Sequel: Fallen Embers

The Fire

Introductions

Sabrina looked toward the elevator, "You guys remember what's it like to carry shit into a gig, or are you too famous now to roadie?" she asked with a smile and her eyebrow raised.

Mike responded by walking into the elevator and pulled an amp out and started rolling it toward the ballroom. The rest grabbed various items and Sabrina led the way through the door. "Hey did someone need some more roadies?" she shouted to the group of men unwrapping cords and setting up stands.

A rather large man who looked like he was the winner to a Bluto look a like contest started to bitch about strangers handling his band stuff, but upon recognizing the voice closed his mouth and smiled at the woman playing roadie. "Hey kid, how are you doing?" He said as Sabrina placed the equipment on the ground. He grabbed her in a bear hug and ruffled her hair.

"Dammit Mike, I'm fucking almost 45, you can quit calling me kid." She smiled as she hugged the big man back.

Mike looked over her shoulder to the three men carrying in more stuff. "Who are these guys?"

The small man who was unwrapping cords came up to where Sabrina and Mike were standing. "Hey Mike that's Green Day. We play one of their songs." the guitar player said.

"Hi Nick, it's good to see you." Sabrina said while giving the small man a hug. "I forgot you sing Basketcase Nick."

"Basketcase? Which one is that?" Mike asked trying to remember the song.

"The one where it talks about sometimes I give myself the creeps, sometimes my mind plays tricks on me. The really fast one." Nick supplied his lead singer.

"Oh yea, the one that has the cool bass line, that Ronnie likes to play."

Upon hearing his name, Ronnie came over to hug Sabrina. "Damn old man, you still sober?" she asked her old friend.

"Yup, I am coming up on 10 years this August." he replied.

"Great, Ronnie. I am so glad. I see that you have your handy dandy coffee maker set up already" She laughed.

"Well yea, can't count on the booze hounds to remember to keep coffee on."

"God Bless Miss Sanders." spoke a new voice which came from a lean man carrying some drums bags.

"Mr. Johnson." Sabrina smiled as she went over to grab some of the bags from him. "And it's Miz Wright now JJ, I got married" she said as she flashed her ring to the group.

"Well I be damned, who the hell was crazy enough to do something like that." JJ laughed

"Me" said Tre as he stepped up to shake his fellow drummer's hand.

"Okay guys let me introduce everyone." Sabrina replied. "Okay this is Tre who plays drums and is my hubby and this is Mike the bassist and that is Billie Joe guitars, singer, songwriter who as Nick already said, they make up the band Green Day." she said as she turned toward the other band. "This is Mike, Nick, Ronnie, and JJ and they make up the Sam Pallet Band. And once again the horns are late." The woman laughed.

"Horns?" asked Billie

"Yes there is a 3 piece horn section which along with these guys make up the Sam Pallet Big Band." Sabrina explained.

"Jeff is coming too." Mike said

"Whooohooo and a fiddle player also, great we can hear some Charlie Daniels the way we were meant to hear it." Sabrina clapped.

"Oh Sabrina, Kenny is playing trumpet tonight since Emmett is in town too."

"Emmett is in town, damn drummers, they don't tell you anything."

"Who's Emmett and why is he a damn drummer?" Tre asked looking confused.

"Oh I forgot you guys haven't met my band yet. Emmett is my drummer who I meet when he was 14 through his father Kenny who played trumpet with these guys. I 'Stole' Emmett when he was 16 way back in 1985 when I needed a band for solo projects. Actually all of my band has played with these guys at one time or another. I meet these guys first and then after talking with them about musicians I meet the guys from my band." Sabrina explained quickly.

"Yea, we still haven't forgiven her for stealing Emmett." Mike growled.

"Hey I did you a favor, Emmett is a typical drummer, not unlike that one over there." Sabrina gestured to her husband. "He would have driven you crazy before too long. Besides you have JJ, who is much calmer." the woman chuckled.

They musician fell into an easy banter about music while carrying in the rest of the band equipment. Before too long the band was completely set up and they stood around talking shop. A tall thin man came into the room and looked around. Upon seeing Sabrina he came over and hugged her.

"Hi Al, how are you doing today? Getting everything in order for tonight?"

"Everything is coming along, how are your rooms Sabrina? Is everything set for you?"

"Perfect Al, once again, thanks for squeezing us in at last minute."

"Anything for you Sabrina. Your table is there right by the band and when its time to open doors, Betty my wife will be seating people so she'll let you go right through so you don't have to wait."

"Damn celebrities." JJ chuckled at his old friend.

Sabrina turned to look at him and went to say something smart but opted for saying something different. "Is Laura coming tonight JJ?"

"Yes she is driving down with Laurie and Katie Lee. I should have known that you would show up tonight, since I knew you were in town. Laura told me about the remodelling your doing at the Farm."

"Laura, the interior decorator is his wife?" Mike asked.

"Yup, I totally believe in keeping money local when doing things. Hell she remodelled half of the house when I wasn't home." laughed Sabrina. "Just like I hire this band 2 times a year for company parties at the Farm. They play our summer BBQ and our Christmas party each year."

"Sabrina agrees with us that DJs must die." Mike announced.

"Well not ALL DJs, only the ones they can't play bass." Sabrina replied while looking pointedly at the Green Day bassist. Mike blushed at the kind words from Sabrina.

After a few more minutes talking Sabrina and her group took their leave of the Sam Pallet Band. "Hey Mike, have Laurie stop by room 200 when she gets in."

"So you are the ones who took our rooms." Mike growled again at the woman.

"Yup and proud of it too. Actually 200 is the kid's rooms, and 202 is ours, 204 is Billie's and 206 is Mike's."

"Kids? You brought kids here." Mike said with a smile.

"Yes, Tre brought two wonderful children with him when we got married, also there is Billie's two boys and Michael's daughter. They are all set to enjoy a night without parents playing video games, watching TV and eating pizza, chips and soda."

"Well, we are going to go to our rooms until its time for sound check." Mike proclaimed as he started toward the door.

"DJ remember to tell your mother to knock on room 200 when she gets here. You're dad will probably forget by then." Sabrina chuckled.