Status: COMPLETE!

Thank the Lucky Stars

Ch.4

Nicole put the cut up bananas in the freezer and threw the banana peel away. She could still feel Brett's eyes on her, she was not going to start the conversation first.

"Nicole." He said getting up and going over to her.

She chose to ignore him just like he ignored her when she told him the baby news.

"Nicole, I'm sorry that I hurt you." He said pinning her in between him and the counter. "I'm still in love with you."

Nikki gave at a snort.

"Yeah, ok. You need to come up with better lines. You know how many times I've heard you say that to other girls?"

He turned her around roughly so she could face him.

"Nikki, how come you won't let me see my son?"

"I never said you couldn't. You chose not to."

"Why are you letting Max do things for our son?"

"Because he's helped out more than you have. Now if you would so kindly let me go-"

"Don't let him hold that boy again."

"Brett, you have absolutely no say in this. You weren't there through the pregnancy, he was. Now let go of me."

He didn't let her go, he just tightened his grip on her wrist. Nikki took hold of Brett's attacking arm and hit a pressure point. He let go quickly while hissing in pain.

"Bitch."

"Consider yourself warned, Brett." She said and walked out of the kitchen.

She was about to enter the living room but she stopped in her tracks.

"What about Nicole?"

"She seems like a sweet girl too. And judging by the way you've been acting around her and her boy, it seems you like her too." Nikki heard Charlie say to Max.

"I guess you could say something like that."

He likes me too?

"We've been friends for a while now. I'd do anything for her just so she could be safe and happy."

Nicole's heart felt like it stopped when those words came out of his mouth.

"You going in there Nikki?"

She jumped and came face to face with T.K.

"Don't do that!" She said before walking back into the kitchen to get the fruit then went into the living room.

Nikki sat on the couch and Max sat next to her with Tyler on his lap.

"Here ya go baby boy." She said handing Tyler a frozen banana slice.

Charlie observed the scene in front of him. The baby took the banana slice and stuck it in his mouth immediately. Max put his right arm behind Nikki on the back of the couch while his left arm held the baby securely on his lap. Charlie noticed the way Max smiled at Tyler and Nicole, it was sincere and loving. The way Max talked to Tyler, like he was his own child. There was no doubt about it Max was in love with Nicole.

Nikki jumped slightly when there was a clap of thunder then the lights went out. Tyler started whining from the loud noise. The only light source was coming from the fireplace.

"It's alright little man." Max said soothingly then cursed under his breath.

"Oh, that's spooky." Charlie muttered.

The others were chattering and coming to the living room. T.K went to Charlie while Avery and Ira stayed behind Brett, which had the gun pulled out.

"What's going on?" Max asked.

"Must be the storm. Ira, where's the fuse box?" Brett asked.

"I don't know."

"How do you not know? You live here." Nikki said.

"It's outside... somewhere."

"How 'bout you go check it out?"

"What, alone?"

"I'll go with you. I got to get my shoes." T.K said.

Nicole saw Tyler yawn and relax into Max's chest.

"You want me to take him? He's about to fall asleep." She said softly.

"Nah. He's fine." Max said re-adjusting Tyler so the baby could be more comfortable.

Ten minutes later Tyler was out having a little arm spasm while he slept. Max looked down and smiled then looked out Nicole.

"Little man is out." He said bringing Tyler closer to his chest before standing up.

"Maybe he'll finally stay asleep." She said getting up and motioned for Max to follow her.

He followed her up the steps and into a bedroom that Tyler had been using. He set the baby down gently in the middle of the king sized bed and covered him up. Max stood up and saw Nikki leaning on the door frame watching.

"Nikki, we need to talk." He said quietly.

She nodded and pointed to the dresser. He looked and saw the baby monitor was on. Him and her walked out of the room and he shut the door.

"What is it Max?" She asked softly.

"Nikki, I made a mistake."

