‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Thirty Eight

“I honestly wished you would have called, Patrick,” his mom said as she walked outside on the back porch, where Pat had drug me after the sight we saw in the kitchen.

“Trust me, I will next time,” he said and I giggled.

“Maggie, how are you sweetie? I haven’t seen you since January! I’m sorry about your brother,” she said and I flinched and then nodded my head.

“I’m fine, thank you,” I said and she nodded her head and then hugged me.

“Good to see you still with my son, how though? Don’t you ever get sick of him?” she asked and I giggled.

Moooom, really?”

“Hush, Pat, I’m bonding,” she said and then wrapped her arm around my back and started to pull me away just as I heard the door open and Pat’s dad walked outside.

“So really, how are you?” his mom asked and I looked at her.

“I’m doing better, it’s been almost three months,” I said and she nodded her head.

“The first two years are always the hardest,” she said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“Pat’s been helping me out a lot,” I said and smiled back towards Pat, “Between him and my
teammates- I think I’d be lost.”

“It’s always great to have people to help you through this,” she said and I nodded my head, “My husband and I watched the awards, congratulations on winning the Hart.”

“Oh,” I laughed nervously, “Thank you.”

“We saw that your brother won the Norris trophy,” she said and I bit my lip and nodded my head, “It’s hard to talk about him, isn’t it?”

“Yeah- I’m sorry, I-“

“Don’t apologize, it’s completely normal to feel like that,” she said and I looked at her and gave her a small smile.

“He uh, he was supposed to get married next summer to our friend, Emma, and she’s supposed to have their first child in December,” I said sadly and wiped my face from the tear that fell.

“Oh, honey, I’m sorry, I didn’t know that,” she said and I nodded my head, “Ok, let’s talk about something else!”

“Ok,” I laughed a little and sniffled as I wiped my face again.

“So how long are you in town for?”

“Three weeks,” I said and smiled, “Though, Pat and I are going back to Pittsburgh this weekend for a wedding and then coming back here and then going back in another two weeks for another wedding and from there I’ll go to Vancouver to pick up my cousin and then to Denver to train.”

“Busy summer,” she said and I nodded my head, “You have a cousin in the NHL?”

“Uh, no, my cousin Dana, she plays hockey for her high school team. She came to Pittsburgh during her spring break to train and I promised her that this summer I would take her to a professional trainer- She really wants to play hockey and her parents aren’t willing to pay for camps and stuff, so I’m taking care of it all.”

“That’s so nice of you- She must really look up to you!” she said and I laughed.

“Who looks up to you?” Pat asked and his mom and I turned around.

“Dana,” I answered and he nodded his head.

“That the one that slammed the door in my face?” Pat asked and I giggled and nodded my head.

“Why did she slam a door in your face?” his dad asked.

“She was starrstuck,” I giggled, “She didn’t mean to, she had met the whole Bruins team- her favorite team- the day before and then all of a suddenly Pat and Tazer are on my front porch- She had no control of her actions.”

“Oh,” his mom laughed, “That’s too cute.”

“You said her favorite team is the Bruins?” his dad asked and I smirked and nodded my head, “Bet you love that.”

I laughed and shrugged my shoulders, “She was raised a Bruins fan, my dad played for them.”

“Oh, I know,” he said and I laughed, “Thought she would have switched to Penguins.”

“In my family you’re only allowed to cheer for the Bruins and Penguins, and when we face each other- Flip a coin,” I said and they laughed.

“Blackhawks?” Pat asked.

“Yeah, I’m the only exception to that, you haven’t won my family over yet,” I said and he smirked and shrugged his shoulders.

“In time,” he said and I smirked.

“Helloooooo?!” we heard and then saw the door open and one of his sisters walked out, though I couldn’t remember which one.

“Oh, Erica! You’re home from work already?!” Pat’s mom asked and Erica looked at me and smiled.

“Hi Maggie! When did you get in town?” she asked as she hurried over towards me and hugged me, completely ignoring her mother’s question.

“Uh, last night.”

“Pattie cakes!”

“Don’t call me that,” Pat whined as Erica walked over towards him and hugged him.

“I didn’t know you were coming home! I thought you would stay in Pittsburgh,” she said and Pat smirked and shrugged his shoulders.

“Mags never saw Buffalo before, thought I’d bring her up here,” he said and I smiled and nodded my head.

“Then what the hell are you doing here?!” Erica asked and pulled Pat up from his seat, which she struggled with, “Go show her around!”

“Why are we being kicked out?” Pat asked.

“In fact, you should bring mom and dad too!” Eric yelled as she pushed her brother.

“Now we’re all being kicked out!” Mr. Kane said and I giggled and stood up.

“Erica?”

Moooooom,” Erica whined and then pouted, “Ben’s coming over soon!”

“Ben?” Patrick asked confused.

“Oh, Ben’s coming?” Mr. Kane asked, “All the more reason to stay!”

Daaaaaaaaad!”

“Who’s Ben?” Pat asked again and I giggled.

“It’s this boy she likes,” Mrs. Kane answered and Erica pouted.

“Oh no, we’re not leaving then,” Pat said as he stomped his feet and crossed his arms.

“Pat! GO away!” she yelled and I smirked, stood up and walked over towards Pat.

“I can’t promise about your parents, Erica, but I can promise that Pat won’t be here,” I said and slipped my arms around Pat’s arm.

“Oh, I’m not leaving,” he said and I looked at him and smirked.

“You’re not going to take me out onto the boat?” I asked with a sly smirk on my face and he just looked at me. I hoped that he remembered what I told him I wanted to do out on the boat; I think he did because I was watching him squirm in front of me, and then he finally broke.
Pat cursed and then looked towards Erica, “I wanna meet him before I leave!”

“Nope! Thanks Maggie!”

“I wouldn’t mind going out on the boat, dear,” Mrs. Kane told Mr. Kane and I watched as Erica’s smile brightly, and I felt Patrick tense next to me.

‘…They have their own boat, right?...’ I thought and looked at Pat, ‘…It might be a little hard to fuck with his parents’ right there…’

“You can go, I’m staying riiiiiight here,” Mr. Kane said and smirked, “Now, where did I put my shotgun?”

DAD!!!"