Sequel: Fallen Embers

The Fire

I'm Going Home

When Sabrina and the boys went back into the studio, things changed. There was a purpose to Sabrina and what she did. They decided that she would re make a few songs from an album that was releases in 1986 along with several new tracks that including the one she wrote with Billie Joe.

The Oscars come around at the beginning of March. Once again Sabrina was dressed by Adeline Street but instead of just Billie and Adie coming along, Mike, Brittney, Jason and his wife also rounded out the group. No one had any idea why all of Green Day was there, but halfway through the telecast it was understood why they were there. Sabrina was introduced by Naomi Watts to perform her song. The curtain went up to reveal 5 people in a semi circle. Tre was in the center standing up behind his bongos. The others were on stools. Sabrina sat to Tre's left with a hollow acoustic bass and Mike sat next to her with a banjo on his knee. To Tre's right sat Billie with a dobro and Jason with a guitar. Before Tre started the beat, he leaned over to give Sabrina a kiss and smiled and started the bluegrassy beat.

When the song ended they got a standing ovation. Sabrina and the boys bowed and walked off stage. They were overwhelmed by the backstage press that it took almost 15 minutes before they were able to get back to their seats. Once again Sabrina didn't win, but they all had fun at the after parties, and their performance was the talk of town.

Back in Oakland studio time continued as Sabrina and her band rehearsed. They re-worked the older songs and honed the new ones till they were prefect. Things were going great until Sabrina started to get sick. She was puking all the time and had a general run down feeling.

In the studio after coming out of the bathroom from another puking session she found herself face to face with Tre. "If you don't make a doctor's appointment, I will hog tie you and take you myself."

"Is that threat or a promise husband."

"Sabrina, I'm serious. You sick as dog, and I don't want you getting sicker."

"Fine, Fine. I'm make an appointment, geez can a person have the flu around here?"

Tre prevailed and Sabrina had a doctor's appointment on March 20th which was in four days time. She gave the band off that day, since they hadn't had time to themselves in a while, and it would give them a 3 day weekend.

The morning of the 20th arrived and Sabrina left her bed to get around for her doctor's appointment. Before leaving the house she called Claudia to see what Frankito had planned. When it was revealed that he had the day off from Pre-school, Sabrina went to put him up so that they could spend some time together.

They arrived at the doctors office and within moments was lead into an exam room where the nurse took Sabrina's vital signs, along with giving a lollipop for Frankito. The doctor came in and ran some tests on Sabrina which included some blood being drawn. The doctor told Sabrina that results of the tests would take an hour or so and he would call with the results.

To waste time Sabrina decided that they would go eat at Rudy's until the test results came in. As Sabrina drove to the café, she noticed she was being followed by a large SUV. When she turned around to look at it when they stopped at a stoplight, she noticed the camera. She frowned at the fact that the photogs felt they had to follow her. She had always granted access to her life so this wouldn't happen. She soon forgot about them as she pulled in front of the café. She waved at Charlotte who was looking out the window at the familiar truck. She and Frankito went inside to have a nice lunch.

As Frankie was digging into his fries, Sabrina's cell phone rang. She answered it and listened to what the doctor was saying about her results. A smile broke across her face when she learned the news that she wasn't sick but she was almost 4 months pregnant. A hand snaked down to her stomach as she made a prenatal appointment. Though she didn't feel any larger she did realize that her jeans had started to fit little more snugly than she was used too, but she just chalked it up to being sick. She smiled at Frankito and wondered what she was having, a little boy just like Tre or a little girl just like her. She thanked the doctor and hung up the phone.

"Come on Frankie, let's hurry up, I have to go shopping, I want to surprise your Daddy with a nice dinner tonight." She decided that she would have a romantic dinner and surprise Tre with the good news. Her mind wandered as she thought about the future. She didn't notice when Frankito proclaimed he was finished.

Sabrina shook her head and brought herself back to the present. She pulled out a couple twenty's and walked Frankito to the door. She went to go outside but saw the SUV from earlier parked across the street. Sure enough she caught a glimpse of a camera again. "Charlotte, can you watch Frankito for a moment, I have to take care of something across the street.". She bent down to talk to Frankito. "Now stay her with Charlotte for a minute, MomBee has to talk with someone across the street. When I'm done, we will go to the store to shop for daddy's special dinner."

Sabrina pushed open the door and checked both ways before crossing the street. She walked up to the SUV and knocked on the window. The embarrassed photogs rolled down the window for the blonde.

Sabrina told them that she would have had not problem giving them some camera time, all they had to do was ask. She explained that she never runs from photogs, but rather always takes the time to speak with them. The guys apologized that they didn't know that since they were new. They thanked her for not being a bitch and trashing their stuff. She shook their hands and turned around to cross the street. She didn't hear or notice the car that came barreling down the street until it was too late.