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is I'm in love with you, not Elise. I know, I'm a fucking prick for using her but I thought that dating her would make my feelings go away for you, but they haven't. The truth is I've liked you since fifth grade."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I-I don't know. Maybe I was scared of rejection."

"Max, I have a feeling where this is going but you're still with Elise. We can't-"

"As soon as we get her back I'm breaking it off with her. Talking with Charlie earlier made me realize the mistake I made and I'm going to fix it." He said gently touching her cheek. "I love you Nicole. I want to be with you and help you take care of Tyler."

Nikki couldn't form any words all she could do was kiss him while she let out joyful tears. Max pulled her closer to deepen the kiss and she pulled him to her. He pushed her gently against the wall with their lips still locked.

"I promise..." Kiss. "That I'll..." Kiss. "Be there..." Kiss. "For you and..." Kiss. "Ty no matter what." He finished then kissed her more passionately.

Max started to kiss down her neck slowly with little gentle nips along the way, making her moan softly. He pulled her to the bathroom with him and shut the door. Once the door was shut he pinned her to the door. Nikki wrapped her arms around Max's neck as he hoisted her up and wrapped her legs around his waist. He started kissing her again this time nibbling on her bottom lip and she allowed him access. Max held her tightly as he made his way to the sink and sat her on it. He was jolted back into reality when he felt her hands slowly go under his shirt and up his lean stomach.

"Nikki. We can't do this here." He breathed out.

Nicole let her hands fall from under his shirt.

"I don't want our first time in a bathroom."

"Me neither." She said breathlessly.

He helped her off the sink and kissed her lips before putting her back on the floor.

"But promise me that when we do have sex that you'll use protection. I don't think I'm ready for another baby."

"I promise Nikki." He said with a smile.

Max opened the door so they could leave the bathroom. They headed down the stairs and Nikki headed to the kitchen to get something to snack on while Max went to make himself a drink.

Nicole sat down at the kitchen table eating Lay's original potato chips slowly. It felt so right with Max kissing and touching her. With Brett it was different, he knew how to make her squirm and feel good but it didn't feel right. Maybe she was using Brett too, covering up her love for Max. And look how that turned out, she got pregnant by Brett and he left her. When Max said those things to her upstairs she knew that he meant every word.

"Hey Nikki?"

She looked and saw T.K coming in the kitchen.

"What?"

"You have to promise not to tell." He said sitting next to her.

"What?" She repeated again.

"I think there's an inside player with Elise's kidnapping." He said quietly.

"Really now?" She mocked surprise.

"Yeah, but I'm going to figure this out, so don't tell anyone."

"T.K do you really think I'm that freaking stupid? Charlie told me the same thing."

"He did. When?"

"Before I got him the water that you and Brett weren't getting him. He's weeding us out T.K. If anyone is going to find out, he is." She said putting a clothing clip on the chip bag and put it up.

She looked at T.K and sighed.

"I'm not calling you stupid T.K, I'm sure you'll figure it out too."

"Thanks. Do you have any ideas on who did it?"

She sat back down next to him.

"No I don't but I have thought about it. Let's start with Ira, if he done it he would've gotten caught already, he sucks at lying."

"Good point. So Ira's out of the question."

"Why would Avery have someone kidnap his own sister? He's got money and everything."

"True."

"Max, he's dating her so why would he do that?" She asked trying to keep her tone normal.

"That leaves Brett, me and you."

"You know she's like a sister to me so why would I do that?"

"Jealousy maybe." He said with a smirk.

Nikki blinked her eyes at him for an explanation.

"Brett was using the bathroom so I went upstairs to go and you two were talking in the hallway."

"Great. I'm not jealous of her and do you really think that I'd kidnap someone and risk Child services taking my son away?"

"Relax Nikki, I know you wouldn't do that. And your secret is safe with me."

"Good." She said getting up.

"What about me and Brett?"

"You, you're to smart to kidnap someone because if you do, you can kiss your doctor career goodbye. Brett on the other hand he seems pretty hostile tonight. I don't know if it's because I'm here or what."

