Status: Oneshot

Glasses

Glasses

I woke up this morning, already dreading what lies ahead. Most days my eyes are fine to wear contacts, but on days like these they’re way too dry, so I have to resort to glasses. It’s not that I’m annoyed at the fact I have bad eyesight, I just try to hide it. Despite touring nonstop for years, the guys have only seen me wear glasses once, due to my losing a bet that I wouldn’t be able to last a week without mentioning Home Alone. I had cracked within 20 minutes, but they were so drunk I doubted they even remembered.

Sighing, I reach for the case hidden in the drawer on my nightstand, preparing myself for a bout of teasing remarks over breakfast. I couldn’t stay in my bunk much longer, or Alex would come running in and refuse to leave until we had cuddled. I don’t know what it is with that kid, but he loves to cuddle in the morning.

Before I could access the case, someone yanked back the curtain and I turned my head just in time to see Alex climb into my bunk with a huge grin.
“Jaaaack,” He half whispered, half giggled.
“What?”
“Hi.”
“You’re an immature little shit, Gaskarth, you know that?”
The words came out sounding sharper than I had intended. He turned away with a pretend hurt expression on his face, walking towards the front of the bus to join the others.

“Jack called me an immature little shit!” He yelled, climbing on top of the kitchen counter for no apparent reason. As if that disproved my point. Rian and Zack emerged from their bunks, rubbing their eyes and blinking at the unaccustomed brightness.
“Morning guys.” I greeted them, avoiding Alex’s gaze. He stormed up to me, his lower lip jutting out adorably.

In an attempt to do something, anything that would distract me from falling for his puppy dog face, I quickly turned around and opened the fridge. The only problem was, I still couldn’t see, and accidentally knocked over the shelf, causing its contents to spill onto the floor. Rian and Zack rushed over to help, but Alex merely crossed his arms, a satisfied smirk on his face.
The day had barely started, and he’d already managed to piss me off twice. I stalked back to my bunk, cereal and milk in hand. Naturally, Alex followed me. I wasn’t in the mood to talk to him, and the expression on my face said as much.

Shutting the door that separated our bunks from the rest of the bus, Alex cornered me.
“What do you want, Alex?” I asked wearily.
“I want to know why you’re being so weird.
“Please just leave me alone so I can eat.”
Apparently, “leave me alone” means “climb into my bunk with me and spill milk all over my comforter,” according to Alex.
“Shit, dude, I’m sorry! I’ll go get a towel to clean it up.”
“Forget it! Just leave me alone, for the millionth time! Jesus Christ, Gaskarth, how many times do I have to say it?!”
He backed away, a mixture of hurt and confusion on his face. I hadn’t meant to upset him, but my peaceful morning had been ruined before it had even started because of him. I was already self-conscious about the glasses; why did he have to antagonize me about everything?

The frustration was building up inside me; I couldn’t take it anymore. Great, here come the waterworks. Real mature, Jack.
Once the first tear fell, I was done for. Trying and failing miserably to hide the fact that I was a sobbing mess, I felt Alex’s arms around me.
“Jacky, please tell me what’s going on. We’re best friends, you shouldn’t have to hide anything from me.”
“I-it’s nothing, Alex, really…” I hiccupped.
“Well, we both know that’s a lie, and I’m not leaving until you tell me why you’re so upset.”
Something inside me snapped. “You want to know why I’m so upset?! I’m upset because I have bad eyesight and have to wear glasses, and they look awful on me! I hate the way I look, and I hate the fact that I can’t face even you guys with them on.”

Pushing Alex off my bed, I reached for the case and put them on. They were nothing special, just plain black frames, but they were a constant reminder.
“Jack, why are you so embarrassed about wearing glasses in front of us?”
“B-because, I don’t l-like the way t-they look.” I answered, sniffling lightly, tears on my cheeks from shame.
“Why not? You look adorable. Sexy, even.”

Slowly, his words sunk in, and I looked up curiously.
“Alex, what are you saying…?”
He cut me off with a soft kiss to my lips. Surprised, I kissed back, feeling his lips curve into a smile.

“I’m saying you should wear your glasses more often.”
♠ ♠ ♠
yay for shy! Jack

leave me some comments! feedback is always appreciated :)