‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Forty Three

-Maggie-
“You’re such a bitch!” Jeff laughed as he tried to catch up with me as we did the mirror technique. This was when two people face each other, one person took the lead and just ran back and forth really fast, stopping and going the opposite direction at random times and we see how well the other person can keep up.

“Not my fault you’re too slow, Carter!” I smiled brightly, “What’s wrong? That Stanley ring holdin’ ya down or that big head of yours.”

I heard the guys snicker at my comment and I looked towards Jeff to see him rolling his eyes and shaking his head, “At least I have a ring!”

“Not for long, darlin’,” I smirked and winked towards him and felt Sidney pat my back.

“All right, Marshall, Carter, good job, Crosby, Duchene- Get in there,” Andy ordered and Jeff and I pounded knuckles before walking back towards the others and then grabbed a drink.

I looked over and saw Dana sitting on some mats just watching us, which was what she was supposed to be doing. I walked over towards her and smiled, wiping the sweat off of my face with my towel, “You holding up all right?”

“There’s a lot of work in this,” she said and I giggled and nodded my head, “How do you do it?”

“Never giving up,” I answered and she nodded her head, “It’s going to be tough at first for you before you’re not use to this kind of workout- But this is the proper workout.”

“All we do is lift weights and run a lot,” she said and I nodded my head.

“That’s what we did too when I was in high school- Ages and ages ago,” I laughed and Dana smiled, “But trust me, if you do this workout- You’ll be set!”

“Thanks Mags,” she said and I smiled and nodded my head and then headed back towards the guys to see that Sidney was beating Duchene.

-Kane-
I was breathing heavily, walking through of my house, just finishing my run when I heard the ringing of my laptop and ran over towards it. Maggie was calling me to Skype me, I smiled and pressed ‘talk’ and then smiled when I saw her smiling face.

“Hey!” Maggie smiled and I leaned against the counter and tried to catch my breath, only being able to wave to her, “What’s up?”

“Just came back from a run,” I said and she giggled and nodded her head.

“Gotchya,” she smiled and I held up a finger, asking her to wait as I walked over towards the fridge and grabbed a water, coming back and sitting on the stool in front of the laptop that was sitting on the table, “How was it?”

“Hot,” I laughed and she smiled and I saw that she was lying on her bed, “You in bed already?”

“I just got home from training, Dana’s in the shower and I’m tired,” she whined and I smiled and nodded my head, “I miss you.”

“I miss you too,” I said and then took my shirt off and tossed it to the floor because it was covered in sweat and heard Maggie sigh happily.

“Much better,” she said and I laughed and shook my head.

“So how’s training?” I asked and then took a sip of my water.

“I’d be lying if I said that it was easy,” she said and I chuckled and nodded my head.

“So, Tazer told me that he has to head to New York for a meeting in two days,” I said and Maggie sighed.

“Yeah, Sid got a call today, they were supposed to have a meeting in like three weeks, but moved it up- Honestly, it doesn’t look good for us,” she said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“That’s what I was afraid of,” I said and Maggie nodded her head, “If we don’t have a season, what are you going to do? Will you play overseas?”

“No,” she said and sighed, “I have to be here- Emma’s having her baby in December, she’ll be in Pittsburgh at the end of September, if we don’t have a season, then I’m going to stay here and watch over her.”

“You’re a good friend, Maggie,” I said and she sighed.

“She’s my best friend and carrying my brother’s child- I’m going to help either way,” she said and I nodded my head, “What are you going to do?”

“Me?” I asked and she nodded her head, “Oh, I’m going to be in Pittsburgh watching over my girlfriend’s best friend.”

“Pat!” she laughed and I smiled brightly, “You don’t have to stay for me- I know you’re going to want to play overseas.”

“I know I don’t have to,” I said and she looked at me, I was really wishing she was in front of me so I could kiss her, “I want to, I love you, Maggie.”

“I love you too, Pat,” she smiled and then sighed, “I really wish you were here.”

“Trust me Mags, me too,” I said and she nodded her head, “I’ll see you in a few weeks though, I promise, it’s going to go by fast.”

“Hey Pat,” she said and I looked at her, “If there is a lockout, when I come back, I wanna go on vacation.”

“Where?” I chuckled.

“I don’t know- the Caribbean? Bahamas, Cabo- I don’t care!” she said and I smirked, “You, me, Tazer, Sharpie, Abby- Or just you and me- I don’t care- I wanna go!”

“All right, babe, when we hear, I’ll plan something,” I said and she smiled and blew me a kiss.

“Love you.”

“Love you too.”

-Maggie-
We were half way through our training; there were only two more weeks, we worked out six times a week, only getting Sunday off and mostly that was spent either relaxing or exploring. Sidney and Jamie were in New York last week for three days, every Captain from each team was to be there, and they came back with news that there was now a ninety percent chance of a lockout, no one was agreeing with anything in the meetings.

“What are we going to do if there is a lockout, Sid?” I asked Sidney, we were in the kitchen making a peanut butter sandwich.

“We won’t be allowed in the Consol- that’s for one,” he said and sighed, “Who ever will be in Pittsburgh- which I’m only guessing will be you me, Duper, Cooke, Kuni- Basically whoever has kids.”

“Or who don’t want to go home,” I giggled and Sidney smirked towards me and rolled his eyes, “You haven’t been to Cole Harbour yet, Sid- Why don’t you go visit your family?”

“I was in Cole Harbour,” he said and I looked at him, “For a few days, I was living in my house!” he defended and I giggled.

“Were you able to relax in your home?” I asked and Sidney just sighed, “You should go home before you come back to Pittsburgh.”

“What about you? Will you go to Dallas?”

“I am, actually,” I said and Sidney looked at me, I was looking down, “If there’s a lockout, Pat and I are going to the Bahamas or someplace like that for a week or so- But I want to fly from Dallas because I want to see Mikey.”

“Just you and Kane? Or are you going with some of the other Hawks?”

“Um, I’m not sure, I think some of the hawks are coming- But to be honest, I don’t really care, I just wanna go,” I said and looked at Sidney to see him smirking.

“You sure are spending a lot of time with the Hawks,” Sidney chuckled and I looked at him.

“So?”

“Do they make you happy, Mags?” he asked me and I looked at him confused.

“No more than you guys, Sid,” I snapped.

“No! Wait! That’s not what I’m saying!” he said quickly and I looked at him, “All I’m saying is that I’m happy that you have the opportunity to be happy with other people.”

“Oh,” I said and nodded my head.

“You’re goin’ to end up goin’ to them, eh?” Sidney asked and I looked at him, “When your contract ends.”

“Yeah,” I said and sighed, “I’m most likely going to Chicago.”

“Well that sucks,” he said and I saw him smirking towards me, “I figured it was going to happen though.”

“We’ll see, Sid, maybe I’ll stay a Penguin forever,” I giggled and Sidney smiled and nodded his head.

“Did you hear about Tanger?” he asked and I looked at him and shook my head, “Catherine had the kid, they have a baby boy- Named it Alexander.”

“Good for him,” I said and then took a sip of my water, not saying a word, but I could feel Sidney’s eyes on me, ‘…It still hurts…’