"Let's head on back to the living room. Shall we?" He asked holding out his hand.

Nikki rolled her eyes playfully.

"You need to lay off of the drugs Teek." She said before walking to the living room.

When they entered she saw Ira filling the liquor bottles back up, Charlie was by the fire, Brett was drinking, Avery was shuffling cards, and Max was looking in his glass.

"Guys, if I don't bleed to death soon, I'm gonna die of boredom. How about we kill time instead?"

"What do you suggest? You're taped to a chair." Brett said.

"You guys could play poker, like you told Ira." Nikki said. "Teek wheel him into the dining room."

T.K wheeled Charlie into the dining room and the others followed. Charlie sat at the end of the table, Max was on his right, Nicole was next to Max and the others were on Charlie's left. Ira was helping Charlie play poker.

"I have a full boat." Charlie said.

Everyone exclaimed.

"That's a shame, Max. You know, forgive me saying so, but could it be, this is not your night?"

"Yeah, tell me about it." Max said trying to hide the fact that he and Nicole were practically together.

"You ever send a guy a newspaper with a dead fish in it?"

Really Ira?

"Shut the fuck up, man!" T.K said playfully.

"Ah, you got me mixed up with something from the movies, kid. People make that mistake. It must be my classic profile."

"Ira, shuffle the cards right." Avery said.

"I am."

"I thought you said you were practicing this at home."

"What difference does it make? We're playin' a game." Ira said defensively.

"Monkey-fuckin' football." Avery said, which caused Brett to chuckle.

"Brett. Join us. Take a chair."

"Pass."

"What's the matter, you might enjoy yourself? It's ok. You're allowed." Charlie lightly taunted.

"I don't wanna play with you Charlie. Rest of you fags wanna play, go ahead. Have fun."

"Ass." Nicole muttered under her breath.

She felt Max's hand rubbing her knee lightly from under the table trying to calm her down.

"Thanks, Brett, That's-" Max said taking his hand off Nikki's knee and gave a sarcastic thumbs up.

"No fraternizing, eh? Oh well. Have it your way."

Nicole laughed a little at Charlie when he rhymed the words.

"Ok, Brett's out. Five-card draw. Say, aces, deuces, one-eyed jacks and suicide kings are wild." Ira said dealing the cards.

"Ira, that's the whole deck." Max said.

"So what? It's my game, my rules."

"Ira, there's no challenge in that. That's like-"

"Gentlemen, keep in mind that the cards you hold in your hands are nothing but dumb luck. The difference between winning and losing is being able to read your opponent. That's why I'm still here. A number of times the only thing that kept me out of a satin box...was I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me." Charlie said cutting off Avery.

Nicole looked over at T.K giving him the 'He's profiling' look and T.K understood it.

"What the fuck are you talkin' about? You're taped to a chair. You saw us coming a mile away at the plaza. didn't you?" Brett said.

"I admit...I'm out of practice."

T.K and Nicole looked at each other again and she shook her head slightly. She knew what Charlie was doing, he was profiling right now.

"Ira...give me four cards."

"Oh, sorry, sir. No offense."

"Well, you gave me six." T.K said putting two cards on the table.

"Take Ira, for example. I trust Ira."

"You do?"

"We're playin' poker. He's losin' his shirt. Yet, Ira's eyes don't float. He's got his sense of fair play. As we all know, Ira can't bluff his way out of a paper bag. I can tell you his bet before he could."

"Well, could you? 'Cause I could use the help here, Charlie. Ya know."

"Look at Avery. He's havin' a tough time hatin' me. Let me tell ya, you have to have a real hate-on to do what you did to me. Integrity keeps gettin' in Avery's way."

"Now he wants us to believe he's a mind reader."

You are so stupid Brett.

"That's right." Charlie said to Brett.

"I fold." Ira said.

"Ira, no one opened." Max said after he took a drink.

"Sorry."

Why is Ira acting so skittish.

"I'll open." T.K said.

"That makes sense."

"Fold."

