Princess of Glass

Bay

The best part about living alone and not working is all the time I have to myself. My therapist told me that its normal for victims to become buried in their work, and to not let that happen to me. To make sure I faced my problems head on.

At the time we obviously didn’t know each other too well because soon after she learned that I had no intention of working for a long time. I liked the silence, I never had silence before now. I had never felt such peace before.

The only noise in the room was the ticking of the clock and the sound of my slow breaths, which made things perfect.

I never relieved the experiences I had with Caleb in my free time. I saved that for therapy sessions and on the rare occasion when I agreed to an interview. My therapist suggested keeping a blog, which I did. Only it was anonymous. Not exactly what she had in mind but it worked the same.

I talked about Bay Harper. About how she was an aspiring interior designer who got kidnapped and turned into a monster in three short months. I found it almost funny when I got replies from my followers about how they loved me but disagreed on how I viewed Bay. Bay was a hero and I was a coward hiding behind a computer. If only they knew.

I also got the rare occasion when people agreed with me. Most of them were teenagers who wished they lived in a different era, where there was tie dye and peace rallies. I got a few people from that era who held on to the dying breed and I got a few average, normal people who agreed that Bay Harper was a sweet girl until that man turned her into a monster.

In reality though, I enjoyed killing him. I would never admit that in a petty interview but his expression when I cut his throat, and the feeling of his blood spilling all over me was one of the best things I had ever felt.

A knock on my door interrupted my silence. I groaned and cracked the door. I was equally annoyed when I saw Christian standing on the other side of the door with donuts.

“Morning sunshine.” He said at me through the crack. I quickly grabbed a pair of sunglasses and tucked my hair in my hood and opened the door. He offered me the bag of donuts. “May I come in?” I stepped aside abruptly, letting him know I wasn’t happy he was here with my body language. I was sick of the pity, but part of me was also terrified of him.

“I’m making fried green tomatoes if you would like some.” I tried to make my voice sound loud, but it turned out sounding more quiet than anything. He nodded and sat down at the breakfast bar. I flinched when he sat down. He should have asked if he could sit.

Realizing how ridiculous I sounded, I got out the ingredients to start cooking. He chatted lightly about himself and his company, and I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. Not because he was attractive or anything like that, but because every time I turned my back to him I felt like he was going to grab me from behind and hit me over the head. I hated when people were behind me.

“You should definitely come see the Montgomery Inc. office building though. I know offices don’t sound too fun but its super interesting there and the people are really nice. If you are ever in manhattan let me know and I’ll definitely give you a tour.” He was using one of those charming smiles that made girls swoon but ever since Caleb, I was immune to good looks because I didn’t notice good looks. I don’t even know what good looks are anymore. I clicked my tongue and stared at him, an awkward silence falling between us. Finally, I gathered my nerves and replied.

“Yeah, I don’t think I’ll ever go to manhattan.” I turned back to the fried tomatoes, peeking over my shoulder at him every now and then to make sure he hadn’t moved.

“What are you doing today?” He asked lightly, eating one of the powdered donuts he had brought. The powder was falling onto the counter and I tried to not let it bother me. I paused again before answering hesitantly.

“Uh, nothing.” He beamed.

“Good, then we can go out and what not.” I rolled my eyes, of course he didn’t see behind my sunglasses.

“I don’t think so. I like doing nothing, it gives me peace.” I tapped on my head. “up here.” He rolled his eyes.

“Come on, we can go shopping in town or you can show me to some tourist attractions…” He dragged on. That pissed me off, I wasn’t his fucking tour guide.

“Uh sure.” I squeaked out. I was pathetic. I couldn’t even stand up for myself anymore.

“Great, do you want to get ready or?” I pushed some food onto a plate for myself and him, and slid it across the counter to him. I shook my head.

“Why would I need to get ready? I look fine.” He laughed.

