‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Three

-Maggie-
I woke up to hearing the smoke alarming going off in my house. I just shot up and then jumped out of my bed and ran down the stairs. The dogs were barking and I heard pots and pans banging in the kitchen. I heard cursing and the alarm went off. I looked into the kitchen to see that Pat was trying to take a piece of burnt hot toast out of the toaster.

“Fuck,” he growled and then threw the toast away.

“Are you trying to burn my house down?” I asked and he looked at me surprised and then sighed.

“I was trying to make breakfast for you,” he said and I giggled.

“Trying being the key word,” I said and walked forward, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing his cheek. I felt his arms around my waist and he smirked towards me, “Maybe you should let me cook from now on,” I teased and winked towards him and he rolled his eyes.

“Should we go out?” Pat asked and I looked over his shoulder and giggled.

“Well, considering how you’re about to start a grease fire because you have the temperature too high on the potatoes frying,” I said and Pat turned around and then ran over towards my stove and turned the flame off, “I’d say yes.”

“Sorry,” he said as he came back over towards me and I smirked and placed my hands on his bare chest.

“Stick to hockey, sugar,” I said and winked towards him.

“And paying for breakfast?” he added and I giggled and nodded my head.

“Yes, and paying for breakfast,” I said and Pat pressed his lips onto mine and I tangled my fingers in his hair.

It was Valentine’s Day, Pat and I were in the hot tub for a while yesterday and then we ended up just falling asleep together watching the Sabres-Bruins game in my room. I knew that Emma was going to be with Mike the whole day, so I didn’t need to worry about anyone coming home and seeing Pat in his boxers all day.

Pat and I made our way back up to my room and he walked over towards his suitcase while I went to my closet. I changed into jeans and a red long sleeve shirt and grabbed my pink scarf. I slipped my black Chuck Taylors on and walked out into the room as Pat was pulling on jeans, still shirtless. I walked up behind him placed my hands on his back and kissed his shoulder. He looked at me and smirked and then turned around and he grabbed me by the loop of my jeans and pulled my closer towards him.

“You’re trouble,” Pat teased and I giggled and ran my hands over his chest and I started to kiss his neck, “With a capital ‘T’!”

“Damn right,” I breathed and Pat chuckled and then pressed his lips onto mine.

“Definitely trouble,” he breathed and then kissed my head. My stomach growled and Pat chuckled and kissed my cheek, “Can we go for food?”

“I suppose,” I said and he smirked and then pulled back and grabbed his shirt. I walked over towards my jewelry box on my dresser and opened the lid to see the necklace that Kris got me for Christmas last year. It was my jersey number in diamonds and white gold.

“Whatchya got?” Pat asked as he came up behind me, wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my neck, “What’s this?” he asked as he picked up the necklace, Kris’ necklace and held it up, “That’s cool, how come you don’t wear this?”

“Because I don’t have the heart to get rid of it, but I don’t want to wear,” I said and then grabbed it and picked up the one tray in the box and threw the necklace at the bottom.

“It from him?” Pat asked and I nodded my head and felt him hug me tighter and then he left me go and I looked in the mirror and watched him walk to his suitcase. I looked down and grabbed the diamond studs that Pat had gotten me for my birthday, threw my hair up in a ponytail and threw the earrings on, “Mags.”

I turned around and smiled when Pat was standing in front of me with a little teddy bear that was holding a heart, “Will you be my Valentine?”

“You’re so cheesy,” I laughed and then walked over towards him, wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him, “But yes.”

Pat handed me the little teddy bear and I smiled and hugged it, “He’s cute,” I said and then walked over towards my nightstand and placed him behind the picture that I had of Pat and I at the zoo for my birthday.

“I didn’t see that before,” he said and walked over to look at it, “We look good.”

I giggled and patted his cheek and then watched as he pulled out a box from his back pocket and handed it to me, “What’s this?”

“Open it,” he said and I opened the lid and smiled when I saw the necklace. It was two hockey sticks crossed together with diamonds covering them and then a black diamond in-between them representing the puck.

“It’s awesome,” I breathed and picked up the jewelry and just looked at it.

“I made it,” he said and I looked at it, “Well- I designed it, other people made it,” he smirked and I pressed my lips against his and wrapped my arms around his chest.

“Thank you,” I said and then unclipped the chain and moved my scarf. Pat took the necklace and walked behind me and clipped it on me. I smiled brightly, looking down at it and then turning towards him and pressing my lips against his against, “Thank you.”

“Anytime,” he breathed against my neck and I felt his hands at my waist, “Now can we go for breakfast?”

I giggled; I was hungry too, “Yes.”

-Mike-
“So Kane is really there?” I asked and Emma smirked and nodded her head, she was lying in bed with me, on her stomach with the sheets wrapped around her.

“Yup, showed up yesterday,” she said and I looked up at the ceiling, “I answered the door and was like ‘Are you really here’,” she said and I chuckled, “Even poked him and everything.”

“You poked him?” I asked and she giggled and nodded her head, “Really?”

“Yup, had to make sure that he was,” she said and I rolled my eyes, “I think he surprised Maggie- Hell, he surprised me.”

“He really is something else,” I said and felt Emma cuddle against my side.

“You gunna tell the others?” she asked and I looked at her and shrugged my shoulders.

“It doesn’t really matter,” I said and then looked at her, “The kid looks like he’s gunna try and form something with her, and if he’s willing to fly in at random times, especially when he’s in the middle of a two week away game trip, just for Valentine’s Day, then- I don’t know, I’ll give him a chance.”

“Sounds like you want to date him,” Emma teased and I looked at her and rolled my eyes and she giggled.

“As long as he doesn’t hurt Mags, I won’t do anything to stop whatever the hell they are,” I said and Emma kissed my shoulder.

“We both know that Maggie doesn’t need her heart broken again,” Emma said and I nodded my head, “You think if she and Kane start to get serious, she’ll move to Chicago?”

“Well, if she didn’t leave because of Letang, then I don’t think she’ll leave before her contract ends with the Penguins,” I said and she sighed.

“When’s that?” she asked and I looked at her.

“Oh, we’ve got a while,” I said and she nodded her head, “Our contract doesn’t end until the end of the 2014 season.”

“If Maggie does leave to go to Chicago,” Emma sat up a little, “Will you go too? I know you two don’t like to play against each other.”

I pushed myself up a little and looked at her, I cupped her chin and she looked at me, “Would you come with me?”

“I would try,” she said and then looked down, “I wouldn’t have a job.”

“Then don’t get one, I’ll take care of you- You know that,” I said and she looked at me and kissed my hand.

“And you know that I won’t take advantage of your money,” she said and I sighed and nodded my head, “Can we just talk about this later- I mean we have two years- And we don’t even know if she’ll leave!”

“All right,” I said and she smiled and pushed herself on top of me and pressed her lips onto mine, “You know, Maggie’s lucky to have a friend like you.”

“Yeah well, she’s lucky to have a brother like you,” she said and I smirked, remembering back when the three of us would always hang together, or when Emma would always be at the rink watching Maggie and I play the sport that we love.

“I’m lucky to have you too, you’ve always been there for us, for me,” I said and she smiled brightly.

“There’s a reason for that, ya goof,” she giggled and I smirked, placed my hand on the back of her neck and then pressed my lips against hers, “I love ya, that’s why.”