I was on some medicine that made me depressed and uncaring. They 'worked' because I no longer saw Trinity, Rico, or Scorch, but... But I didn't really 'see' anything anymore. I stopped drawing. I stopped talking for the most part. I sat in a haze. I vaguely remember thinking how grey the world was. It was a fleeting thought and next thing I knew I was once again staring at the wall thinking of... nothing. They switched my medicine because my parents complained about how lethargic I was. I was all but a shell... a robot. But once I switched I had pockets of energy. I painted maybe five minutes a day. That's about as much energy as I could muster. It was in those instances that I broke through the shroud and decided I didn't want to live like that. I knew the world was better than the one I was living in. When they switched my prescription for a third time I started weening myself off of them all together. It took a while but by the middle of sophomore year I was off them completely. By then I could actually function like I used to.
"By the time I was able to think it felt like too much time had passed... and I didn't know how to tell you. I figured you still lived at your old house but everything had changed. I was living at a fucking mental institute and I-I just couldn't tell you. I realize how stupid that was but I was scared. I was still trying to deal with the fact I had Schizophrenia and trying to navigate through high school with kids similar to me. I don't want it to seem like you weren't worth my time but by the time I was comfortable with myself we were going off to college and..." Flynn shook his head. "And I didn't know how to talk to you anymore. I figured you were better off remembering me as your weird childhood friend rather than your crazy childhood friend."
"Should have had more faith in be Flynn." Tyr nudged Flynn's foot. "I missed you a lot. First year of high school was terrifying without you."
"I'd say I know the feeling but honestly I never got to experience the fear." Flynn gave a wry grin. "Funny part was, I'm pretty sure I was bullied that year but they gave up because I didn't give a shit."
Tyr rolled his eyes, "That's the story of your life."
"Tis not!" Flynn pouted, "You were basically my knight in shining armor. Kids didn't bother me because they liked you and the one time they did you threatened them."
Tyr snorted, "Anything for you, Flynn. You're my best friend, of course I'd stick up for you."
Flynn turned red, "Ah thanks." He didn't miss how Tyr used the present tense for the 'best friend' part, but didn't comment. "Though now being my friend mus bore you. No one's trying to bully me now." Tyr paused a moment before barking out a laugh.
"Only a little. But you also aren't the scrawny little kid I knew way back when. When'd that happen?"
"When Marty needed an outlet other than punching someone in the face. I'd go with him and he'd teach me how to properly work out. We both benefited."
"Must have gotten you some girls... guys."
Flynn shrugged, "I guess, but nothing serious."
Tyr looked scandalized, "Are you telling me innocent little Flynn was a playah? Le gasp."
"Shut up!" Flynn laughed as he lightly kicked Tyr. "Not a complete player. I had flings with a few people. It wasn't like that."
"Then how was it like." Tyr leaned forward.
"When did you become a gossip girl?"
"Since I found out you actually got some. Tell!"
"Oh lord you're almost as bad as Nymph." Flynn groaned.
"How's he as bad as Nymph?" Trina asked sauntering over to the table. She sat on top of it, ankles crossed.
"He's trying to get me to gossip... about myself!"
"Which part?" She turned to look at Tyr.
"His player high school self." He grinned. "But he keeps avoiding."
"Oh it was cute. All he had to do was talk to someone for a minute and they were willing to go down on him. Many girls offered because he rocks the adorable geek. Some still do."
"Trina!" Flynn groaned as his forehead hit the table.
"Don't be dramatic. Out of all of us you were the most chivalrous with the lowest sex count. Well excluding Malia, she ranks lower than you. And you have nowhere as many as Nymph."
"Nymph is also a Nymphomaniac. She can't exactly help that."
"She's working on it though."
"How do you work on something like that?" Tyr asked. He didn't know much about the disorder.
"Counseling mostly." Trina shrugged. "But we aren't here to talk about Nymph," She turned to look at Tyr, "What about you Mr. Star Point Guard? How was your high school experiences?"
Tyr leaned back, "Like any stereotypical jock I suppose. I was a player and only had a few serious relationships. Mostly they were one night stands or fuck buddies."
"Not surprising." Flynn commented without thinking. Only when he felt Trina and Tyr's eyes did he continue. "I mean you were always popular, you're handsome, and have a great personality as far as I can tell. Of course people would be drawn to you in both a friend and sexual manner."
"Can't deny that." Trina commented.
"You're not a father are you?"
"No!" Tyr denied and then pouted, "I was careful each time."
"Hey, just asking." Flynn up his hands up. "So Trina, what brings you here?"
"Other than to see your beautiful face?" Flynn nodded. "I was seeing if you'd come to my game Thursday. It's against are archenemy for the final spot in the states."
"Of course, I always come." Flynn smiled.
"Great!" She jumped up and kissed his cheek. "Oh and before I go, Friday we're throwing a party. You're coming right?"
"I don't know..." Flynn was never much of a partier.
"Tyr, I charge you with convincing him. I have to go or coach will be pissed. Bye!" She waved before running off.
"Always full of energy." Tyr shook his head. "You should come. I'm sure all your friends will be there and I'll be there."
"I don't know... parties aren't really my thing."
"Why not?"
"Everyone's drunk and I'm not much of a drinker. I just don't find them fun."
"Just this once. We are going to celebrate the men and women's team making it to the state finals."
"We haven't won yet..."
Tyr waved Flynn off, "Oh we'll beat them. Then we'll laugh and party." Flynn still didn't look convinced. "It's themed."
"I may be a geek but that doesn't mean dressing up will get me to go to a party." It totally will make him go to a party.
"It's Fandoms."
Flynn growled. "Okay, I'll go!"
"Knew I could get you." Tyr laughed.
"You suck."
"Only on occasion." Flynn looked at Tyr wide eyed and his face turned beat red. "Oh my god, your face right now." Tyr doubled over in a fit of laughter. Flynn was never going to get that image out of his head now.
"We're never going to get this done."
"Relax, Flynn. We will. We just need one more person to write about and then boom we are ready to present."
"I suppose." A silence fell between then as they continued their work. Flynn yawned a few times before Tyr commented.
"You look tired, we can call it a day if you want."
"It's not that." Flynn leaned back and ran hid fingers through his hair. "I haven't really talked to my mum since... well you know and it's been keeping me up." Tyr nodded. "I think it crushed her to know I'm not... you know, um- I'm not like everyone else. I know she loves me, I mean my high school and childhood can attest to that, but- well, I'm not taking my meds and everything. Everything she thought got crushed into pieces..."
"She'll come around Flynn. I mean if she thought you'd been taking your... meds then you can't be as bad as she thought."
Flynn shrugged. "I think you're taking this too calmly."
Tyr's brows rose in surprise. "Is it really that big of a deal?"
"You're doing a project on it, you tell me."
"Flynn."
"Tyr."
The two looked at each other, Tyr caving first with a sigh. "Some cases are serious but even Dr. Nash lives a relatively normal life without taking medicine. And honestly you are like a hundred times less severe than him. Plus you are still the same person I knew back in grade school and who I re-met in class. Nothing changes that."
"I wish everyone had your view on life." Flynn sighed.
"I'm one of a kind." Tyr grinned.
"That you are. So Mary Todd Lincoln..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Basketball and Parties!