I'm Just a Teenage Dirtbag, Baby

Six

“Will! Jeff!”

They both come into my room, the question in their eyes already readable before Jeff can get it out, “Baby?” He asks. I nod profusely, “Shit! Holy fuck, this is not happening right now, you’re a month early, Aaron!”

They help me out of bed and get me into Will’s car, Jeff calling everyone we need to- even Adam- as we get to the hospital.

I get into my room and they set me up just as Caroline and my parents come rushing in, my dad less enthusiastic than I had hoped. Soon after, Sara comes in just before Adam. He looks disheveled and exhausted, still in a plain t-shirt and plaid pajama bottoms. “We didn’t miss anything?” He asks, running a hand through his hair in an attempt to smooth out the curls. I shake my head, keeping my attention on my breathing and trying not to crush Will’s hand in mine when a contraction hits.

Soon, the doctor is coming in and escorting most people out, “Family and the father only.”

Adam stops, almost proudly saying he’s the father and resuming his spot beside me. “Hell no, if he gets to stay, we get to stay,” Will says dragging himself and Jeff back into the room. “We’re the closest thing to a father that boy’s got.”

Another contraction hits me and they both run to my side, grabbing one of my hands and pushing Adam off to the side in the process.

“Adam can’t miss his own son’s birth, Will, even if he’s been a complete ass about all of this,” I reason. “Just get this baby out of me!”

Caroline passes Jeff her digital camera before walking out of the room and he looks at it like it’s an alien object. Adam takes the opportunity when he sees it and hesitantly grabs the hand that Jeff dropped when he took the camera, giving it a light squeeze, probably in an attempt to comfort me.

The doctor tells me to push right after, though, so I return the gesture to Adam tenfold, him letting out what sounds like a squeal.

-

One of the nurses hands me Aaron once he’s wrapped in a blanket and I sit up slightly, taking him from her and moving the blanket from his face. He has Adam’s eyes and I can already tell he’ll have his father’s smile. I glance at Adam, and see him with that exact smile, looking down at Aaron. “Do you want to hold your son?”

He looks at me, his eyebrows raised and what seems to be a worried expression. I smile and offer Aaron to him, Adam immediately goes and takes him from me, bouncing him around quietly, turning away from me and towards the window in my room I’ll be staying in until I’m discharged, whispering something to him I can’t hear. I turn back towards Will and Jeff and smile, hugging them both and mumbling thank you’s to no end.

“I want to hold my nephew if you don’t mind,” Will says, walking up to Adam and taking Aaron from him once Adam hands him over. After a few minutes with him, Will hands him off to Jeff just as my family and Adam’s comes into my room. Jeff hands Aaron back to me and Will says goodbye for the both of them, “We’ll let you two talk to your family. I’ll be back in an hour okay?”

I nod and hug him with the arm not holding Aaron and he walks out of the room without another word.

“Oh, just let me hold my grandson would you?” My mom says, starting to cry happily. I laugh and hand him off once again as Adam returns to my side, sitting on the edge of the bed.

My mom, after she’s had her turn, hands the baby off to Adam’s mom, cooing to him even once he’s been turned over. Next is the fathers. Adam’s dad takes Aaron almost immediately once his mom gets her chance, mumbling things about how he’ll grow up to be a hockey player just like his daddy.

Then, Aaron’s offered to my dad. He keeps his eyes on him hesitantly then finally gives in and takes the baby, smiling widely when Aaron reaches out and grabs hold of his thumb. Caroline patiently waits her turn and she comes and sits on the other side of me to take the baby. She rocks him back and forth slowly and I can tell she’ll be a good mom when she grows up.

Eventually, a nurse comes back in and takes Aaron to the nursery as Will comes back without Jeff and instead with Sara. Mostly everyone has left except Adam who’s sitting silently in a chair he moved by the window, I can’t see his face, but I would assume he fell asleep.

“Hey, how are you doing?” Sara asks quietly.

“Good, definitely good. I think holding Aaron finally smacked some sense into that boy,” I say, pointing at Adam. He doesn’t move so Will walks over wordlessly and finds him slumped over, asleep.

“I’m shocked you’re not in the same state as him,” Will says once he comes back over. As if on cue, I yawn, and nod, shifting in my bed so I’m laying down. “We’re gonna go see Aaron in the nursery, take a nap.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you guys think in the comments and thanks to my subscribers and to EmilyQuinn14 for the rec!