I'm Just a Teenage Dirtbag, Baby

Two

I wake up the next morning with a horrible headache and no memory of what happened last night. I roll over, still half asleep, and fling my arm out, hitting something hard which groans when I do. My eyes snap open and I look over at the other side of my bed and see Adam, shirtless and still asleep. “Shit,” I mumble, checking and seeing exactly what I hoped I wasn’t going to see: both of us naked in bed, me with no memory whatsoever of what happened last night. Although, it can’t be good with the position we’re in.

My head drops back on the pillow as I try to sift through my memories to see if I can recall anything that happened last night. Nothing comes to me and I groan, and that wakes up Adam. He lets out a noise that can’t be human, somewhere between a grunt and a moan which sparks a bit of what happened last night. He turns over, facing me, and finally opens his eyes.

His gaze immediately falls on me and his eyes go wide as he searches frantically around for his clothes. “Charlie?” My mom calls up from downstairs. I panic, getting up with the bed sheet wrapped around me and helping Adam get dressed before we get caught.

“Yeah, Mom?” I yell back through my bedroom door as I try to find all my clothes next. Adam glances at me, frantic. I already know what he’s going to ask. “Window,” I say, pointing to the window of my room looking out into the backyard. We’ve fallen asleep enough times in my room after a late night to have a basic escape plan, but the new circumstances seem to fluster us both.

He nods, and gives me one last fleeting look before climbing out the window and into the tree adjacent to the house. I change quickly just as my mom knocks on my door and walks in. “Did you four have fun last night?”

I look at her blankly for a second. Will and Jeff must have worked through the hangovers to clean up downstairs from last night. I nod, smiling innocently and yawn, “Mom, I’d love to talk but I’m still exhausted. We were up talking pretty late last night.” Only half a lie. And I still can’t remember what exactly happened last night.

She smiles and walks out of my room without another question. I fall back on my bed and video call Jeff and Will. I must have woken them both up because they take until the last ring to answer and they’re both complaining once they pick up. “Hey, guys, thanks for cleaning up. My parents think it was just the four of us last night… Jeff you’re looking a little green,” I say hesitantly. He nods and drops his phone, going off the camera’s range, probably into the bathroom to throw up whatever he ate at the party.

“Do you need to talk that loud?” Will asks in a whisper, cradling his head.

“Sorry, Willy,” I whisper back.

“So…what went down last night with you and Adam?” Jeff asks, suggestively once he comes back from brushing his teeth. I groan.

“I wish I could remember exactly. All I know is that something happened and I’d prefer not to talk about the parts that I do remember,” I say, feeling my face heat up.

They both smirk at me and start quietly singing immaturely, “Charlie and Adam layin’ in bed f-u-c-k-i-n-g.” I sigh and facepalm. “You coming to the airport on Wednesday?” Jeff asks.

I lift my head from my hand and think for a second. Do I want to talk to him again after something that could ruin our friendship happened that we both can’t even remember? “I don’t think so, I don’t know if I could face him remembering what happened, let alone recalling next to nothing. I think that would be too much for both of us.”

“You two have been best friends since preschool and you’re gonna let one drunken mistake ruin that long and that perfect of a friendship?”

I sigh but nod, “I gotta go, guys. I’ll see you in school Monday.”

I hang up from the video call and run a hand through my hair, taking a shaky breath as I look at the picture of Jeff, Will, Adam and I on the first day of senior year on my night stand.

I pick up the frame and laugh at the three boys all holding me up, my arms splayed wide as if I’m a model being carted around, Adam holding me up by my shoulders and Jeff at my feet, Will in the middle. Adam and I always were the closest. We didn’t meet Jeff and Will until first grade when we both transferred to school in Charlottetown.

I frown. Last night might have ruined that friendship that had become such a vital part of my life without me even realizing it.