Princess of Glass

Bay

I quickly slipped on a pair of clean jeans and a loose white shirt, leaving my hair wet. The argument from last night was practically forgotten, the usual nightmares washed it away.

I hated wearing makeup ever since Caleb. I knew I was beautiful, and I tried to hide it best I could without looking like a slob. That pretty much meant no slutty clothing, ponytails or braids, and sunglasses. Today however, I felt the need to leave my hair in my natural loose curls and throw on a beanie. I was making tea when there was a knock on the door.

Even though I knew it was the maid, I still looked through the peep hole to make sure there wasn’t someone holding a gun to her head or something. I was surprised to see it wasn’t the maid though, it was the two men from last night.

I went into panic mode. I quickly opened a drawer on a desk and pulled out my handgun. When my therapist said I was mentally unfit to own a gun, I ended up getting one with the serial number scratched off from a sketchy pawn shop. I opened the door a crack and peeked through, tucking the gun into the back of my light wash jeans.

“Bay?” How did he know my name? Sean stood a couple feet back, it was the boss guy that was talking.

“Uh yeah?” I said quietly, still terrified that he was going to bust in and kill me for my room or something.

“Look, my name is Christian. I just wanted to apologize for my behavior last night. I had just gotten off a nine hour flight from paris and was really looking forward to this room. I understand that it is yours and I hope you enjoy it as much as I was planning on it.” Weird. I slipped on a pair of sunglasses and opened the door completely. He looked at me curiously. “What are you hiding from the law? Its hot out and you’re wearing a hat and sunglasses? indoors?” I could tell he had that judgemental thing going on with his voice. I scoffed.

“Look, uh thanks for apologizing but I’m not really looking for friends so.” I started closing the door, Christian stuck his foot in the door so I couldn’t. My eyes widened as my heart started beating. All I could see was Caleb’s face, with his crooked smile looking at me as he took my innocence. I felt the same rush I did when I drew the broken glass across his neck, the warm blood around me. I was seeing red. When Christian took a step into the apartment, the first thing I did was draw my gun and point it at him. The safety was off and I was terrified. It took about a second for Sean to tackle me and call the hotel security. Christian was yelling and people were around me, but I wasn’t listening. I just kept seeing his face.

Soon though, I felt Lex’s familiar arms around me and I was brought back to reality. I was sobbing. He took off my sunglasses and pulled me up. There were a couple other security guards and Christian was yelling at Issy.

“You let psychopaths stay at your hotel! Shit she could have killed me!” Issy looked helpless. I instantly felt guilty, I had caused a scene for Issy, again. This isn’t the first time this happened, the first time was a maid though. Not another guest.

I was trembling, but I stood up and looked to Christian. I somehow, found my voice.

“I’m not a psychopath.” My voice was cracking, showing my fear. “Its not my fault I’m like this, I just am. If you want this room, take it. Just please don’t give Issy a bad review or something.” I said quietly. Lex had his arm around my shoulder, and in that moment I just felt so small and fragile. Christian pinched the bridge of his nose, obviously annoyed and considering things.

“Look, keep the room. I won’t give the hotel a bad review, just stay the hell away from me.” He pointed at me and left, Sean following. I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding and looked to Issy.

“I’m sorry Issy, I didn’t mean to-” He cut me off. “

I know you didn’t. Do you want me to call Edward and have him cancel your interview?” I smiled at Issy, but shook my head. I needed to get these interviews over with. Maybe then I could move on with my life. Soon most of the security left, and it was just me, Lex, and Issy.

“I’ll have Lex drive you to the radio station. They are doing a hero piece on you.” I hated when people did hero pieces on me. Believe it or not, I liked reading the ones where I was called a monster instead of a victim. Thats how I felt anyways. Not to mention when people see me they look at me like I’m a broken down car, I’ve actually been called an attention whore a few times.

“Thanks guys.” I walked over and grabbed my purse. One of the security guards had taken my gun, but they didn’t know about my purse knife and its a good thing too.

The radio interview was horrible. They had a huge cardboard picture of me right next to one of Caleb. I threw up before the interview seeing it, and the whole time I sat there staring at it. Behind it there was a glass wall, where people were screaming and holding signs, like I was some sort of celebrity.

I was asked the same questions that other interviews had asked. ‘What happened?’ ‘How do you feel?’ ‘Do you feel like your life has changed?’ ‘Do you feel like a hero for killing?’ I got the same feeling afterwards, the same feeling I always get after hero pieces. Disgust. I am disgusting, especially since people idolize me.

The highlight of my day though was getting the new issue of Luxe, interior design. Even though I wasn’t working I still loved looking at other peoples creations. I climbed the stairs all the way to the top of the building, which is usually my workout for the day since I live on the 46th floor and started flipping through my magazine. Me being me though, I tripped. I let out a quick squeak as someone caught my arm. I looked up and felt my cheeks flush as I saw Christians glare.

“Be more careful.” He said firmly, reaching down to pick up my magazine. I steadied myself on the railing.

“Right, uh thanks. I’ll go leave you alone now.” I tried to hurry away but his voice stopped me.

“Why are you taking the stairs? We are on the 46th floor.” Because the elevator is the size of the room he kept me in.

“I need the exercise. Believe it or not I was 150 pounds when I got here.” Lie, who cares.

“What happened this morning?” I paused and turned so I was actually facing him. “I mean, I’ve been trying to wrap my head around it all morning and I don’t understand why you tried to kill me.” I felt angry. I am a killer, he didn’t know me yet he could see it.

“Last night you weren’t exactly nice. For all I know you could have been coming in to kill me for my room.” Not exactly a lie.

“Well I’m sorry for scaring you. You don’t have to completely avoid me, I mean, we are neighbors we are bound to run into one another. Just.” He paused. “Just don’t kill me, okay?” I could tell the last part was a joke by the way he cracked a smile and ran a hand through his already pushed back hair. My throat was dry, so I just nodded.

“Bye Christian.” I said quietly. He smiled.

“Bye Bay.”