‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Forty Nine

-Maggie-
“Hello my babies!” Maggie smiled as we walked into her home in Pittsburgh and I smiled and watched as all of her dogs ran towards her and she bent down to greet everyone one of them, “Thank your sister again for bringing them here.”

“All right,” I said and then walked into her house and placed my suitcase by the stair, I planned on staying in Pittsburgh until I got the call saying the season was going to start.

Vacation was over, it’s been over for about a week now, Maggie and I decided to stay in Chicago for a little while longer to enjoy the city. We ended up going to the home opener of the Chicago Bear’s game; they won against the Cincinnati Bengal Tigers.

“So who’s been watching them after Erica dropped them off?” I asked as Maggie stood up and plopped down on the couch next to me and draped her legs across my lap.

“Nicky, he’s back in Pittsburgh because school- Well, he’s been back for a few weeks for football training,” I said and he nodded his head.

“We should go to one of his games,” Pat said and I smiled towards him.

“Yeah?” I asked and Pat chuckled and nodded his head.

“Yeah, pull up their schedule- What else are we going to do?” he asked and I smiled and nodded my head.

“You sure you don’t want to sign a contract with Swiss? I know they offered you something- And Seguin will be going,” I said and watched as Pat smiled and shook his head.

“Nope, you’re stuck with me,” he said and I giggled and nodded my head, pulling up Nick’s schedule on my phone and seeing that this weekend they were home.

“Let’s go this Saturday,” I said and Pat nodded his head, “They’re playing Gardner-Webb University.”

“Where’s that?” he asked and I had to look it up because I didn’t know.

“North Carolina,” I said and he nodded his head.

“We can go to a Steelers game too,” Pat said and I giggled, “What?”

“Don’t judge,” I said and he snorted, “But I don’t like the Steelers- Actually, I can’t stand them or the Eagles.”

“You don’t support your city’s football team?” Pat laughed, “That’s awesome!”

“Nope, neither did Mikey, he’s a Dolphin’s fan and I love the Patriots!” I said and Pat just laughed and shook his head.

“Well, we can go to Boston to a Patriots game then,” he said and I smiled and nodded my head.

I heard my phone going off and saw that it was Mario calling me, “Hello.”

“Maggie, hi! Back from vacation?” he said and I laughed.

“Yeah, just got back today actually,” I said and Pat stretched on the couch and looked like he wanted to take a nap.

“Oh good, I was wondering if you would be able to come in today- I’m sorry for the short notice,” he said and I stood up and walked towards the kitchen.

“Sure, what time?” I asked, really wishing that I didn’t have to because I was tired like Pat.

“Really as soon as you can,” he said and I rubbed my face.

“Sure, give me a few minutes, I’ll be there,” I said and then grabbed my keys from the counter and said goodbye, “Pat,” I called and walked back into the living room to see Pat lying on the couch.

“Yeah,” he said tiredly and then yawned and I walked over towards him.

“I’ll be right back, I have to go to the Consol really quick, Mario wants to see me,” I said and Pat nodded his head. I leaned down and kissed his cheek and then headed out door and towards my Escalade.

It didn’t take me long to get to the Consol, it was about a half hour drive. I got there and saw Sidney’s Rover there; I smiled and then headed into the arena and towards the stairs to the next level. I walked towards Mario’s office. I heard my name and turned to see Sidney walking.

“Hey!” he smiled and jogged over towards me and pulled me in for a hug, “Haven’t seen you- How are you?”

“I’m fine, just got back from vacation,” I said and he nodded his head.

“Where did you go?”

“Canary Islands,” I said and he smiled and nodded his head.

“I know Nealer was saying that he saw pictures on Twitter and Instagram of you and some of the Hawks,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Yeah, some of them came with us,” I said and looked towards Mario’s office, “You heard to see Mario?”

“Yeah, just got back from New York.”

“Oh, how are the meetings?”

“Not looking good for us,” he said sadly and I nodded my head, “Mario needed to leave early, missed the last meeting, so I’m here to tell him what happened.”

“Oh, gotchya.”

“What about you?”

“Not sure, he just called and asked if I could come in,” I said and Sidney just looked at me, “What?”

“Nothing, I just wonder what he walks to talk to you about,” Sidney said and I nodded my head.

We both walked towards Mario’s office and knocked, Sidney opened the door and peaked inside and then opened it all the way.

