‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Thirty

“Hello Maggie,” Andy said as he opened his office door and saw my waiting in the waiting room, “Come on in, we’re just waiting on one more.”

“One more?” I asked as I looked at him as I passed him, “Who?”

“Mr. Lemieux will be joining us today,” he said and my eyes widened as I made my way over towards the couch and sat down, “How are you?”

“Fine,” I said and sighed, turning my head towards the window.

A few minutes passed and there was a knock at the door, Andy opened it and I saw Mario walking in and was confused as to why he wanted to be here. They spoke for a few minutes and Mario walked in, patted my shoulder and then took a seat on the chair next to the couch I was on.

“So, Maggie, Mario is here to see how you are progressing and to ask a few things himself,” Andy said and I looked at him and then at Mario, “But first, how are you doing?”

“I said I was fine,” I said and looked back at Mario.

“Anything new over the past few days?” he asked and I shook my head, “Have you been on the ice?”

“Twice,” I said, “Sid and Flower were with me.”

“Good, good, any flashbacks?” he asked and I looked towards the ground and sighed.

“Two,” I breathed and then closed my eyes.

“How have you been handling these flashbacks?” Mario asked and I just looked at the ground, “Maggie?”

“Not well,” I said, knowing that I sounded defeated, “Worst before than now.”

“Have you turned to drugs? Maybe alcohol?” Andy asked and I snapped my head up and looked at him.

‘…I’m gunna fuckin’ kill you, Sid…’ I thought and then clenched my fists.

“Maggie?”

“Yeah,” I said and looked towards the window.

“Yes?” Mario asked.

“I turned to alcohol a few times,” I said and sighed.

“Maggie, alcohol is a depressant,” Andy said and I rolled my eyes, “You’re depressed over your brother’s loss. You don’t need to drown your sorrows in a bottle.”

“I’m fine,” I said and looked at Andy who was just giving me a look, “I’m fine, all right? I haven’t touched a bottle since the season ended,” I said and then rubbed my face; “I didn’t like the hangovers.”

“So you haven’t touched a drop for a week?” Mario asked and I looked at him and nodded my head, “Maggie?”

“Not a drop, Mario, ask Sid, he’s practically babysitting me,” I muttered and then dug my nails into my jeans.

-Sidney-
“Are you all right, Emma?” I asked as I looked at Emma who hung her head over the toilet.

“Out of the way, out of the way,” Kasey sang as she ran towards me and then passed me into the bathroom, “Go Sid, I’ve got this.”

“Uh-“

“Go, I took care of my sister when she was pregnant,” she said and I nodded my head and practically ran out of the room.

I sighed and walked down the stairs of Maggie’s house and heard the front door slam, I looked and saw an angry Maggie stomping into the room, “Hey, what’s up-“ she punched me hard in the cheek and I hit the wall, “What the fuck, Maggie?!”

“You told Mario that I was turning my sorrows to the bottle?!” she growled and my eyes widened, “What is wrong with you?”

“Me? What’s wrong with you?! I’m just trying to help!”

“I don’t need or want your help, Sid!” she snapped and then turned around and headed for the kitchen.

‘…That’s not true; she would have told me to get out if it was…’ I thought and watched her disappear. I sighed and then followed her into the kitchen and saw that she was leaning her hands against the counter, her head down and it looked like she was crying, “Maggie?”

“I’m not doing well, Sid,” she muttered and I sighed, “Every time I try to get back out there, to pull myself together on the ice, I just- I don’t know how I’m going to pull myself together for the next season.”

“Maggie,” I walked over towards her and hugged her.

“I miss him, Sid, I don’t know- I just don’t know what I’m going to do,” she said and I held her against me and rubbed her back.

“Hey babe-“ Maggie snapped up and I turned to see Kasey in the doorway, “Oh, uh,” she looked awkward.

“Kasey,” Maggie pulled away, “It’s not-“

“It’s all right,” she gave a small smile and walked over, “I’m sorry about Mike,” she said, it was the first time that Maggie had see Kasey since the incident, “I’m really sorry,” Kasey said and then hugged Maggie.

