Princess of Glass

Bay

“Bay, would you say you feel like a hero after the incident?” Mr. Mauve handed me a tissue, and I absently took it. I looked at the floor, but I was in a whole other place in my mind. I absently tugged on the end of my braid and remembered the time in my life when I was with him. I shook my head and tried to make my voice steady.

“No. Sure he was a serial killer, but I didn’t know that when I killed him.” I said strongly looking anywhere but at the man questioning me.

“You were his victim for three months, yet are you saying you feel guilt for killing him?” This made me give Mr. Mauve a hard look.

“Look, I’m not going to say I’m glad he is dead because I’m not. I am going to say I’m glad I am alive and I do feel guilt which is normal for anyone who took a human life. The sick bastard had a four year old daughter who doesn’t understand what a serial killer is and doesn’t understand why her father is gone. She just knows someone killed him. This interview is done. I hope you have enough to finish your book because you will never interview me again.” I unclipping the microphone off of my shirt angrily and threw it at the couch, standing up and stomping away. I should have listened to my dad, it was too soon.

Part of me knew it wasn’t too soon though. I had killed him six months ago, and the media was still going crazy about it. Especially Mr. Mauve who had been harassing me for an interview for the last three months. The book was based on me and Caleb Meyer. The first chapter touched on the other 13 girls. The whole book was based on me yet he hasn’t talked to me until now and he only has the last chapter to write.

It didn’t take me long to get home. After I left the hospital, I lived with my dad and his fiance for about a week before I left and started staying at a hotel. I’ve lived at this hotel since. It has great security and when I arrived, I got a few stares but that was it. I still can barely go grocery shopping without being asked if I’m the girl who killed Murder Meyer.

“Hey Bay.” I smiled at the security guard. He was a couple years older than me, and is a great cook. He made it his personal mission to get me to start eating again, now he comes over every thursday for dinner.

“Hey Lex.” I skipped the elevator and went to the stairs, as always. The elevator made me claustrophobic.

I had one of the best suits in the hotel, the Author suite. Ironic because ever since I met Mr. Mauve I decided I hate authors. The four seasons isn’t cheap, let alone one of the most expensive rooms. I used to be an interior designer before everything happened, so I made good money. On top of that I get paid quite a bit for these interviews, my dad is a surgeon, and when my mom passed she left me quite the trust. I’m well off, and I hated people knowing until of course, the whole world knew.

I was surprised to see a man in a black suit arguing with the owner outside my door when I got upstairs though. I slowly approached them. Although I knew it was unlikely that I would get hit in their small argument, I was still cautious.

“Excuse me, what seems to be the problem?” I asked lightly. The man in the suit turned to me, he was wearing dark sunglasses and had a small white wire connected to his ear piece. He had a gun under his jacket, I could tell from a small wrinkle which made me nervous. He reminded me of the FBI, only I knew he wasn’t. He would have identified himself by now.

“Miss, you are going to need to switch suites for the next month or so.” I raised an eyebrow. The owner, Issy, shook his head.

“Bay, you are fine in your suite. Your client,” He turned back to the man in the suit “Will need to find a different hotel or be fine spending his month in another suite. I have to say, our presidential suite is amazing also.”

“Excuse me?” They both turned to me again. I could already feel myself shaking in nervousness. “Um, who are you? I mean, if you got in with a gun I’m assuming you didn’t sneak it in to shoot everyone but you are really making me nervous.” I felt another presence behind me so I turned around, seeing a man in a designer suit come walking from the stairs. I felt like a cornered dog.

“I’m a security guard for my client ma’am.” I could tell the security guard was trying to figure me out. He knew me from somewhere. I got the look enough to recognise it instantly.

“Sean, What is gods hell is taking so long?” The man who came from the stairs came up and stood next to me, arms crossed. I could tell he was strong, and had power. It made me flinch. It reminded me of how Caleb felt to me. He turned to me and his eyes narrowed. I swallowed, trying to calm myself but I could already feel myself trembling and cowering back a bit. “Are you the problem? Look little girl, how much money will it take to get you out of my suite. Better yet, out of Chicago. I don’t even want you in my city.” He hissed. Issy stepped in.

“Bay cannot leave chicago, she has many court hearings here.” The man rolled his eyes.

“There are plenty of jobs as lawyers elsewear.” I felt my courage building up again, as I realized this was just a grown man throwing a child's tantrum.

“Look, I don’t know you and I’m assuming you don’t know me. My point is, leave me alone. This has been my suite for almost six months. The presidential suite is just down the hall. Issy,” I turned to him. “I’m going to call Lex in ten minutes to get these guys off the property if they are still outside my room. They are disrupting loyal customers, A.K.A. me.” I quickly unlocked my door and stepped inside. When I peeked out ten minutes later, they were gone.