Transcontinental Overload

Eliska.

Their trip to Chamrousse was cut short because of Harry’s little accident. Luckily, he’s not too heavily injured as he only sprained his left shoulder. Nevertheless, he was adviced not to engage in any activities that would put strain on his injured shoulder. Everyone was a bit bummed about it but they complied nonetheless. Everyone was worried about the boy’s well-being. However, there’s one person who’s really glad about the turn of event and that’s Eliska.

Ever since the first day, she’d already suspected that it would take her a while to fully be able to get comfortable with everyone. Being born and raised in wealth and money, Eliska never had many friends around her, so she was always awkward when she’s thrown into a group of strangers. That’s the main reason she decided to take part in the contest. She wanted to try something new, pushing herself out of her bubble and comfort zone. When the French girl took everyone out to the club to mingle and get to know each other better, she tried her hardest to fit in. But it was hard for her. She tried to smile and keep an interested face in every conversation although she didn’t really talk much.

When the host took them to the mountain to go skiing the next day, Eliska already dreaded the trip. However, she tried keeping up a brave face. So when they finally was able to go back to the villa, she wasn’t really able hide the excitement from her face. Upon arriving, the producer pulled Noémie aside and they chatted for a bit. Louis had helped Harry to sit down on the couch as the younger boy winced, holding onto his shoulder. Eliska stood awkwardly behind the couch, not really knowing where to go as the other boys and girls were chatting with each other. It seemed like everyone had bonded quite well with each other already.

“Can we switch partners tomorrow?” She heard Louis asked Harry as she was still trying to figure out where to go. The expression on Harry’s face turned from pained to questioning, his eyebrows raising slightly as Louis let out a sigh and leaned back on the couch. It was obvious that the boys still hadn’t realized that Eliska was standing just a few feet away from them. “She’s a fun-killer,” Louis explained with another sigh, crossing his arms across his chest and puffed out his cheeks like a child who was denied a toy.

“What’s wrong with your partner?” asked Harry, cradling his arm and leaned back as well, looking at his friend. Louis shrugged.

“She’s too quiet. And she didn’t laugh at any of my jokes. And at Chamrousse, she refused to do anything. She didn’t want to go up to higher slopes. She didn’t want to board the lift. She’s impossible!”

“Well… higher slopes are dangerous, you know,” Harry replied solemnly, nodding at his shoulder and Louis snickered at that. Eliska quietly took a few steps back and turned towards her shared room. Biting her lips, she tried fighting off the tears that were threatening to fall down. “Nah… I like Noémie. She’s cool,” Harry said after a while.

“She got you injured,” Louis retorted.

“Not her fault though. Maybe Eliska isn’t that bad.” That was the last thing she heard before she closed the door shut behind her. A drop of tears rolled down her cheeks and she quickly wiped it off angrily.

*~*~*~*~*~*


“Where are we going?” Louis asked as he fidgeted slightly on his seat next to Eliska. The girl tried to move away but the space was a bit cramped so she stayed quiet, her eyes fixed on her shoes. The boy’s conversation with Harry the night before was still fresh in her mind and to say that she was offended was an understatement. She was hurt. But then, everything that Louis said was true so she couldn’t really blame him. “The Bastille,” the driver answered and Louis nodded, smiling enthusiastically.

The drive went by uneventfully, the van filled with sound of animated chatters. Even Harry was looking excited although he had his arm in a cast to support his shoulder. Eliska remained quiet, smiling every once in a while when a question or two was directed in her direction. She could feel Louis’ judging stare at her direction but she chose to ignore it. After a while, the van stopped and they all piled out. Eliska let out a sigh of dismay when she saw cable cars hanging in the air.

“So we can split the group into two. We can go up by driving or by the cable cars. Who’s up for the cable cars?” the producer asked. The girl was about to volunteer going up by driving but Louis beat her up to it. “I want cable car!” he exclaimed enthusiastically, grinning from ear to ear. Then, he turned to look at Eliska, his expression challenging, as if daring her to say no.

“She’s a fun-killer.” Louis’ words were playing in repeat in her mind and she wanted to prove to him that she could be fun too. So she stuck out her chin indignantly.

“Sure,” she said curtly, turning away at the smirk adorning the older boy’s face. Then, everything was settled. Eliska, Louis, Zayn and Maymay along with a couple of crew members boarded the cable car. Harry, Noémie, Molly and Liam boarded another car while the rest all went up by driving. They promised to meet once they all reached there.

When the door to the cable car was closed and it began to ascend, Eliska gripped the edge of her seat tightly and closed her eyes while Zayn and Maymay was gushing over the beautiful view overlooking the Grenoble city from where they were. Eliska had been to France too many times to count before but she’d never been to this part of the country. Usually, she went to Paris, accompanying her mother on one of her shopping trips and her father for his business trips. She was angry at herself for not being able to enjoy this experience fully.

“Eliska?” She opened her eyes slowly when she heard her name being called and blinked rapidly to see several eyes watching her worriedly. “You okay?” Zayn asked, his eyebrows knitted together. The girl nodded her head. “You look pale.”

“I’m fine,” she replied but quickly pressed her mouth shut tightly when she realized that her lips were trembling. Louis was moving around in his seat too much, pointing here and there in awe. Eliska felt sick in her stomach as she felt the car swaying. Absentmindedly, she lifted up her hand and grabbed onto Louis’ arm tightly, breathing hard. “Stop… moving…”

Louis slanted his head to the side, watching her curiously for a few moments before his jaw dropped as his face lightened up in recognition. He brought his palm up to cover his mouth. “You’re scared of the height!” he exclaimed, his eyes widened. Eliska didn’t say anything, didn’t deny or agreeing to the statement. She simply breathed in and out deeply, trying not to freak out too much. She didn’t have problem with height as long as she couldn’t see what’s below her. That’s why she didn’t mind travelling on planes. But this… this was too much for her to handle.

She was still trying to regulate her own breathing when she felt someone grabbing her hand and covered it protectively. She looked down for a moment before her eyes travelled upward and was met with Louis who was giving her a comforting smile. Her lips drooped slightly in a scowl as she pulled her hand away and wrapped her arms in front of her chest. She didn’t bother to acknowledge the frown on Louis’ face as his words from last night rang in her ears over and over again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone!

I'm Lina and I'll be writing for Eliska.

Read, rec, comment, subscribe are much love!

Enjoy reading. ^_^