‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter One

“So are you going to finally tell me what happened before we have to leave?” Pat asked as he was playing with my fingers and looking at the scars on my hand. I sighed and looked at the time to see that it was after six in the morning, we still hadn’t fallen asleep yet surprisingly.

I sat up and then looked at Pat, turning my body and then moving myself onto his lap. Pat was leaning against the headboard, I looked down and Pat cupped my chin and then pressed his lips onto mine. I brought my hands to his shoulders and moved them to his neck and Pat moved back a little and then kissed my forehead.

I nodded my head and then sighed, “Um, well the other day- Remember when we were talking on the phone, when you were in Nashville?” I asked and he nodded his head, “Well I had to hang up quickly because there was this girl in the parking lot and she was lost. I saw her stomach and she was pregnant, she told me was looking for someone- And the first thing I thought was that Talbot or Staal knocked this poor girl up, I asked her that and she said ‘No I’m looking for Kris’,” I said and Pat’s eyes widened and I nodded my head, “I was hoping that Kunitz did something stupid, and she was looking for him, but no, just said Letang and- I don’t know, I just got really angry.”

“You didn’t hurt her?” he asked and I shook my head.

“No, but I wanted to,” I said and Pat nodded his head, “We were arguing and she had the nerve to tell me that it was my fault that Kris cheated on me- That I wasn’t the one giving him that happiness that he deserved,” I said and just thinking about it, my fists were clenched, “I guess I backed her into my car, I couldn’t help it, I threw my fist- It was only at the last second that I managed to turn it towards my window instead of her face.”

“Maggie,” Pat said and I felt him forcing my fists to unclench and he laced his fingers with mine, “It wasn’t your fault.”

“I just- I don’t,” my eyes were closed and I was looking down, not wanting Pat to see my teary eyes.

“Mags,” Pat breathed and then wrapped his arms around me, “It wasn’t your fault, all right? It’s not your fault!”

I nodded my head and Pat picked my face up and wiped my tears away, “He knocked the girl up, Pattie,” I said and Pat sighed and nodded his head, “And he told James and Geno the other day that he still loves me and is trying to get him back,” I said and shook my head, “I don’t want him back- Not after cheating on me- Not after getting her pregnant- And now I find out that he’s letting her live with him and is taking care of her.”

“Well, he’s not your problem anymore Mags, the whore or him,” Pat said and I nodded my head, “I’m your problem,” he smirked and I let out a laugh and wrapped my arms around his neck. He pulled me into him and kissed my head and then laid back and I cuddled into his side, “Can I kick his ass now?”

“You’re gunna have to get in line, Pattie,” I said and he chuckled.

“Shouldn’t the new boyfriend get to get shot to the front of the line though?” he asked giggled.

“Pretty sure brothers and fathers go before boyfriends,” I said and Pat smirked and pressed his lips onto mine and that’s pretty much how we spent our final hours in Ottawa.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We were home in Pittsburgh for about two days, on the second day we had a home game against Toronto and managed to win in a shootout with the final score of five to four. I just assisted in James’ goal and then tried to keep the puck away from Kessel a lot because it was funny how he seemed to be on the ice whenever I was. We teased each other, but most of the time it was serious, since we were back to regular games.

The next day, the Leafs and Penguins’ planes followed each other to Toronto because that night we had an away game against the Leafs, where Kessel teased me saying that I missed him too much and that’s why we were playing them two days in a row. Sadly we lost that game with the score of one to zero. The day after, we got on the plane again and traveled to Boston where we were going to have a game against the Bruins in two days.

It was about three o’clock in the afternoon, we had arrived in the city a few hours ago and some of us were restless and wanted to explore parts of the city that we’ve either already been to or never saw yet. Mike, Emma, James, Geno, Pascal, Sidney, Jordan, Max, Marc and I set out on an adventure. We were staying at the hotel that was about three blocks away from the garden, so to head into the city that was the building that we needed to pass first.

“Hey Emma!” I called and she looked at me and the guys in front of us stopped, “Can you take Mike and my picture with Orr; we wanna send it to Dad!”

“Sure,” she smiled and took my phone and Mike and I stood on each side of the big statue and leaned against it. I saw the guys smirk as Emma handed my phone back to me, but I gave it back to her and told her to take a picture next to the Bruins sign, where I made a stupid face and held my thumb down, “What are you going to do with that one?”

