Sequel: Fallen Embers

The Fire

Mort’s Road Kill Café

A day later found Sabrina in Oakland, California. She was living in the house with Tre that he shared with Claudia and Frankito. Tre and the boys went back into 880 Studios to continue on writing new material which left Sabrina to her own devices during the day and most of the night until he returned home. As much as Sabrina loved Claudia, she yearned for her own place.

Sabrina took the free time she had to explore Oakland, Berkeley and the City by the Bay. She found herself eating lunch almost everyday at Rudy's Can't Fail Café in Emeryville. She was there so much that she got to know the afternoon/evening hostess Charlotte quite well. When Charlotte would see Sabrina pull in driving her convertible Geo Tracker, she would have the older blonde's favorite table readied with a Diet Pepsi by the time she got in the door.

During the second week of January Sabrina came in and Charlotte had to get another place setting. Toby had flown up to Oakland to visit his family and have some face time with Sabrina. The two friends went to Sabrina's 'table' and sat down to discuss business over lunch.

"Enjoying yourself here?" Toby asked.

"For the most part, Tobe. I think I am getting antsy and need to get back into the studio and do something productive. I getting bored with not having anything to do. I mean I am spending some great quality time with Frankito, but I want to be creative again."

"So how is it living in the same house as Tre's ex-wife?"

Sabrina grimaced at her friend. "I love Claudia, but I feel like a guest. I mean she has made me feel more than welcomed, but still, I feel like I have to ask to do things like make dinner and such. I guess I'm not used to sharing a home. I think I'm going to start looking for a place of my own, a place that Tre and I can start our own memories in." she sighed.

"You want me to get some realtors looking? You know that is in my job description." laughed Toby. "Actually my Mom's friend is a realtor here in town, she'll treat you right and not over charge you because of who you are."

"Yea Tobe, that's what I was afraid of. Use our legal names; Frank and Sabrina Wright which is much less obvious than Tre Cool and Sabrina Sanders. I'm looking for something as close as possible to Tre's house now. I want it to make it as easy as possible for Frankito to see his daddy."

"Not a problem. Remember Sabrina I was your personal assistant for how many years before you promoted me. I'm the all around manager, I can do it all." He replied as he started digging into the salad that the waitress placed in front of him.

They munched on their greens for a while until Sabrina broke the silence. "Hey Tobe, what studios are around here. I thought about the possibility of recording here rather than at the farm. I can fly the guys up from LA each day and then that way they can be home at nights in their own beds."

"Already taken care of Sabrina." Toby said with a gleam in his eye as Sabrina gave him a surprised look. "I took the liberty of contacting 880 studios about available space, and low and behold there is an opening, and we have an appointment in an hour to take a tour of the space to see if it will work."

Sabrina shook her head at the self satisfied look that Toby had on his face. "And THAT is why I pay you the big bucks. You know me WAY too well, old friend. If you ever decided to take on someone else to manage, I would be devastated. I wouldn't know whether to shit or go blind without your constant guidance."

"Hell Sabrina, you pay me so much that its not WORTH taking on another client. Besides, who else could I work for where I have tons of time off and STILL receive a paycheck. Shit for a while there I was only doing about 30 to 40 hours worth of work a month when you disappeared there for a few years. Damn cushy job I have."

They stopped for a moment while the waitress came back with their burgers. The conversation continued as they dug into their meals.

"Okay, you have the Golden Globes coming up on the 16th of this month. Do you want a stylist to dress you? A few have contacted me about it." Toby said while in between bites.

Sabrina thought for a moment as she chewed her burger. After swallowing and taking a sip from her soda she answered. "Well actually, I was toying with the idea of having Adeline Street clothes dress me. I mentioned it to Adie to see what she thought, and she said she would love to dress me. What do you think? Plus it would help get the label name out there."

"Sounds good boss. I have seen Adie at award shows and she's 'turned out' quite nicely. You want me to officially arrange it?"

"Yea go ahead, that way its through the proper channels. I was thinking of letting her dress me for all the shows this season. Right now I have 3 shows this season so far, The Globes, Grammys, and Oscars, and not mentions anything else that gets scheduled."

"Oh I took the liberty and already talked with the band, and they think it's great to work closer to home by the way."

Sabrina laughed at Toby knowing her every move. He took that moment to make the phone call to Adeline Street clothing about requesting that they dress Sabrina for award show season. While Toby spoke on his phone, "Dominated Love Slave" bellowed out of Sabrina's. Toby cocked an eyebrow at the song, while Sabrina flipped it open to answer it.

"Mort's Road Kill Café, You kill 'em and we grill 'em."

"Hmmm, I have a fresh skunk here, can you grill it while not losing any of its wonderful stink, I mean flavor?" a familiar voice laughed.

"I dunno, I can check my Great-Gran Pappy's recipe, but I can't say for sure if the 'flavor' will stay." she retorted.

"YUCK, never mind. Do you have sushi?"

Sabrina laughed into the phone. "Maybe later you can have some when you get home."

"Damn... Let's go home now then." she heard her husband growl sexily.

"You do have work to do my sex crazed man of mine. You know, new material for the new album."

"Fine, be that way woman, damn you're tough." he chuckled. "I just called to say hello while we are grilling lunch out here in the parking lot. What are you doing?"

"I am eating here at Rudy's with Toby. We're having a lunch meeting and planning my life for the next year or so. I think he's trying to sell me into the sex trade as a slave, but I'm not really sure."

"Put me on speaker phone woman, I'll tell him or help him."

"Ummm no way Tre, my god, everyone in the café would hear you. So you said you guys were grilling lunch outside?" Sabrina said trying to switch Tre's gears from sex to something more tame.

"Oh yea, we are outside a lot. We have go-carts and shit hanging around, we often take over the parking lot. Believe it or not, but Billie is grill chef today."

"He can cook? Damn. Where can I get a job like yours, you get to eat and play music and play with toys. Sign me up!"

"I'll give you something to sign baby... HEY WAIT GIVE ME MY PHONE BACK..." Sabrina heard the sounds of someone grabbing the phone away from Tre and Tre's protests to that. She laughed when she heard another familiar voice start speaking into the stolen phone.

"Kiss me I'm the cook baby!"

"Ewww Billie Joe germs."

"Hey that's not what Tre says, and remember lips that touched mine, touches yours." He suggested back to the woman. "Hey keep Tre back, I'm having phone sex with his woman." she heard Billie shout off of the phone.

"Hey Billie as much as that is tempting, phone sex with you I mean, but I have to get going. Tell Tre I love him and will talk to him later."

"Hey Tre, your wife says that she wants to have phone sex with me and she'll talk to you later."

"Bye Billie" Sabrina said as she quickly snapped the phone shut. She looked at her manager who was giving her a strange look.

"Phone sex with Billie? Hell I would've have done that Sabrina, you should have handed me the phone." Toby exclaimed.

"Hell, he probably would have gone through with it Toby. Maybe next time." she said with a wink.

Toby looked at his watch as he spoke "Hey we need to get going if we are going to make our appointment. I'll get lunch woman, since this was business related."

"Which means, in the end, I'll really pay for it since you'll submit it as a business expense." she replied laughing. "Let's make it simpler and I'll just pay for it now." she snorted.

She caught Charlotte's eye and placed two twenty dollar bills on the table before following Toby out the door. Charlotte walked over to pick the money and cash out the tab. She liked when Sabrina came in to eat since she always tipped extremely well. Charlotte always made sure that the wait staff got rotated when waiting on Sabrina so there were no hard feelings between them, to share the wealth so to speak. She watched Sabrina and her manager drive out of the parking lot to continue out their day.