Sabrina woke up feeling like a mac truck hit her and she wasn't far off the mark. When she had turned to walk back to the café, a car which had run a red light came speeding down the street, and hit Sabrina and continued going on and leaving the accident scene. The photogs had continued filming when Sabrina had come up to speak to them, so they caught the accident on tape. The driver had been drunk and was talking on his phone and never noticed the red light nor the person he had hit.

She looked around to find Tre sleeping in a chair beside her bed. He looked rough. He was dressed in rumpled clothes that looked like he had been sleeping in them for days. A scruffy beard covered his face and his hair was plastered to his head. Reached over and touched his arm. He jolted awake at her touch and jumped up to bring her into a hard hug.

"I thought I lost you." he said softly into her hair. "But we did lose the baby, Sabrina. Why didn't you tell me." he cried.

"Tre, I was planning on making you a special dinner and surprising you when you came home." she said as she stroked his hair as he cried into her shoulder. She reached around and hit the call button. When a nurse came in, Sabrina asked if Mike and Billie were there, and if they were would she go get them. The nurse nodded and soon Mike and Billie came into the room.

"Hey woman, you gave us quite a scare." Billie said while trying to make a joke.

Sabrina smile wryly and motioned for them to help Tre. Mike and Billie came over and helped Tre sit back onto his chair. They watched as Sabrina took a deep breathe and close her eyes and were surprised at what she said next.

"Guys, please take Tre home. He deserves so much more than me. The best thing in this world he does aside from drumming is being a daddy. He deserves someone that can give him that, and I can't do that. I am not good enough for him, he deserves so much better than me." Her eyes were sad but firm as she said what she said.

Tre looked up at what she said with a shocked look on his face. "What?"

She turned to look at her husband as she spoke again. "I am freeing you Tre. You need to find someone who deserves you and I don't. You need someone who can give you what you need, and I can't"

Tre looked as though someone had shot his puppy right in front of him. He looked crushed as he heard what Sabrina said. Without another word, he stood up and shakily made his way out of the room. "You both should go with him." she said to the other two standing in the room. They quickly left to find Tre and be with him, since the blonde woman wanted to be alone.

Tre didn't come back again the rest of the time Sabrina was in the hospital. Toby arrived to drive her back home to her house. When she walked in the door she immediately noticed that the house seemed empty. "He's gone Sabrina." Toby whispered to the woman as they walked into the kitchen. She glanced around and saw that some of his things were still there, but he wasn't. The house seemed empty without his presence. That was the first time Sabrina thought she might had made a mistake in sending Tre away.

Toby moved in with Sabrina so she wasn't alone. A few days later she called her band and went back to the studio. Things weren't the same since the accident. There was still an easy go lucky relationship with her band and Green Day, but that relationship disappeared for Sabrina. She felt like an outsider but realized it was of her own making. 3pm would roll around and the band left to go outside but she stayed away.

This continued into mid April, until one day right before 3pm, there was a knock at the door. A strange man walked in and asked for Sabrina Wright. Sabrina walked up to the man and said she was Sabrina. He handed her an fat envelope and turned around and walked away without a word.

Sabrina's hands shook as she held the fat wad of paper. She opened it up and pulled out the folded pages. She caught a glimpse of silver flash and felt rather then heard the object hit the floor. Her heart came up into her throat as she saw Tre's wedding band sitting on the floor where is had fallen out of the envelope. Another knock came at the door as Billie stuck his head in to call the band for lunch. They hovered around until Sabrina found her voice and told them she needed to be alone, that they could go. Billie gave her a look as he felt the tension in the room. Her band slowly left one by one until she was alone.

Sabrina bent over and picked up the ring and held it to her heart. She felt the tears slip down her face and she didn't try to stop them. Placing the ring in her pocket of her jeans she walked over to the piano and sat down on the bench. She absent-mindedly tapped the keys and the tears fell from her face and landed on her lap. She sat there thinking about the huge mistake she made and tried to move and stand up to tell him that, but she couldn't she was too scared. So instead she did the only other thing she knew how to do, she wrote a song. Every feeling she had, every bit of her being poured out into the lyrics. Everything she wanted to say, but was to scared to speak.

This song flowed out of her like water. Within no time she had written the notes and lyrics onto paper. She stood up to and walked over to the sound booth and looked around til she found what she was looking for. In her hands was a small tape recorder that she brought back over to the piano. She clicked the record button and laid down a demo for the song.

When she was finished she clicked the button off and left the papers and recorder at the piano. She stood up and walked over to the dry erase board that held a list of songs for the album. She made a few adjustments and walked out of the studio and went outside where both bands had gathered for their daily afternoon ritual.

When she appeared outside her band gathered around her. "There is a new song in there I just finished up on. I want you guys to learn it. I'm going home." She brushed past them and started toward her truck.

"We'll see you at the normal time then tomorrow Boss." Emmett said.

She stopped and turned back toward the group of people. "No, the Oakland house isn't home anymore, and it hasn't been home for a number of weeks now. I'm going home to New York. Back to the farm." She turned back around and got into her truck and drove away from the studio and Oakland.