“Send it to Segs,” I said as I took my phone back and typed in Tyler’s name in my contacts and sent the picture to him, no doubt he was going to pass it around his teammates.

“You’re a bitch, Mags,” Max yelled, a smirk on his face and I smiled shrugged my shoulders.

“An awesome bitch,” I said and he chuckled and threw his arm over my shoulders and we all headed deeper into the city on the semi-cold February day. I shivered sometimes and had my hands in my winter coat pockets, “Stupid ground hog saw his damn shadow the other day, didn’t he?!”

“Didn’t see it, you mean?” Mike said and I looked at him.

“Which one means more winter?” I asked and everyone looked at me, “What?”

“I actually don’t remember,” Sidney said and we all let out a laugh and waved it off.

We were walking the city for a while, taking pictures with each other, exploring historical and non-historical sights. However, after walking forever, it was getting late, and we were getting hungry. Sidney wanted a nice quiet place, but most of the guys ignored his request and chose a sports pub where we were bound to be noticed.

When we sat down, I looked at my phone and saw that Tyler had texted me back he sent me a picture of him, Marchand, Lucic, Chara, Rask and Tim Thomas all giving me angry looks and saying that he couldn’t wait to go to Pittsburgh and do that to our logo. I smirked and hit reply.

I’d like to see you try! =P

I hit send and then put down my phone, but only to pick it up a minute later when I heard the ringtone going off and looking down to see that my cousin, Dana was calling me. I smiled and then picked up the phone and answered it, “Hey girl, what’s up?”

“Maggie! How are you? Is this a bad time?” she asked and I smirked and looked at the menu.

“No, you’re fine, what’s up?” I asked and she sighed, “Everything all right?”

“Not really, I have a really big favor to ask of you,” she said and I looked down.

“All right, fire away,” I said and looked towards Mike who was talking with Emma.

“You see, our teams not doing really well and we’re probably not going to make it to the playoffs again,” she said, talking about her high school hockey team, “My spring break is coming up next month, can I come to Pittsburgh for the break so you can give me some tips?”

“Well, when’s your break?” I asked and she sounded like she was looking for the dates.

“Uh, March fifth through the sixteenth- But if you count weekends, we’ve got the third through the eighteenth,” she said and I looked down the table towards Sidney.

“Gimme a sec, let me look at the schedule,” I said and pulled the phone away from my ear, “Sid!” he looked at me, “You have the schedule handy?” I asked and he nodded his head and pulled out his wallet and I smirked as he pulled out the folded piece of paper and passed it down the table, “Thanks.”

“Where are you?” Dana asked as I held the phone to my shoulder and opened the schedule.

“Uh, we’re in Boston right now, have a game in two days,” I said and scanned my eyes to March; “You said the third?”

“Yeah,” she said and I looked at the dates, “The third through the eighteenth.”

“Well,” I paused to do a plan in my head, “We come back on the fourth from Colorado, and then we’re home until the ninetieth. So if you wanna come down for the fifth through the seventeenth, that’ll be good,” I said and then quickly shoved the phone away from my ear when I heard her scream and this got the attention of some of the guys that were sitting close to me, “Damn girl, you’ve got a set of lungs.”

“Sorry,” she giggled and I rubbed my ear.

“Have Aunt Lisa call me later tonight and we’ll talk about it, all right?”

“Ok,” she said and I could hear the sixteen year old’s smile on her face, “You know that she doesn’t like me playing right?”

“Yeah, I know, how’s your dad handling it?” I asked, because like his brother, my dad, he used to play hockey.

“He’s all right, but he’s not Uncle Dave,” Dana said and I giggled.

“Honey, no one is like my dad,” I said and we laughed and then said our goodbyes.

“What was that?” Mike asked as he leaned forward to look passed Emma to look at me since she was sitting on one side and Marc on the other.

“Dana’s coming next month for her spring break, I’m gunna help her with her hockey,” I said and he nodded his head.

“Who’s Dana?” Max asked from across from me, “Is she another cousin?" he asked and I nodded my head, "Is she hot too- Like the twins?”

I smirked and shook my head, “She’s sixteen.”

“Damn, too young,” he said and some of the guys laughed.

“Sorry Talbo.”