‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Five

“Pat, honestly, I’m all right,” I giggled as I walked into my house and bent to see my happy puppies, “I’m just sore, but I’m not broken.”

“I think I honestly stopped breathing when I saw that,” he said and I sighed and saw Mike coming into the house behind me.

“Sorry,” I said and he chuckled.

“It’s all right, I’m just happy you’re all right,” he said and I walked towards the back door and opened it so that all the dogs could go outside.

“Yeah, you and me both,” I said and smirked towards Mike.

“Hey, can I call you back later, I need to head in for practice,” Pat said and I smiled sadly, trying to remember that this was how it was going to be, sometimes our schedules were going to suck.

“Yeah, I’ll talk to you later,” I said and pushed myself onto the counter.

“All right, see ya, babe,” he said and we said our goodbyes and hung up.

“What’s with the sad face?” Mike asked as his face was in the fridge, he wasn’t even looking at me.

“How do you do that?” I giggled and his face appeared and he smirked.

“You’re my sister and I’m just that awesome,” he said and I rolled my eyes, “So what’s wrong?”

“I don’t know, I just have to get used to the fact that my relationship with Pat is gunna be totally different from with Kris,” I said and Mike closed the door, an apple in his hand and he leaned against the counter across from me.

“Long distance relationships are tough,” he said and I nodded my head, “But, you both have to be willing to work for it. Are you willing?”

“I am,” I said and Mike smirked, “And I think Pat is- I mean, he flew in and surprised me for Valentine’s Day.”

“I’ll admit, the kid is starting to prove to me that he really likes you,” Mike said and bit into his apple, “Do you love him?”

“I don’t know,” I said and looked down, “I want the relationship to grow and to take it slow.”

“Well, I think being apart so much, you’re definitely taking it slow,” he said and I snorted, “Have ya slept with him yet?”

“MIKEY!!!” I yelled and glared at him.

“What?”

“None of your business! Do I ask you about your sex life with Emma?” I asked and he smirked.

“No, but you don’t have to, I know that she tells you,” he said and I rolled my eyes.

“And I get grossed out every single time and beg her to stop,” I said and he chuckled.

“So have you?”

“NO!” I yelled and he looked at me and smirked.

“Well then, you’re taking the whole slow right,” he said and I sighed and heard the front door slam closed.

“MAGGIE!!!” I heard and watched as Nick ran into the kitchen.

“Who are you again?” I teased because I hadn’t seen him in a while.

“Are you all right? I saw the game!” he asked and game over towards me, “I tried to call, but none of you answered your phones.”

“Sorry,” we said and he nodded his head.

“I’m fine, Nicky, just sore,” I said and he sighed and nodded his head.

The doorbell rang and I looked towards the doorway kitchen, “Knock, knock!”

“Kitchen!” I yelled, figuring that it was my teammates. Sidney appeared in the doorway and I smirked towards him, “What’s up?”

“Saw your brother dart in, figured the door was open,” he said and I smirked and nodded my head.

“What can I do for you?” I asked and he hopped onto the counter next to me.

“Two things,” he said and I nodded my head, “Are you all right?”

“Yes,” I groaned, tired of hearing that questions.

“All right, shesh,” he said and I giggled and bumped my shoulder into his, “And I need to talk to you,” he said and looked towards my brothers, “Alone.”

“Oh, I get it,” Mike said and rolled his eyes, “I’m not allowed in the conversation.”

“No, so scoot,” I said and Sidney chuckled and we watched as Mike and Nick walked out of the kitchen, “All the way gone, guys!” I yelled, knowing that they were right outside the doorway.

“Damn,” Nick muttered and I giggled.

“So what’s up?” I asked and he looked at me and sighed, “You look worried.”

“Nervous,” he said and I turned to face him, crossing my legs on the counter.

“About what?”

“Um, well, I need advice,” he said and I snorted, “Seriously.”

“Ok, ok, with what?” I asked and he looked at me.

“There’s this girl,” he said and my eyes widened and I smiled brightly.

“Finally! Captain Canada is finally getting’ it!” I yelled and Sidney’s face turned bright red and I hugged him, “Ok, ok, sorry, tell me about her and what’s the problem?”

“Well, she’s awesome, so she’s not really the problem,” he said and played with his fingers.

“What does she do?”

“She’s a teller at the bank that I go to,” he said and I smirked, “We’ve been on about two dates and I really like her, but I’m nervous about letting her in.”

“Why?” I asked and he looked at me.

“I’m me,” he said and sighed, “Sidney Crosby,” he said and waved his hands in the air and I giggled.

“And I’m Maggie Marshall,” I said and looked at Sidney, “What’s the point?”

“Yeah, but, you’re not the face of the NHL, Mags- No offense,” I said and she sighed and nodded her head.

“Sid, it’s hard, I can’t begin to understand how you must feel and how much pressure you’re under all the time,” I said and he nodded his head, “But if this girl makes you happy, then it’s time to create a new Sidney Crosby and let her into your world. If you know that she’s not going to be after you for your fame or money, then give her a chance. If it doesn’t work out- Then at least you tried. What are you afraid of?”

“That she might not like what she’ll find. She won’t like the schedules, the fact that I’ll be away a lot,” he said and sighed.

“Sid, you can’t be afraid of girls,” I said and he chuckled, “One day, you’re gunna have to separate yourself from hockey and find something, or someone else that makes you happy.”

“It’s gunna be hard,” he said and I giggled.

“Is anything ever easy,” I said and he looked at me.

“It’s basically a long distance relationship, even though we’re in the same city,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head, “How do you do it?”

I looked at him and sighed, “I’m not going to tell you it’s easy or simple- because it’s not,” I said and he nodded his head, “But, you need to have trust and patience and willingness to work hard for this relationship.”

“I heard what Kane did,” he said and I looked at him, “Surprising you on Valentine’s Day,” Sidney said and I smiled and nodded my head, “He seems like he’s really in it with you.”

“And we’re both trying,” I said and Sidney nodded his head, “Sid, with this girl, isn’t not going to be worth it if you’re not willing to try hard.”

“I know,” he said and then sighed.

“Do you have a picture of her?” I asked and he smiled and nodded his head, pulling out his phone and pulling up a picture. I smiled when I took the phone and looked down at picture of Sidney holding a small blonde haired girl with bright blue eyes and a white smile, “What’s her name?”

“Kasey,” he said a smile and his face.

“She’s really pretty,” I said and Sidney smiled and nodded his head.

“And you’re not gunna believe this,” he said smirking and shaking his head, as if he couldn’t believe what he was about to tell me, “She’s a Flyer fan.”

“NO WAY!!!”