“You look like you are about to rob a bank with those sunglasses and that hood. Don’t you want to curl your hair and do your makeup or something?” I could tell he didn’t want to be seen with me if I looked like a wreck, which is basically what he was saying I looked like. Not that I cared though, its not my fault that he is ignorant.

“I look fine.” Christian stuck his fork in his mouth and started chewing so he couldn’t respond. I sighed, frustrated. If he wanted my company, he would have to accept me as I was. Although, a small part of me thought that maybe his company would be good. I sighed again, and took down my hood letting my brown curls fall over my shoulders. He glanced up at me and just sat there staring at me. His expression was blank which made me nervous. Finally he cleared his throat.

“You’re right, you do look fine.” He smiled and brought his plate to the sink, smiling and offering me his hand. “Come on then, lets go.”

Avoiding the paparazzi was hard, but we managed to do it. Christian seemed somewhat annoyed though and him annoyed made me extremely nervous. Leaving with him was a bad idea. Finally, we were standing outside the art institute of Chicago. He gave me a curious look.

“A museum? This really isn't a tourist attraction but okay.” I rolled my eyes.

“It is to people with culture.” I surprised myself by standing up to him, and based on his expression I had surprised him too. “They have American Gothic here.” I squeaked out. He raised his eyebrow at me.

“What that? I feel like I have heard of it before.” I shrugged.

“Just a painting. Come on.” I led Christian around the museum like he was a lost puppy. I had been here so many times though, read the plaques in front of the art explaining who the artist was and what the piece meant, I knew where I was going. I showed him my favorite paintings, only talking when he asked me a question about them or why they were my favorites. I gave him short answers and nudged him towards a crowd of people. This made him perk up. I could tell he wasn’t having much fun.

“Whats over there?” He asked excitedly. I could tell he liked people, and he liked attention. I nodded towards the people.

“American Gothic.” I offered him a small smile and nudged him towards the crowd. He smiled and started fighting his way forward to see it. I stayed behind. I hated being in crowds.

“Excuse me miss, we’ll need you to take off your sunglasses.” I turned to face the security guard, his name was Mack.

“Its just me.” I smiled weakly, he looked shocked.

“Sorry Bay, I didn't recognize you with your hair all done up like that.” What they considered done up, I considered air dried. His words make me instantly feel like throwing my hood over my head, but the small part of me that kept me strong kept me from covering myself up again. “Well I’m going to do rounds. Enjoy yourself Bay.” He gave me a warm smile and walked away. I always got along with the security.

“Why didn’t you tell me that the it was the creepy couple with the pitchfork! I would have known exactly what you were talking about then.” I surprised myself by smiling and rolling my eyes. Him being a bit of an idiot makes me laugh.

“How is it that you own and run a multi-billion dollar company yet you don’t know what american gothic is?” I asked lightly. He scrunched up his nose, confused.

“What does running a business have to do with some painting?” He asked. I just shook my head and laughed instead of responding. Common knowledge, thats what it has to do with it. I didn’t know people didn’t know what American Gothic was. I thought everyone knew what american gothic was.

After that, we left the museum. I led him to a small hole in the wall place that I started going to when I first got here. Lex showed it to me, after he found me bawling my eyes out before everywhere I went people wouldn’t leave me alone.

The door rang as we walked into the pasta shop and an old man smiled at us, his cheeks warm. His name was Lupo, when he started recognizing me since I came into the shop so much, he introduced himself.

“Bay! How are you darling, what can I get you and your friend today?” His italian accent was thick, it took me awhile to get used to it.

“I’m doing good, thanks for asking. I’ll get spaghetti and he’ll have the same.” I led us to my usual table, he sat across from me.

“How did you know I wanted spaghetti?” He asked. I laughed.

“They have a total of three things on the menu and although their burgers and chicken strips are horrible, their spaghetti is amazing. They hand make the noodles out back.” I nodded my head out the window towards a shack.