“Oh, you’re both here,” Mario laughed and Sidney and I walked in and saw Dan sitting at desk.

“Hey Disco,” I smiled and Coach chuckled and gave me a wave.

“How was your vacation, Mags?” Coach asked and I nodded my head.

“Pretty cool, but I think I brought the beach home with me, when I was cleaning out my suitcase there was so much sand in m clothes it wasn’t even funny,” I said and Mario and Coach chuckled.

“Have a seat you too,” Mario said and we nodded our heads and I took the middle seat with Coach on my right while Sidney took the seat to my left, “So, Sid,” I looked towards Sidney and saw him grabbing some papers, “Can you tell me what happened at the last meeting?”

“Nothing really different from the other meetings, we tried to persuade the League- But they’re not having it,” Sidney said and Mario nodded his head. They continued to talk for a while, I zoned in and out on a lot of it, mostly talking about league stuff and I was just looking for the words that would tell me that the season would be starting.

“So Maggie,” I looked towards Maggie, “You’re in here for three things really.”

“Three?” I laughed, “Wow, have a lot on your mind?” Mario chuckled and then pulled out some papers, “So what’s first.”

“Well- I guess it’s a good thing you came when you did Sid,” Mario said and Sidney chuckled, “We’ve been talkin’ Maggie,” he said and I nodded my head, “And we like what we see on and off the ice.”

“Thank you,” I said and Mario nodded his head.

“Now I know the loss of Mike hit you hard, and we’re not sure how you’re playing right now- And won’t know until we’re allowed back on the ice, but when the season starts, we’d like to sow this onto your sweater,” Mario said and then handed me an ‘A’ and my eyes widened, “I know the last one was temporary until Geno came back- But this time, I’d like you and G to both be our Assistant Captains.”

“Oh wow,” I said and then smiled brightly, “Really?”

“Yes,” Mario laughed and I looked towards Coach and Sidney, they both nodded their heads.

“Thank you.”

“You deserve it,” Coach said and then patted my back, “With Staalsy and Talbo gone- I don’t need to worry about you stepping it up on the ice,” he said and I nodded my head, “Sid said that you worked hard during your training with Andy this summer.”

“That’s an understatement,” I giggled and they laughed.

“Ok I lied, there are four things we need to discuss,” Mario said as he looked at his paper, “Three more now.”

“Ok,” I laughed.

“Because you are starting to be noticed more and more on the Penguins, not only for being an exceptional player, but for also being a woman, companies are wanting to represent you and give you endorsement deals,” Mario said and I nodded my head, “Now usually those companies call the players’ agents to discuss some kind of promotion- Since you do not have an agent, they contacted me.”

“They?”

“Covergirl would like to do an interview with you and would like for you to represent their brand. They want to do a commercial with you and a few other celebrities called ‘Girls Can’,” he said and I nodded my head, “You would need to go out to LA for a week if you accepted that.”

“Yeah, it sounds pretty cool, when would I need to be there?”

“Next week,” Mario said and I nodded my head, “Also, I took the liberty on hiring you an agent,” he said and I just blinked, “Her name is Tosha and she’s very good at what she does.”

“Oh, ok cool,” I said and Mario nodded his head.

“You’ll meet her on Sunday, since you accepted this Covergirl deal, she’ll go to LA with you and you’ll both leave on Monday,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Ok, so ‘A’, Covergirl, agent,” I listed, “That’s three, what’s next?”

Mario laughed and then looked at a paper and handed it to me, I looked at it and saw a list of countries, “This is the list of all of the countries that will be participating in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi,” Mario said and I looked at him.

“But this is the men’s list,” I said, it clearly said ‘men’ at the top.

“Yes, I know you played with the women in 2010,” Mario said and I nodded my head, “We’re trying to get you in on the men’s team.”

“Really?!” I asked, smiling brightly.

“Yes, the league and I are having meetings with the other countries- Especially Russia, but, we’re pulling for you to play with the guys that you’re more comfortable with.”

“That’ll be awesome!” I laughed.

“Now I can’t make any promises, but I just wanted you to know that we were trying,” Mario said and I nodded my head.

“Thank you!”

“With or without you,” Sidney said and I looked at him, “Canada’s still gunna win.”

“We’ll see about that, Crosby!” I smirked and the guys laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
That smile!!!