‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Thirty Two

-Sidney-
“I need-“

“You don’t need anything, Kane,” I said as the two of us walked off of the ice and went towards the locker room. I opened the door and looked in to see Kris and Maggie kissing, my eyes widened and I closed the door quickly and looked at Kane.

“What?”

“Nothing, they’re just talking,” I lied and he looked at me.

“Let me in there,” he said and I held out my hand.

“You stay here, this is Penguin matter,” I said and Kane growled at me, “Just go wait on the ice.”

“I’ll wait right here,” he said and then leaned against the wall and I sighed and nodded my head, turning back towards the door and opening it again, seeing Kris hugging Maggie now.

“What the hell?!” I hiss and the two look at me.

“It’s nothing,” Kris said and then pulled back from Maggie, “We’re just friends.”

“Then what the hell was that kiss? You’re fuckin’ lucky that I closed the door before Kane saw,” I said and Maggie nodded her head.

“I’m going to head home,” Kris said and I watched him give a little squeeze to Maggie’s shoulder before heading for the door. He opened the door and Kane was standing right there, glaring at him, “You better fuckin’ take care of Maggie- Or I’ll kill you.”

I looked at him confused and then back towards Maggie, she was just looking towards the door. Kris walked away and Kane walked in and over towards Maggie.

“Everything all right?” Kane asked and Maggie nodded her head.

“What was that?” I asked and she looked at me.

“We’re just going to be friends,” she said and I looked at her.

‘…So he was saying goodbye, well, in a way…’ I thought and then sighed, “The guys will be here soon, why don’t you get the ice ready for them,” I said and Maggie nodded her head and pulled Pat along.

-Maggie-
“You sure you’re all right, Maggie?” Pat asked as we set up some pucks.

I looked at him and then skated over towards him, placed my hands on his shoulders and pressed my lips against his. I felt his hands on my waist; I pulled back a little and smiled, “I’m all right.”

“I’ll always love you, Maggie,” Kris said and I nodded my head, “I’m always going to regret my mistake.”

“Kris, please, I really like Pat,” I said, “You’re right that I might have rushed into it, but- I just- I thought with him being in Chicago and me being in Pittsburgh, that it’ll help with the whole rushing thing.”

“Do you want to be with me, Maggie?” he asked and I looked at him sadly, both of his hands were on my neck, I felt some tears creep down my cheek, he quickly brushed them away with his thumbs.

“I’ll always love you too, Kris, but,” I sighed and looked down and then back up at him, “I want to be with Pat.”

“Do you trust him?” Kris asked and I nodded my head, “Maggie, you know his reputation-“

“We’ve been through this, Kris,” I said and he sighed and nodded his head.

“If I can’t have you,” he looked at me sadly, “Can we be friends?” he asked and I gave a small smile.

“You have to stop fighting with Pat every time he comes,” I said and Kris nodded his head, “Promise me.”

“I promise,” he said and we just looked at each other, “Mags,” he breathed and I looked into his eyes. Kris lips were on mine and his hand moved to the back of my neck. I didn’t know what he was doing, I didn’t know what I was doing, he was kissing me and I was kissing him back.

We broke apart and I just looked at him, “Why-“

“I needed to feel you one last time, before we’re just friends,” he said and I nodded my head and then felt him hug me, “I’ll still always love you, Maggie.”


“Are you zoning out on me?” I heard and shook my head to see Marc in front of me smirking.

“Flower,” I gave a small smile and felt him pat me shoulder.

“Come on, we’ve got to get you ready for the season,” he said and I nodded my head and saw some others coming onto the ice in their practice gear.

-Kane-
I watched as Maggie skated on the ice, doing some drills with her teammates, she was a little shaky, managed to fight through one flashback, but it didn’t last long thankfully. It’s almost over a month since Mike died, Maggie was still taking it hard, but she’s getting better. It’s been about a week since the incident with Letang on the ice, things were better, we didn’t particularly like each other, but we at least stopped fighting and glaring at each other.

The season had ended; the LA Kings had won the cup, beating the New Jersey Devils. I was only supposed to be in Pittsburgh for two weeks, but ended up staying longer. The NHL Awards were next week, held in Las Vegas, and Maggie and I were going to leave together, her teammates, at least the ones that stayed in Pittsburgh to help Maggie, were going to leave to head to their homes after.

I watched as Maggie stole the puck off of Neal and skated towards Fleury, she backhanded it at the net and I smiled brightly, for the first time during their practice sessions, the first time since Mike died, she scored a goal. Maggie screamed ‘yes’ loudly into the air and I laughed as her teammates, all of her teammates, even the ones she was facing against, crowded her into a hug.

‘…She’s coming back…’ I thought as I watched her, happy to see that smile on her face, that smile that I hadn’t seen since before her brother’s passing, ‘…Good for you, Maggie…’

I few more hours and they were finished practicing, Maggie managed to score one more goal that night and she was proud of herself. Tomorrow they would take the day off and we’d all be back here the day after. I waited as Maggie was in the locker room, showering and changing into her jean shorts and tank top that she had come in.

“Ready?” Maggie asked as she came out of the locker room, I was looking down at m phone, answering a text from Jon, asking how Pittsburgh was.

“Yeah,” I smiled and laced my fingers with hers and then we headed towards the parking garage. Maggie drove back to her place and we walked into the home, greeted the dogs and I saw boxes in the living room, “Mags?” I called, she was in the kitchen.

“Yeah?”

“What’s with the boxes?” I asked and Maggie walked into the room and sighed.

She walked over towards one and opened it up, “They’re Mike’s things. Nick’s over there with some of his friends packing up the house.”

“What’s going to happen to the house?” I asked.

“Nick and Emma are going to live in it, they’re just packing up his clothes, we’re donating them,” she said and I walked over towards her, “Nick didn’t want Emma or I over there.”

“Why?”

“Didn’t want up to start crying again,” she said and I gave her a sad smile and hugged her.

“Emma went back to Texas?” I asked and Maggie nodded her head.

“She’ll be there for the summer, mom and dad are giving Emma everything of Mike’s; money, house, car-“

“Are you ok with that?” I asked and she looked at me.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine, I just wanted some pictures, and this,” she said and then pulled out the chain that was around her neck and showed me the gold cross, “It was Mikey’s.”

“Come ‘ere,” I said and Maggie looked at me, “Come on,” I said and pulled her arm a little. I drug her to the kitchen, slid the back door opened and walked outside, Jazz, Bella and Stanley following us.

“What are we doing, Pat?” she asked and I smiled towards her and walked over towards the little beach chair she had and sat down, pulling her down with me.

“Relaxing,” I said as I pulled my sunglasses on and smirked towards her.

Maggie giggled and then laid her legs out and leaned back against me, turning on her side a little and laying her head on my chest. I plopped my legs onto the long chair and adjusted the chair back so that it was leaning back more. Maggie was in-between my legs and her hands on my chest, my arms were wrapped around her waist.

I heard Maggie suck in a breath and then watched as she leaned up and looked at me, “Thank you,” she said and I looked at her confused, “For being here, for being you.”

“I love you, Mags,” I smiled and she looked up towards me and then pressed her lips against mine and then moved up me more, snuggling her face into my neck.

“I love you too, Pat.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So did Pat win Maggie?