It became quiet and I started getting uncomfortable again, questioning myself. Why was I here, why would I take him here? He was smiling to himself and looking out the window at the woods around us. My pulse started picking up. The only ones in the shop were me, him, an old couple in the smoking section of the cafe and Lupo. Maybe a chef, probably not. We were secluded, it wouldn’t be hard for Christian to take me and nobody to know what happened to me.

“Bay are you okay?” Christians voice brought me back to reality, his eyes filled with concern. My breathing was irregular and my pulse was all over the place. I gripped the edge of the table to keep myself from shaking. “just breathe Bay.” Christian started taking deep breaths, I started taking them with him. Soon, I was calm again. I burried my head in my hands.

“Sorry.” I muttered. He placed his hand on my shoulder, I tensed under it.

“What just happened.” I looked up giving him a weak smile.

“I’m really screwed up Christian.” I gave him the truth, just not the one he was looking for. Hell though if I’m going to put the idea of kidnapping in his head. That wont be me.

“Two spaghetti’s for the lovely lady and her handsome bo.” Lupo came out, sliding a plate in front of each of us. He glanced at me and gave me a small smile. “I’ll grab you a coffee Bay, on the house.” I nodded and he left, leaving me burried in my own head again.

“Please distract me.” I asked Christian. Honestly, when I get like this the best thing to do is to keep busy.

Christian spent the rest of the afternoon sitting across from me in the small cafe chatting about everything. He had a dog named noodle when he was younger, him moms name is patrice and she died when he was nineteen. When he made his first million he celebrated by eating mcdonalds which he hasn’t had since then. I learned quite a bit of useless information about Christian.

When I finished eating, Christian smiled and pulled out cash, throwing it on the table. He gave me a warm smile.

“You know I can pay for my own right?” I asked. He nodded.

“Well I’m paying for you so yeah.” I shook my head at his stupid reply.

“Why?” I asked again. He shrugged.

“I’m the guy, I’m supposed to pay.” I rolled my eyes.

“This isn’t a date.”

“I never said it was.” he had a goofy smile which just annoyed me. He then changed the subject. “You know what a really good distraction is? Movies.” I shook my head.

“Not really, my therapist suggested movies but I always end up zoning out.” I stood up and slipped on my jacket. He did the same.

“You obviously haven’t seen a good enough movie then, have you seen Safe Haven?” I wanted to laugh at his movie choice, seeing as the movie is a chick flick. I smirked a bit.

“You do realize how much abuse and violence is in that movie, right?” His face went to completely shocked, and then he started appologizing.

“Shit I’m so sorry I didn’t even think about-” I cut him off.

“Don’t worry about it. Surprisingly violence in movies doesn’t make me think of Caleb too much.” Mentioning him does though.

I squeezed my eyes closed, trying to push the memory of him away, it didn’t work.

“Jasper, please just put it on.” Caleb begged. I stared at the cloth that covered my eyes, wishing it was gone. I swear, my pulse hasn’t gone down since I had been taken.

“I told you, my name is Bay!” I yelled. My throat was dry from screaming, my eyes hurt from the blindfold, and I was starving. As if on cue, my stomach let out a low growl. I could hear the smile in Caleb's voice.

“Jasper, put on the gown yourself and I’ll get you dinner.” It felt like days since I had eaten, and I could tell I was getting light headed. Before I knew what I was doing, I nodded my head. Tears had soaked the blindfold but to say when he took if off it felt amazing would be a lie. It was the first time I had seen to room I had been kept in and I was surprised with how small it was. six by twelve feet maybe. The walls were made of logs and the only thing other than the bed I was chained to was a chair where Caleb sat. Folded on the foot of the bed was a white gown, and after he untied me slowly slipped it on. Tears streamed down my face the entire time.


“Bay.” Christians voice brought me back to reality as I stared into his eyes. his hands were on either side of my head. I could feel the tears on my cheeks. His hot breath was fanning my face and I could smell his masculine cinnamon scent.

“I’m fine Christian, don’t worry.” I smiled reassuringly.