“Thanks,” Maggie said and Kasey pulled back and held Maggie’s shoulders.

“What’s up, Kas?” I asked and she looked at me.

“Oh uh, Emma’s asleep again, her temperature is up, but hopefully it’ll be down during her sleep,” Kasey said and Maggie looked confused.

“Temperature? Emma’s sick?” Maggie asked and looked at me.

“Yeah, I came over to check on you, but Emma answered the door and didn’t look good and basically ran to the bathroom,” I said and Maggie sighed.

“Her nerves are shot, and her being pregnant doesn’t help, at least, that’s what the doctor told us,” Maggie said and then sighed, “I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

“Maggie,” I called and she looked at me.

“It’s going to be all right, we’re all going to help you and Emma,” I said and she looked at me and nodded her head.

“I’m sorry for punching you,” she said and I nodded my head.

“Wait- What? Punching?” Kasey said and looked at me wide eyed.

“It’s nothing,” I said and chuckled, “Although, you do need to work on your right hook, Mags.”

“Oh, hardy har har,” she giggled towards me and I smiled.

“That’s the first positive reaction I’ve gotten out of you,” I said and she just looked at me, “Maybe when Kane get’s his ass here, he’ll make you smile some more.”

“When is he coming?” she asked and I looked at my watch.

“Should be here by tonight,” I said and she gave a small smile and nodded her head, “Don’t tell me you forgot.”

“Might have slipped my mind,” she said and then sighed.

-Kane-
It’s been a week since we lost in the first round to Phoenix in the playoffs, this was the second year in a row that we lost in the first round and it wasn’t sitting well with our team. The only plus side to this was that I got to go and see Maggie, who wasn’t playing, but even if she was, her team was out in the first round as well. I had to leave Chicago later than I wanted to because some last minute stuff with the team, and then I needed to stop home in Buffalo and see my family before I drove down to Pittsburgh to be with Maggie for two weeks.

The drive was only less than four hours. I left later in the day because I wanted to stop at my house along the water and open it up. I had people come and clean it, there was nothing other than dust, but I was having it aired out.

When I arrived in Pittsburgh, to Maggie’s house, I saw a Range Rover outside. I pulled in behind Maggie’s Escalade and then went towards the house, leaving my bags in the car to get later. I rang the doorbell and was surprised to see a small blonde girl answer the door; I’d never seen her before.

“Uh, hi,” I said awkwardly.

“Hi, you must be Pat,” she said and I nodded my head, “I’m Kasey, she’s upstairs with Emma.”

“Nice to meet you,” I said and looked her up and down, ‘…She’s pretty cute. Wonder who’s girl she is?...’ I thought and then walked into the room and heard someone coming down the stairs.

“Kas, Emma’s getting- Oh hey, you’re here,” I saw Crosby appear and nodded my head.

“Emma’s getting?”

“Oh, she’s gettin’ sick again, babe,” he said and I was a little surprised.

‘…Babe? Good for Crosby…’ I thought and watched as the girl ran up the stairs, “The great Crosby finally gunna settle down?” I asked and he looked at me and I snickered when his face started to turn red, “Maggie said you were tease to chirp.”

“Fuck you, man,” he said with a smirk on his face.

“How is she?” I asked and he sighed.

“The flashbacks are starting to go, but she’s- Well, she’s not good, but she’s better,” he said and I nodded my head, “A little every day.”

“She been going on the ice?” I asked and he sighed.

“Twice, both times she had a flashback,” he said and I nodded my head, “Maybe you can take her out on the ice- I don’t know, Fleury and I have been trying to help her.”

“She’s been telling me,” I said and Crosby looked at me, “I’ll see what I can do to help.”

“Thanks, we really need her back for the season,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Yeah well, from what I heard, there might not be a season,” I said sadly because the other day they were talking about a lockout, “That just a rumor?”

“For now it is, teams are still playing, it’s too soon to see what’s going to happen,” Crosby said and I nodded my head.

“I guess the face of the league would know, huh?” I asked and he sighed.

“Just focus on Maggie.”

“That’s what I’m here for,” I said and then headed for the stairs to go up and see my girl.