‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Four

-Kane-
“Who do you think’s gunna win?” Corey asked and I shook my head not knowing.

Corey, Brent, Duncan, Jon, Sharp and Abby were at my place watching the Flyers vs Penguins game. We had a game this afternoon against the Blue Jackets and won, it was our first home game in a long time and we were happy to be back.

“So how was Pittsburgh?” Abby asked and I looked at her and smirked, “When he told me that you went to surprise Maggie, I was-“

“She wouldn’t stop squealing!” Sharp said and Abby slapped him and we laughed.

“Good for you Pat!” Abby said and I nodded my head, “What did you get her?”

“A necklace,” I said and then grabbed my phone and tried to find a picture of Maggie and I where you could see the necklace.

“Yeah, but not just a necklace,” Jon said and shoved my shoulder, “Kaner here designed it himself- Boy’s got some creativity!”

“Shut up,” I muttered when everyone laughed and I found a picture and zoomed in on the necklace and handed it to Abby.

“Wow, that’s pretty- And so hockey,” she said and I chuckled, “Aw, you guys are so cute together,” she said and I figured that she zoomed out to see the whole picture, “Any dirty pictures?”

“Abby!” Sharp yelled and we laughed and I blushed a little.

“Hey! It’s starting!” Brent yelled and we all looked at the TV and I smiled when I saw Maggie in her white away game sweater, since they were in Philly.

The announcers then put the camera on the big Russian, Vladimir Kokorin, he had an angry look on his face and he hit that puck so hard I wasn’t surprised when their goalie moved out of the way. I watched each team warmed up and worried that Maggie was going to get hurt with that Kokorin guy.

“Man, that guy gives me the creeps,” Brent said and I nodded my head.

“Yeah well, you don’t have to be in the net when he’s about to do a one timer on ya,” Corey said and we chuckled, “Fuckin’ thought he broke my hand when I caught that puck.”

“We were surprised that you caught that puck,” Jon said and I nodded my head, “But happy too.”

I looked towards the screen again and saw that it was on Maggie again, Mike was next to her and they were talking about something, then Maggie grabbed a puck and shot it towards Fleury, managing to sneak it between his legs.

“She is a damn good player,” Sharp said and I nodded my head.

“You think when the Olympic come around; she’ll play for the men’s team? Or the women’s again?” Abby asked and we looked at her and shrugged our shoulders.

“I wouldn’t mind having her on my team,” I said and the guys smirked, the only American in the room.

“Don’t know, probably women’s, but- Since she’s able to keep up with us, maybe they’ll let her play on the men’s,” Duncan said and I nodded my head.

“Men’s, women’s, it doesn’t matter, we’re still gunna kick your ass,” Jon said and I smirked and punched his shoulder.

“We’ll see about that,” I said and we laughed.

-Maggie-
“James!” I yelled because I was opened and coming up to the net.

James spotted me and then passed the puck, it went in-between Giroux’s legs and I caught it and did a one-timer right towards the net, cheering when it hit the back of the net and the score was four to three, Pittsburgh. We were about forty seconds into the third period and things were getting physical.

We celebrated our goal and then James, Geno, Mike, Matt and I stayed on the ice for another shift. When we were heading back down to the Flyers’ net, I was skating along the boards, passing the Flyers’ bench and getting ready to go passed mine when I heard someone on the bench yell behind me, I turned my head and saw Kokorin coming at me, skate first to try and trip me. I passed the puck to someone before jumping in the air and missing his skate, quickly getting away from him before something happened.

‘…Fuckin’ asshole…’ I growled and then continued playing the game. The whistle was blown and Pittsburgh was called for offside. I went back to the bench and another line was coming on.

“Nice jump,” Cooke said and I smirked.

“Thanks for the warning,” I said and he shook his head and nudged it towards Kris, “He gave it?”

“Yeah,” Cooke said awkwardly and I sighed and looked towards the ice, not knowing how to approach that.

The game went on; we got another goal by Jordan and was up by two. There were about eight minutes left in the game and I was on the ice again with Geno’s line. James had the puck and was flying down the ice passing it between his teammates. Matt passed the puck to me and I passed it to Geno right before I felt myself being plunged into and I went flying.

I was skating along the boards in front of the bench; I really needed to learn not to do that anymore, especially against this team. I was hit and pushed into the boards so hard that I flipped over and landed on the ground hard, feeling my legs bent onto the bench.

“Maggie!” I heard, my eyes were closed and faced was scrunched up.

“Yup,” I groaned, “That hurt,” I breathed and felt my whole body aching. I heard multiple whistles, the roar of the cheering Flyers fans, and concerned questions from my teammates.

“Maggie,” I could hear Jack, one of the trainers calling.

“Gimmie a second,” I muttered and then groaned as I pushed myself up, pulling my legs off of the bench, happy that I didn’t cut anyone with my blades, and took a deep breath.

“Are you hurt?” Jack asked.

“Uh, I don’t think so,” I said, pausing to see if anything was broken, “Just sore,” I said and he nodded his head, “Thank god.”

“Damn lucky,” he said and I nodded my head.

“You all right?” I heard and looked up to see James, Geno and Matt leaning over and looking down at me.

“Yeah, I’m all right,” I said tiredly and they nodded their heads, “Where’s Mikey?”

“Uh,” James looked back, “Trying to fight the refs for pulling him away from Kokorin.”

“Wonderful,” I said and then saw Sidney and Pascal’s hand appear in front of me. I grabbed them and they helped me stand and I shook my head and moved my joints around, “I think I’m good.”

“Thanks good,” Sidney said and I nodded my head.

“Fuckin’ hurt though,” I said and Jack chuckled.

“It looked like it did,” he said and I nodded my head and then climbed back over the ice to do another shift.

‘…Fuck, definitely gotta stay away from him…’ I thought as I bent over and took a deep breath, trying to control the pain.

“You all right?” Mike asked as he came over towards me and I nodded my head, “Good.”

“Move it,” the ref said and started to pull Mike towards the doors.

“What’s going on?” I asked and James came over towards me.

“He’s being ejected,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head, “Picked a fight with the refs.”

“Mikey,” I whined and then looked towards Kokorin, who was locked away in the penalty box, “What the fuck is his problem?”

“He’s a Flyer, they all have problems,” Sidney said in disgust as he came up next to us. I looked at him and then sighed, “Hit the locker room, Doc wants to look over you to make sure you’re not broken.”

“I’m fine,” I said and Sidney nodded his head.

“Just to be sure, you never know,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head and headed to the door that was leading off the ice. One of the staff opened the door, Marc was sitting on the stool since Johnson was in the net.

“You all right?” he asked and I nodded my head.

“Doc just wants to look me over to make sure nothing’s wrong,” I said and he nodded his head and patted my back as I walked passed him and down the hallway to the locker room.

When I walked in, Mike was in the middle of taking off his gear, he saw me and shot up, “What’s wrong?”

“Relax, Doc just wants to look me over,” I said and he relaxed and nodded his head.

I took my gear off and then headed into the medic room where Doc was waiting for me, “How are you feeling?”

“Sore,” I said and he nodded his head and motioned for me to hop onto the table.

Doc looked me over and at the end patted my shoulder, “You’re all right,” he said and I smiled and nodded my head, “You landed oddly, so I wanted to make sure that you were ok. I think that land might have saved you, because that would have been more painful if you didn’t land like that.”

“It was painful then,” I said and he chuckled and then told me to hit the showers since there wasn’t a lot of time left in the game, ‘…I’m happy that it’s not an injury, but damn did that hurt…’