Sequel: Fallen Embers

The Fire

Goodbye to You

The summer went came and went with Sabrina living on the west coast. Slowly but surely she started attending Hollywood events and parties. When ever she went she wore exactly what she wanted to wear each and every time. The press started to notice this and swarmed her wherever she went. Sabrina did her best to avoid answering any questions regarding the Derringer band. She avoided Rick Derringer at most of the events, and soon questions were swirling around about a band breakup.

By the end of July, Sabrina could no longer avoid Derringer since Live 8 was coming up in August and Derringer was invited to play, since they at played at Live Aid in Philadelphia all those years ago. Sabrina was just a ‘hired gun’ in Derringer, so she was informed via lawyers that the band was scheduled to play in Berlin and that she could arrange her own transportation overseas. Sabrina decided that she and Toby would fly together and fly home as soon as the concert was over. The only reason Toby agreed to go was that Green Day was playing Berlin also.

Upon arriving backstage at the event, people were everywhere. All the music acts were mingling around speaking with each other. Press was everywhere trying to get as many interviews as possible. Security escorted Sabrina and Toby to where the rest of the Derringer band was waiting. The band themselves knew the tension and the relationship that Sabrina and Rick had with each other. They liked Sabrina and never had any ill will toward her and they greeted her with smiles when she walked up. They all knew that Derringer band was a dictatorship and Rick was the leader by force.

As Sabrina waited quietly for Rick to appear she felt something hit the back of her head. She thought she was imagining it so she ignored it until something hit her again. As she turned around to look there was a high pitched scream saying “Oh my god; it’s Sabrina Sanders.”

Sabrina tried to see where the voice was coming from and realized that it came from a small man with a hairstyle that looked like a cockatiel. Toby turned around to see what Sabrina was looking at and smacked her as he realized where the voice came from. “Sabrina,” he hissed “That was Tre Cool, the drummer from Green Day that said that.”

Sure enough Tre Cool along with his daughter and son, Mike Dirnt with his daughter and Billie Joe Armstrong with his wife and their sons were walking toward Sabrina and the Derringer band.

As soon as they got up to Sabrina Adrienne spoke first. “Hi there, Miss Sanders. I hope you don’t mind but the older kids are fans of yours and wanted to meet you,” she said. “My name is Adrienne and this is Billie Joe and Jake and Joey, our sons; this is Mike Dirnt and that is Estelle his daughter; this Tre Cool and Ramona and Frankito are his kids.”

Sabrina smiled at the children. “Hi, I’m Sabrina Sanders and this is my manger Toby Mann, who right now would like to meet your dads. He has been a fan of theirs since their Sweet Children days. It’s an obsession that I blame on him growing up in Berkeley,” she laughed when Toby smacked her upside the head, “Dammit Tobe... just for that.” She turned back towards Green Day, “Toby is shitting his pants right now meeting his idols.” Sabrina turned and stuck out her tongue at her manager which earned her a punch to the arm from the man.

Sabrina laughed at Toby as she hunkered down to the kids’ eye level where Ramona asked shyly if she could get an autograph. “Well sure,” Sabrina said with a smile. Ramona and the kids had autograph books with them since it was such a star filled event. So she held up her book for Sabrina to sign. Sabrina took the book and grabbed out her handy dandy black Sharpie.

“Hmmmmmm what should I write?” Sabrina asked out loud to no one in particular.

“I know,” Tre piped up “How about To Ramona and her sexy ass Daddy; Nice to feel you; can’t wait to do it again; love Sabrina.”

Sabrina looked at the man and shook her head to herself. “Ummm that’s nice but too weird to put in writing,” she replied.

A security person came up the band and said that the Derringer set starts in 10 minutes and the band needed to get to the stage area. Sabrina quickly signed each child’s autograph book and smiled at them all and said goodbye as she excused herself since she needed to go play. She grabbed Toby by the shoulder and propelled him toward the stage.

The members of Green Day watched the blonde push her manager along to the stage. They laughed at her doing that. Tre watched a little more intently than the others, and his mind was going a mile a minute.

The Derringer band set went great even though Sabrina and Rick never said one word to each other before going on stage and coming off stage. The tension was so thick within the band that everyone was uncomfortable. Sabrina felt bad for the band members, but knew that it was Rick who made things the way they were. Finally Sabrina had had enough. She walked up behind Rick and turned him around to face her.

“I’m leaving the band Rick; I fulfilled my contract and recorded the last CD I needed to. I’m done; I can’t go on performing like this. It’s not fair to me, the rest of the band or even to you. I contacted my lawyers to get paperwork around stating as much. I am turning over what little profit I would have had from the new album back to you so you can get a new singer. Good bye Rick; I am sure that we will speak only through lawyers from now on and that will suit me just fine.”

With that Sabrina walked away from the band that broke her into the music business and she never looked back. The press had overheard as well as other bands that were standing in the immediate area including a small band from Oakland, who were there at Live 8 with their families. Everyone was shocked since no one really knew how bad Rick treated Sabrina and how little input she had in band decisions. The truth would come out later