"That also makes sense. How about Brett, control junkie? Brett can't leave anything to chance. Look at him. He wouldn't even play, unless he was looking across the table at a sure thing."

Hit the nail right on the head.

"I don't have to take this shit. I'm outta here." Brett said before leaving the room.

"Brett, you go up to Tyler I'll cut your balls off. I'll know if you're up there and I'll know if you shut the monitor off." Nicole said warningly.

He scoffed and left the room.

"I thought he'd never leave."

"You're one-eighty off on Brett. He's a wild man. We're in Atlantic City, I had to lock him in a room."

"Why?" Nikki asked curiously since she didn't take that road trip with them.

"What happened? He dropped a few quarters in the slots?"

"Huh! About fourty-eight thousand quarters." Ira mouthed off.

Nicole put her drink down and looked at Ira.

"Really?"

"Yeah. We drove down to Jersey on Memorial Day."

"Labor Day." T.K corrected.

"Whatever. Just shut up, ok? I'm tryin' to tell a story here."

"Ira?"

"What?" He said to Avery.

"You can't tell a story here. You can't tell a story anywhere. You screw it up every time."

"No, I do not."

"You're doing it now." Max pitched in.

"That's because you guys interrupt every time. I can't keep my place. I forget where I was."

"No, Ira. If you get the Goddamn story straight, we wouldn't have to interrupt you to get the Goddamn story straight."

"Ok, we get it. Will someone please just tell the story already." Nikki snapped.

"I was telling the story." Ira whined.

"Just shut the fuck up. I'll tell it. You fuck it up every time." Max snapped.

"Maxie, calm down and start the story already.

She knew that Max hated that name. Ever since they were in second grade he hated it. He gave her a pointed look and she gave a stern look back.

"Nikki, you know how much I hate that. Don't call me that."

"Then calm down and tell the story."

"It was Labor Day, Ira, Like T.K said. It was scorchin' outside, it was so fuckin' hot. Don't you remember that? The room was freezin' though. You could hang meat in this room, it was so damn cold. It was good for business, right? It keeps you awake. We're poundin' sauce. Free booze. What they lose on that they make up on Johnny Walker judgment. And it's getting late, really late. The sun's about to come up. We'd all lost our shirts. Maxed out the plastic. Except for Brett. "Brett's winnin' like, huge. That's when it happened. Changing of the guard. Word had it they brought this guy in from Vegas after two suicides. It's the guy they brought in to cool the table down. You know what they called him?" Max said taking a drink before continuing.

"What? The masked money stealer?" Nicole asked sarcastically.

"Close. The Widowmaker. What a little shit this guy was. It's like the kid that reminds the teacher about the homework assignment."

"I hate those kind of kids." She mumbled.

"Well, that's this kid grown up. Anyway. Bret's twenty-two grand ahead, so I figure it's safe to go to the john, right? Wrong. Gone five minutes, I come back he's down twelve. I try talking him into changing tables, but he takes out a marker. You fuckin' believe that? Right then Avery walks up. He's just got done sweatin' out the Georgetown-Mississippi game, right? But at ten to one, he's come out five grand ahead. He takes one look at this little wimp, and he dumps his five Gs right on top of Brett's action. Ya see, two of these clowns, they're gonna take the Widowmaker's balls home and his luggage with one hand. So what does Brett the genius do?"

"Double down I'm guessing." Nicole said.

"Bingo. He doubles down. Widowmaker looked him right in the eye, and he drew one card."

"The guy, he's-he's got rocks the size of Rushmore." Ira said

"Afterwards, Brett takes his last two hundred bucks, he takes us all out for steaks the size of your foot." Avery added.

"What a guy. He drops twenty grand, he ain't got money left fo a bus ticket home, he takes you for steaks. It must be nice to have rich folks." Charlie said.

"You don't know his father. He's got the first nickel he ever made." T.K said.

"So, How's he gonna pay back the twenty large? The interest alone is enough to give you a nosebleed."

Good question, how is he going to pay it back? Wait does that mean-