‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Forty Two

“You sure you don’t mind?” Jamie Benn asked and I smiled and shook my head.

“Just as long as you don’t mind sharing a bathroom with two girls,” I giggled and he smirked and shook his head.

“Just don’t scream if I accidently walk in on either of you,” he said and I smirked.

“Dana’s sixteen,” I said and he just looked at me.

“I’ll knock,” he said quickly and I giggled and nodded my head.

“Probably best,” I said and my 2012 All Star teammate smirked and shook his head.

Apparently we all had forgotten about Jamie and since he showed up after me, when he did show up, there were no rooms. Dana ended up moving out of her bedroom and moving into mine, we were going to share the bed until we bought a blow up mattress.

It was the night before training begun, we were all in the living room, eating pizza and watching a very bad syfy movie. The boys told Dana that she would be able to decide what was for dinner and I told her to make it good because she wasn’t going to be able to have it for a long time if she was dedicated to the sport.

“Why are horror movies so predictable?” Jeff asked and I smirked and rolled my eyes, “Come on! The blonde girl always runs towards the creepy sound!”

“The druggies tend to die first,” Dana said and Sidney chuckled.

“There’s always a girl named Sarah somewhere in the movie,” Jamie said and I nodded my head.

“Watch, watch, watch, she’s gunna open the door and the dude is gunna be right there and kill her!” Jeff said and we just watched, and it did happen, “See!”

“You’ve seen this before?” Sidney said and Jeff laughed.

“Naw, please tell me- Other than the summer, do I have time to watch TV,” he said and I sighed.

“Pizza’s gone!” Dana yelled from the kitchen.

“Hey D! If Andy asks what we had, tell ‘em grilled kitchen and sugar peas!” I yelled and the guys looked at me.

“Dude! I didn’t even think of that- Nice!” Jamie smiled and then high fived me, “Smart.”

“We’re gunna lie to ‘em?” Dana asked as she walked over and looked at me, a pizza in her mouth.

“You want to tell Andy that you had three pieces of meat lovers pizza?” I asked and she just looked at me, “You do realize that that right there is like almost four hundred calories- Per slice.”

“Grilled chicken and sugar peas it is,” she said and I giggled.

“With vitamin water!” Sidney added and I looked at it next to me and knuckle bumped him.

“Nice!” I said and he smirked.

“I can’t believe I went along with it!”

“Welcome to the sneaky club, Crosby!” I laughed and Jeff and Jamie chuckled.

We all stayed up a little bit longer, but all went to our rooms just after nine. We needed to be at the rink at ten in the morning and we wanted to get a good amount of sleep because tomorrow was going to be a nightmare. Dana would be with us just to watch us and then Andy would take her the day after to start her training, he wanted her just to watch us to get a feel of what she was going to be doing.

When morning came, I woke up at seven thirty and headed downstairs to the kitchen. I walked towards the fridge and grabbed some eggs, everyone was going to get one egg, it was training time and it was time to follow Andy’s diet chart. A single egg, yogurt, fruit, wheat toast and milk for breakfast, sometimes I had a handful of almonds as well.

I grabbed five plates and bowls, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and saw Sidney turning into the kitchen, “Hey.”

“Hey,” I said and he looked at me and then sat on the stool in front of the island, “Can you grab the fruit and yogurt out of the fridge?”

“Yeah, want me to put them in the bowls?”

“And cut up the strawberries- I got those, blueberries and raspberries while I was shopping yesterday,” I said and Sidney nodded his head.

“Morning!” I heard and saw Jeff appear and walk over towards me, “Food?”

“You! Grab the wheat bread and start toasting it,” I said and he nodded his head and walked over towards the bread box.

“Where’s your cousin and Benn?” Sidney asked and I shrugged my shoulders.

“I think Jamie was in the bathroom when I came downstairs, Dana was still sleeping,” I said and then looked up and saw Dana standing there looking like a zombie, “Morning!”

“It’s too early,” she mumbled and collapsed onto the stool in front of the island and the guys laughed, “How are you so awake?”

“Early morning practices,” Sidney and I said at the same time and I saw him scooping some yogurt into the bowls and then asking Dana what fruit she wanted.

“Jeff, how do you want your egg?”

“Sunny side up,” he said and I nodded my head and cracked the egg into the pan.

I already made Sidney’s sunny side and Dana’s scrambled. I was working on Jeff’s when I heard the final member of our group appear in the kitchen and place himself next to Dana.

“Coffee?” he asked and I smirked.

“That’s your job today, Jamie,” I said and he chuckled and then looked towards Dana, “We’re technically not supposed to drink it, but they never say anything because at this age- We need it.”

“So is that another thing I don’t tell Andy?” Dana asked and I giggled.

“No, you can tell him, he already knows,” Sidney said and then leaned on the counter next to me.

-Sidney-
Maggie, Jeff, Jamie and I were in the locker room getting dressed; having come over together in the suburban, getting dressed in our gear with Matt Duchene walked in and smiled towards us.

“Gentlemen- Lady,” he said quickly when he saw Maggie standing next to me, “We ready for this?”

“Yup,” Maggie said and I looked at her, she just looked at me.

“You sure?” I asked and she looked down and nodded her head, this is going to be the first time in a while that she was on the ice and I was hoping that she wasn’t going to have a flashback. Although, Andy was already aware that she would most likely get them.

“So Crosby, what’s the news about this supposed lockout?” Duchene asked and I looked up to see everyone looking at me.

“I still haven’t heard anything more on it- Still just know that it’s a possibility,” I said and he sighed and nodded his head, “I know there’s a meeting in a month, so I guess we’ll find out then.”

“We’ll find out right before we go back to cities for strength and conditioning?” Carter said and I nodded my head.

“I don’t know, they might have something before then- I don’t know anything,” I said and then looked at Benn, the only other Captain in the room, “You hear anything?”

“No, nothing other than a possibility,” he said and I nodded my head, “I hope it doesn’t happen though.”

“Same here,” we all said and then sighed.

We were all dressed in our practice gear and then headed out onto the ice, Andy was already there talking to Dana, who was sitting on the bench, looking like she was trying to process everything that Andy was telling her. Jeff, Jamie, Matt, Maggie and I skated over towards him and stood in a line.

“Hello everyone,” Andy said and we all nodded our heads towards him, “Are we ready for training? Need to get you back into hockey shape. This is going to be a tough month for you five, we’re going to work harder and get your stronger- faster than you were before. So I hope you’re ready for this.”

-Dana-
“Move, move move!” Andy yelled as I watched as the boys and Maggie were doing sprints back and forth across the whole length of the ice. They’ve done it about ten times before Andy called them over; they’ve been on the ice doing different drills for over four hours now. Andy wanted them to get off the ice, out of their gear and to head to the gym.

I waited for Maggie outside of the locker room, it took a while for her to come out, but when she did, the boys were following her and they were all in shorts, sneakers and t-shirts; although, Maggie was in a sports bra.

“Ready?” Maggie asked and I looked at her and nodded my head, when I looked at her again, that was the first time I got a look at the scar on her side. I remember it happening last season, she slid right into a skate, but I couldn’t remember whose and she never really told us what happened.

We all walked down the hall, us the stairs and I watched as Maggie hopped each step and I looked at her muscles, they weren’t manly, but they were defined and helped her do her job on the ice. When I was in high school, my psychology teacher had us write a paper on who was our role model, most people chose their parents or siblings because they were their parents or siblings, but I chose Maggie. Yes, she might be my cousin, but she’s everything I want to be, a great athlete, a good and caring person, and a someone who isn’t afraid to speak their mind or throw down their gloves, ‘…I have to keep remembering that I am a Marshall...'